CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 08-11-2014

Default .

Rusty Wallace pegged it when he said Stewart had no business dabbling in smaller races at this point. Too much too loose being a multi car / team owner. "If something were to go wrong" he said, it would effect too many people. I personlly do not think he will be charged criminally. However, I do see a (huge) wrongful death suit in his future. Regardless of fault, someone is dead and he was directly involved.
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICK60FT View Post
Rusty Wallace pegged it when he said Stewart had no business dabbling in smaller races at this point. Too much too loose being a multi car / team owner. "If something were to go wrong" he said, it would effect too many people. I personlly do not think he will be charged criminally. However, I do see a (huge) wrongful death suit in his future. Regardless of fault, someone is dead and he was directly involved.
Tony started in this form of racing and it still burns in him, as long as he is passionate about it he should continue. To suggest that Tony should stop is like suggesting that any of the big Top Fuel drivers should not to small match races around the country. All Rusty is at this point is yet another mouthpiece for NAZCAR and is clearly thinking only of money.

I've only seen one video clip and only saw it once. But from that clip, I didn't see anything to suggest that there was any criminal action. The kid did a very dumb thing that many, many others have done in the past. In fact I am very surprised that something like this not happened before.

As far as a wrongful death lawsuit goes...I don't think so but who knows? The kid got out of the safest place he could be (inside his car) and went to the absolutely most dangerous place he could have been (a live racetrack, yellow flag or not). Throw in the fact that it was dark, dusty, and his suit was black, and I'm at a loss to pin blame on Tony.

But we all know that juries have collectively come up with some of the stupidest decisions ever.
Old 08-11-2014

The kid was dumb, but I have a hard time doubting that Tony did his best to get as close to the kid to make him flinch for pointing him out. The video follows the 45 car, seems Ward took two more steps closer to the bottom of the track, tony looked to buzz him, hit the gas probably to kick dirt on the kid and instead fish tailed and took him out. Those cars sure fly around the track under caution though.

The thing with stewart, he has no wife or kids, he races. He does not go to movies, he races. He has grown too far in the business world of nascar to keep doing this, but I guess he is the star of the little shows and gets his pick of the litter after.

As far as a wrongful death suit, Ward has more blame in this matter than stewart does. I think Tony ends up legally getting away with things again, probably offers something to the family but cannot see him losing a wrongful death suit.

as far as rules, its simple, you leave a vehicle that is not on fire and walk the track you are suspended for many races. Even if it was on fire, you stay on the high side of the track.
Old 08-11-2014

Tony committed no crime. But he does share a bit of fault in this with the fact he helped create the cultire in which it was OK to get out of your car on the race surface and confront a driver you feel made you crash. NASCAR, despite not being the sanctioning body of the race in which this occurred, shares a larger prt of the blame for creating such a culture. It was all fun and great for rating$ while it lasted. Is that enough for a lawsuit? Hell no. It's just a shame it took a death to chnge things... that is IF changes are ineed made.

And what Rusty was saying was that by going out there and racing at all these small tracks is greatly increasing the odds of something like this happening, NOTHING MORE. By going out and getting his kicks racing on these smll trcks he's putting the careers and livelyhood of all his employees at risk.
Old 08-11-2014

20 year old made a bad decision and paid for it. Looked like he was trying to get close to Stewart, Stewart had a car in front of him, 45 almost clipped him, you steer those cars with the throttle. Maybe he did try to buzz him, who knows. On the street when things dart out at you is bad. I don't think anybody told the kid to get out of his car but him. Hell Pablo hit a track dryer. Stop the blaming, its a bad tragic accident, they happen from time to time. The stagger and rear width of those cars,,,, its hard to say. A lot of variables. A tragic accident.
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Tony committed no crime. But he does share a bit of fault in this with the fact he helped create the cultire in which it was OK to get out of your car on the race surface and confront a driver you feel made you crash. NASCAR, despite not being the sanctioning body of the race in which this occurred, shares a larger prt of the blame for creating such a culture. It was all fun and great for rating$ while it lasted. Is that enough for a lawsuit? Hell no. It's just a shame it took a death to chnge things... that is IF changes are ineed made.

And what Rusty was saying was that by going out there and racing at all these small tracks is greatly increasing the odds of something like this happening, NOTHING MORE. By going out and getting his kicks racing on these smll trcks he's putting the careers and livelyhood of all his employees at risk.
Tony had nothing to do with creating the fight culture in stock car racing, he was 8 when the fight that put NASCAR on the map happened at Daytona. He certainly has not shied away from the culture but he had nothing to do with creating it. If blame is to be placed then blame the sanctioning body for allowing it to foster all these years.

I'm repeating myself but saying that Tony should not be part of races like this is like saying that the Pedragon brothers (or any other fuel racer for that matter) should not match race. I just don' agree. And I suspect that if you polled his employees, they all would say its OK for the boss to race in other series on his off days.
Old 08-11-2014

I'll agree to that to some etent RVT. As to him racing the small tracks, ech track or sanctioning boby has the right to exclude whoever they wish. And it should be interesting to see how welcome Tony will be back at that track by anyone but the track owner loving the attention a racer like Tony brings.

NASCAR would be wise at this point to disallow their Whatever Cup it is this year's racers from racing anywhere but a NASCAR event.
Old 08-11-2014

^^^ Wait...what? Are you writing this stuff coming from the Associated Press that is all over the media now?

Watch the video...they're side by side coming down the front stretch and go into turn 1 side by side. Tony slides up, kid panics, jumps the cushion, and spins his car 1 1/2 times. Cars never make contact, and even if they did touch, so what? Happens every single night at every single dirt track; doesn't matter if it's a 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 mile. Routine deal.

The kid made a bad decision by exiting his car on an active track and he paid dearly. But he put this in play, not Tony.

To ban him from short track dirt racing is extremely ignorant, in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2014

It didn't lead the national news today, but it was close:

ABC: 1.Riots 2.Tony
NBC: 1.Riots 2.Iraq 3.Tony
CBS: 1.Riots 2.Iraq 3.Tony

All 3 went into Tony's temper footage again and nascar footage of their acceptance of this behavior. No other sport footage. I am so glad they didn't mix the Doug/Clay Force/Tony Force/Beard clips in it.

NBC's Brian Williams started his segment off by saying: "One person is dead and Tony is in a lot of trouble"

CBS's segment went into more detail as well as them saying Tony's has had confrontations with the racers, the media, and the public with video examples of each.

None mentioned road rage and the mistakes Ward made. It was all Tony bashing and that he killed a guy.
Old 08-11-2014

Morbid and totally insensitive for me to say I know, but with Robin Williams sudden passing today, this story will be shuffled to the bottom.

RIP Robin Williams