CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 08-10-2014

Default Tony Stewart

I figure this is going to come up on these boards sooner or later... most likely in the NHRA board only to get moved to here.

So what's everyone's thoughts on this?

One of my thoughts is that NASACR and all other racing series needs to ramp up their rules about walking around on the race track an take the same stance as NHRA on this. Look what just happend to Vandergriff a few minths ago. And there wasn't even a threat of a single car running him down.

Circle track racing series seem to love this sort of the sort of drama (jumping out of cars, throwing helmets at cars, fights in winner's circle etc. But now this 20 yr. old kid has paid the ultimate price for such a culture existing.

Also, I'm wondering how thrilled the fans at that track will be to ever have Stweart back again. I just read that he's admitted to having caused a 15 car wreck there last year.
Old 08-10-2014

It won't be long before towing a car through the crowded pits with only the horn honking (and a police siren here and there) will not be enough.

btw, I miss having cameramen on the starting line.
Old 08-11-2014

The media is having a field day with this. For one they are pumping up that Tony's and Kevin's cars made contact. From the brief video that I saw, the contact was small and far from a punt, I was surprised that Kevin's car even spun.

I have no idea what the visibility is like in a sprint car let alone under the lights with a cloud of dust hovering over the track. But getting out of your car and walking to the middle of the track is a very bad idea even if the yellow flag is out.

As the original post points out, this is a common practice (confronting a car on-track after a wreck) and has gone on for years now. But I am pretty certain that NASCAR will put a stop to it in no uncertain terms.
Old 08-11-2014
Administrator

http://montedutton.com/blog/2014/08/10/nobody-wins/

----------------------------
Old 08-11-2014

It lead the national news yesterday on all 3 networks. We just started bombing Iraq again, Ukraine, and Israel did not top this incident.

On these 3 shows, after they said the talking points, they then aired Tony in scuffles throughout his career, showing a history of "nascar's moments", and talked about last years broken leg. Connecting him as a hot head without really saying it verbally. Today, the 3 network morning shows are running the same clip(s) as well as commenting on it...all of it's not good.

After watching the news (everybody being reminded that this is accepted in nascar, as well as seeing that it was more important to air first than the other hot spots in the world), then when racing and especially non racing fans begin to google and watch the unedited clip, and hear Tony step on the gas right before he hit him, I bet many will see Tony/nascar in whole different way from here on out.

Tony's PR spin machine needs to be out there now to stop some of this if they can. The next race will be absolutely unreal in media terms.
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
It lead the national news yesterday on all 3 networks. We just started bombing Iraq again, Ukraine, and Israel did not top this incident.

On these 3 shows, after they said the talking points, they then aired Tony in scuffles throughout his career, showing a history of "nascar's moments", and talked about last years broken leg. Connecting him as a hot head without really saying it verbally. Today, the 3 network morning shows are running the same clip(s) as well as commenting on it...all of it's not good.

After watching the news (everybody being reminded that this is accepted in nascar, as well as seeing that it was more important to air first than the other hot spots in the world), then when racing and especially non racing fans begin to google and watch the unedited clip, and hear Tony step on the gas right before he hit him, I bet many will see Tony/nascar in whole different way from here on out.

Tony's PR spin machine needs to be out there now to stop some of this if they can. The next race will be absolutely unreal in media terms.
Well it's no secret - Tony does need some anger management counseling. Given his past, I wouldn't be shocked if he intentionally spun the kid out. After reading that he admitted to causing a 15 car wreck at the same race last year, it's apparent he's way to aggressive to be racing on these smaller tracks.
Old 08-11-2014

*From the brief video that I saw, the contact was small and far from a punt, I was surprised that Kevin's car even spun.*

It was hard enough to piss the kid off enough that the kid wanted to confront Tony.

And Tony has no room to blame the kid, heck he was just doing wht he's seen Tony do dozens of times in the past.
Old 08-11-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
And Tony has no room to blame the kid.
Where exactly is there a direct quote from Tony Stewart in which he blames Ward for what happened?

----------------------------
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Where exactly is there a direct quote from Tony Stewart in which he blames Ward for what happened?
Didn't mean to imply he did blame Ward. I'm just stating facts. And the fact is, Tony contributed to the culture in which killed Ward as did NASCAR and other circle track sanctioning bodies by not taking a much stricter stance on such incidents.

But as I suggested in my first post, NASCAR and the others turned a blind eye to these scenarios because they drove their ratings up.
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
*From the brief video that I saw, the contact was small and far from a punt, I was surprised that Kevin's car even spun.*

It was hard enough to piss the kid off enough that the kid wanted to confront Tony.

And Tony has no room to blame the kid, heck he was just doing wht he's seen Tony do dozens of times in the past.
I haven't heard Tony blame the kid, nor would I expect him to. When he caused a 15 car pile up, he admited it rather than shift blame. I'm no Tony Stewart fan, but I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt in an incident this serious until some evidence is produced that shows he acted with malice.