CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 08-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
The safety innovation that came from Darrel Russell's tragedy was embraced 100% by NHRA and all teams.
That one was reitively inexpensive and fairly east to fabricate and install. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think the rules call for the shields to be titanium and can be chromoly.... I think it's the teams that opt for the Ti.
Old 08-26-2015
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
That one was reitively inexpensive and fairly east to fabricate and install. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think the rules call for the shields to be titanium and can be chromoly.... I think it's the teams that opt for the Ti.
Yeah, I think you're right. This was one of those safety adds where we all said "why didn't we do that sooner"? Looking back it made total sense but just was missed I guess.
Old 08-26-2015

The roundy round boys refused the Hans device till Dale was killed and NASCAR made it the rule.
Kenny Erwin, Neil Bonnet, Adam Petty and others weren't enough. Dale himself fought against using it. Who needs to Die before Indy car and F1 see the light. The upside down car danger is not valid, if an open wheel car is upside down it will still take awhile to get them out.
Old 08-26-2015
Super Moderator

I really thought when Felipi Massa was hit in the head and injured badly with debris in '09 that they were going to do something then.
Old 08-26-2015

I like the idea of having nozzles from a fire system in the cockpit. I DON"T like the idea of having fire nozzles in the enclosed cockpit I am strapped into.

Also, if the glass is strong enough to deflect an object from coming into the cockpit and harming the driver, the glass is strong enough to deflect the tools rescue workers may have to use to break it in the event the latch gets jammed.
Old 08-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc View Post
The roundy round boys refused the Hans device till Dale was killed and NASCAR made it the rule.
Kenny Erwin, Neil Bonnet, Adam Petty and others weren't enough. Dale himself fought against using it. Who needs to Die before Indy car and F1 see the light. The upside down car danger is not valid, if an open wheel car is upside down it will still take awhile to get them out.
And now NASCAR drivers are so tightly enclosed and their heads so restrained that they can't see a car right next to them. They are constantly crashing by clipping a nose or a tail of a car that the driver just didn't see. Now the spotter is almost as important as the driver. I don't know what the numbers are but my impression is that they crash more now than ever.
Old 08-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
And now NASCAR drivers are so tightly enclosed and their heads so restrained that they can't see a car right next to them. They are constantly crashing by clipping a nose or a tail of a car that the driver just didn't see. Now the spotter is almost as important as the driver. I don't know what the numbers are but my impression is that they crash more now than ever.
And it would be interesting to see the numbers on neck injuries compared to pre-HANS days.
Old 08-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
There were plenty of reports that Earnhardt had unclipped his seatbelts when he got hit and thats what snapped his neck.
Old 08-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
There were plenty of reports that Earnhardt had unclipped his seatbelts when he got hit and thats what snapped his neck.
You know I heard so many conflicting reports that I still don't feel like I know what happened. Stuff like DE Sr. unclipped himself or the EMT workers cut the belts.

Didn't all that wind up a a lawsuit by Simpson because he felt NASCAR threw him (his belts) under the bus as the scapegoat?
Old 08-27-2015

Boats have been using capsules for the driver since the early 90's...have they helped?...Yes...can you still get hurt?...Yes