CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-08-2018

Hey that might be fun to pack busses full of fans!
Old 01-08-2018

When arguing, or conversing if whether injected nitro is better than blown alcohol, I always go to that heat wave of a pair of cars flying down the track. That heat wave from 4 nitro cars is the experience that should put fans in the seats. The problem lies in the fact the stands are so far away from these lanes the effect is lost.
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyback View Post
What is the reason that only the pro categories race 4-wide? It seems that if the allure of 4-wide racing is the uniqueness and entertainment value of this type racing format, then there is merit for racing all classes in this fashion. The 4 lanes are for this purpose, but not used? Why is that?
The feeling is that the fuel cars cause "Shock & Awe" from the noise and vibrations resulting in the interest in 4 wide. 4 Z/S automatics don't have much "Shock & Awe" or extra entertainment value but they deserve to have their time on track if they paid their money. One thing that 4 wide does is to require 4 qualifying passes to give everyone an equal shot at each lane. If the other classes have no "Shock & Awe" value & they only get 2 qualifiers they can run on the same part of the track getting to run each lane both in qualifying and eliminations. This is a reason that all the Pro Classes require 4 instead of 3 since some would be out of luck if they are on the wrong side of the qualifying line up. The draw back for the Pro cars with sponsors is that instead of a whole 14/15 (30 with qualifying) seconds of Prime time on track exposure they have a maximum of about 11/22. That is pretty expensive TV and on track time. I know you see more during the burn outs - staging & shut down, but not much unless the sponsor buys commercial time.

This brings up a point of why a sponsor would want to spend several million dollars to sponsor a car that has the possibility of "6" minutes (12 counting qualifying) of on track time if they win every round of every race for the whole season. I think Super Bowl ads are less expensive than for cars actual on track exposure.
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
The draw back for the Pro cars with sponsors is that instead of a whole 14/15 (30 with qualifying) seconds of Prime time on track exposure they have a maximum of about 11/22. That is pretty expensive TV and on track time. I know you see more during the burn outs - staging & shut down, but not much unless the sponsor buys commercial time.

This brings up a point of why a sponsor would want to spend several million dollars to sponsor a car that has the possibility of "6" minutes (12 counting qualifying) of on track time if they win every round of every race for the whole season. I think Super Bowl ads are less expensive than for cars actual on track exposure.
Not only is the time on track in front of the crowd and TV viewers reduced, that time is now split between 4 cars instead of two. If four cars are doing burnouts, I can only watch one at a time. Sure I will try to look at all of them but at least one is going to be shortchanged more than if I were only looking at two cars on the track at a time.

Iíve not make it to a 4 way yet and am looking forward to it at least once. Course I also made it to the Flamingo Races in Puerto Rico once. (Donít go! Itís a rip off!)

Iím expecting the 4 way to be significantly more funÖ (Am I the only guy that wishes they came up with a better term than ď4 wayĒ?)
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
2018 Superbowl ad is around $5M for 30 sec.
An average of 111.3M watched 2017 Superbowl.
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
2018 Superbowl ad is around $5M for 30 sec.
An average of 111.3M watched 2017 Superbowl.
That’s $166,666.67 per second or like paying $22.26 per person for them to watch a 30 second commercial. (74 cents per second per person)
The problem for the advertiser is that too many are in the john…
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Not only is the time on track in front of the crowd and TV viewers reduced, that time is now split between 4 cars instead of two. If four cars are doing burnouts, I can only watch one at a time.
Yes, 4-wide is a little confusing to watch but if Derrick Kramer keeps doing the burnouts like he's been doing in 2017, All eyes are going to be on him. Great for sponsor exposure.
Old 01-09-2018

Itís too hard to watch I have moved all over the place at zmax. Cool to see the first time. After that not that interested
Old 01-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddyhahn View Post
Itís too hard to watch I have moved all over the place at zmax. Cool to see the first time. After that not that interested
which is what will happen at vegas.again,what a shame
Old 01-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Thatís $166,666.67 per second or like paying $22.26 per person for them to watch a 30 second commercial. (74 cents per second per person)
The problem for the advertiser is that too many are in the johnÖ
Correction on your math $5,000,000 per 30 second advertisement divided by 111,300,000 viewers is $0.045 cost per viewer.

So if NHRA has average 500,000 viewers x .05 for each viewer add should cost $25,000. in comparison