CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 12-17-2017
Super Moderator

Default Summit Motorsports Park Will Undergo New Racing Surface

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...reconstruction
Old 12-17-2017

If only this track was in Cleveland, where there are way more hotel rooms and a major airport.
Old 12-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm Man View Post
If only this track was in Cleveland, where there are way more hotel rooms and a major airport.
I get what you’re saying but I’ve had a hard time finding a decent room at at logical price in both markets, small and large.

It looks to me like a lot of tracks that aren’t in major metro areas do very well. Tracks like Gainesville, Norwalk, Brainerd, Cordoba, Valdosta, Orlando and Bradenton just to name a few. Sure some of the tracks in major markets do well too but their overhead has to be significantly higher and typically the hotel room prices are higher too.

I would think it would be a bigger risk for a major market track to make a consistently high profit when their racing programs have to compete with cities major sports teams and all the other entertainment options every big metropolitan city offers. They have too many options competing for entertainment dollars and those tracks typically still have a higher overhead.

Add in the seemingly constant threat from the people surrounding the track complaining about noise and traffic and the tracks are always on their heels trying to protect their business. Look what Pomona’s going through.. again. (Yes, the complaints are probably just the County getting the price for NHRA to use the facility up. But in Norwalk, the Bader’s called their counties bluff by threatening to move the track and it must have worked for them to want to invest in more major improvements.)

The tracks that are a “big deal” to their community can do just a few smart things to keep the local government happy where the major market tracks are just a small duck in a very large pond. The hotels in those smaller market areas are big supporters of the tracks where the big city tracks hotels probably wish the “dirty drag racers” would just go away.

Besides.. do you really want to go to Cleveland?
(No, I haven't been there in 40 years, but I wasn't impressed then..)
Old 12-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm Man View Post
Cleveland? blech, LOL it's already too close to that mistake by the lake as it is!

There's tons of hotels just up the road in Sandusky, but the problem is it's a very popular resort area. You might want to look into Huron, OH. too.
Old 12-17-2017

I don't live in Cleveland, however it's is not what you think it is. Anybody been to Shaker Heights?

Yes the weather in the winter isn't the best, there are no forest fires, landslides etc.

Good hard working people there.
Old 12-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddyhahn View Post
I don't live in Cleveland, however it's is not what you think it is. Anybody been to Shaker Heights?

Yes the weather in the winter isn't the best, there are no forest fires, landslides etc.

Good hard working people there.
Yeah, I thought I might offend with the Cleveland comment.
My problem was probably that I was staying with in-laws.
Old 12-17-2017

WOW! They aren't messing around. I never noticed anything bad about the staging lanes. Full concete to 100' past the finish line will be awesome. And [B9"][/B] inches thick? Gotta think water will have a hard time seeping up through that! Miller Bro.s is indeed a very reputable company. I know a number of guys that have and do work for them. Full union shop so it will be nice knowing the workers will making decent loot on the project (kinda surpised Bader when that route).

Last edited by HEMI_guy; 12-18-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Yeah, I thought I might offend with the Cleveland comment.
My problem was probably that I was staying with in-laws.
LOL!

California not doing so well either and folks think that place is god's country
Old 12-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
I get what you’re saying but I’ve had a hard time finding a decent room at at logical price in both markets, small and large.

It looks to me like a lot of tracks that aren’t in major metro areas do very well. Tracks like Gainesville, Norwalk, Brainerd, Cordoba, Valdosta, Orlando and Bradenton just to name a few. Sure some of the tracks in major markets do well too but their overhead has to be significantly higher and typically the hotel room prices are higher too.

I would think it would be a bigger risk for a major market track to make a consistently high profit when their racing programs have to compete with cities major sports teams and all the other entertainment options every big metropolitan city offers. They have too many options competing for entertainment dollars and those tracks typically still have a higher overhead.

Add in the seemingly constant threat from the people surrounding the track complaining about noise and traffic and the tracks are always on their heels trying to protect their business. Look what Pomona’s going through.. again. (Yes, the complaints are probably just the County getting the price for NHRA to use the facility up. But in Norwalk, the Bader’s called their counties bluff by threatening to move the track and it must have worked for them to want to invest in more major improvements.)

The tracks that are a “big deal” to their community can do just a few smart things to keep the local government happy where the major market tracks are just a small duck in a very large pond. The hotels in those smaller market areas are big supporters of the tracks where the big city tracks hotels probably wish the “dirty drag racers” would just go away.

Besides.. do you really want to go to Cleveland?
(No, I haven't been there in 40 years, but I wasn't impressed then..)
Norwalk is a summer resort area. Nuff said.

The Gasser reunion went there for 1 year and promptly moved back to Thompson. Why? Exorbitant hotel prices.
Old 12-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Cleveland? blech, LOL it's already too close to that mistake by the lake as it is!

There's tons of hotels just up the road in Sandusky, but the problem is it's a very popular resort area. You might want to look into Huron, OH. too.
Last couple times we went, we stayed in Amherst. I don't mind driving a half hour to the track each day, I drive that to work every day back home.