CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 06-13-2018

Default Save your pennies!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/6518...ion-price-tag/
Old 06-13-2018
Super Moderator

Holy Moly! 12 Mil!!??!!
Old 06-13-2018

Yeah but what can you do with it? Let it sit parked and stare at it? It's cool and all, but no matter how wealthy I was, I'd find something else more fun to drop $12m on....... like put another driver in a Kalitta car for 2-3 seaons.... or see if Millican would be intersted in fielding a 2nd car.... or go P/M or T/A racing for the next 6 or 7 years..... or buy/build a bad ass off shore cigarette.
Old 06-14-2018

... yeah, I put these in the category of a diecast, 1 of 3, and 1:1 scale. For display purposes only... and in one of those environment controlled bubbles like a diecast in its original sealed box. Of course you would have to also put it on blocks so you wouldn't flat-spot the tires, lol, $12M car on blocks.

I'm not sure I would even want to start it. It would be my luck with a car this old, it would spring a leak, catch fire, and burn to the ground.
Old 06-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Yeah but what can you do with it?
Use it as a supermodel-magnet.....what else?
Old 06-14-2018

With that kind of coin, you can get an Aventador, an F1, a LaFerrari, and a Chiron and magnetize four of them... plus actually drive them around in all 4!
Old 06-14-2018

I suspect that anyone actually interested in buying this car is only looking at the investment opportuinty.

But how cool would it be to win PowerBall and be the guy who "Barrel-rolls $12 Million, rare car, emerges unharmed and in hysterics. Follows up with lunch with latest super-model girlfriend"?
Old 06-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
I suspect that anyone actually interested in buying this car is only looking at the investment opportuinty.
Just like buying/selling Hot Wheels, except on a smaller budget:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Wheels-...oAAOSwA4BbIHx3

Pound for pound maybe not.
Old 06-14-2018

$40,000? And it's only 15 years old????
Old 06-15-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
I suspect that anyone actually interested in buying this car is only looking at the investment opportunity.
It's more than an investment RVT.

All GT40's are in private hands (with one exception Mark IV J6, the 1967 Le Mans winner is owned by FoMoCo.) and the vast majority are driven on track on a regular basis, including this car going up for auction, GT40 P/1016. The owners of these cars consider themselves "caretakers of history". So do I....

This article goes into some greater detail on the car's history and significance. The detailed photos show it's been driven, a lot, by it's current caretaker. One of the many neat things about is that it was campaigned by Holman-Moody.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/14/...on-famous-car/

This article details how the car has been used over the years with it's current caretaker....

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/chas...T40P-1016.html

My hope is it's next owner cares for it in the same way others have. By driving it.

By the way, I saw 1966 GT40 P/1046 (1966 Le Mans winner), Mark IV J6 & J5 (1st and 2nd 1967 Le Mans) and several others at the 25th Anniversary GT40 Reunion at Road America in 1994. I don't recall if P/1016 was there, but prints from film are in my collection. I'll look and scan as I'm able.

By the way, yes, my enthusiasm for these cars is notable. I've followed them since they raced, won and were reported on in every newspaper in the world. Shelby American was among the teams that campaigned them, and the team's photographer Dave Friedman was and still is an inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Yeah but what can you do with it? Let it sit parked and stare at it? It's cool and all, but no matter how wealthy I was, I'd find something else more fun to drop $12m on....... like put another driver in a Kalitta car for 2-3 seaons.... or see if Millican would be intersted in fielding a 2nd car.... or go P/M or T/A racing for the next 6 or 7 years..... or buy/build a bad ass off shore cigarette.
Your choice obviously, but if I had the means I wouldn't burn my money on a TF car, and I sure as hell wouldn't waste it on a tub like that.

I would buy, and use P/1016. Then get my money back (and then some) when it was time to turn it over to another.

----------------------------