CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel_22 View Post
It's their sandlot. They make the rules
I understand that 100%, but, we play in other peoples sandlot and the look don't take applies.

I'm just saying that the NHRA is overstepping. But you're 100% correct, it's their call in the end, just a matter of how much do they want to piss off the racers.

Who cares?
Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer12306 View Post
I understand that 100%, but, we play in other peoples sandlot and the look don't take applies.

I'm just saying that the NHRA is overstepping. But you're 100% correct, it's their call in the end, just a matter of how much do they want to piss off the racers.
It looks to me like the NHRA picked the wrong fight to fight. From the article, it looks like they just kept asking for more and more data, until someone pushed back.

I've had tear downs like that, and usually the sanctioning body stops where I said stop, as opposed to pushing it that extra step

It sounds like it's not in the rule book that they would normally ask for this data, so teams don't build their systems so they can give this data without giving "proprietary" data. If it were in the rulebook, then teams could be prepared to give whatever the sanctioning body want
Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer12306 View Post

That’s what happens when there is only one sandlot. The sandlot owner can put a fence around the lot and only let those they approve of play in it. Dress, look, pay and behave to their satisfaction or stay out.

Forty years ago, when AHRA and IHRA were strong competitors to NHRA, they wouldn’t and couldn’t have pushed this hard. Today it’s their right as they have outlasted their major competitors. It’s their sandlot and NHRA can dictate any behavior and rules they want to enforce.

How bad does Rick Hord want another Wally?
How bad does he want to race in front of the larger crowds?
How bad does NHRA want high quality racers like Rick Hord at their races?
How many Pro Mod racers are in line to replace Rick Hord and get their chance to win a Wally?
The Hord family is doing a great job of careful negotiations with the sandlot owners.
Best of luck to them.
Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel_22 View Post
It's their sandlot. They make the rules
The question is. Is this in the rule book or the ink is never dry policy manual? You know the manual the use when they want someone else to qualify or win.
Old 05-01-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
There it is, folks...

And I was quite enlightened that they gave Hord a break by not suspending his driving credentials. How very generous of them. I'll agree with one thing - I'm glad no one lost their cool, because I don't believe it would take much of a tussle for NHRA to run ProMod off the property, permanently.
NHRA has increased their qualifying rounds from three to four, moved all their eliminations rounds to Sunday and aired the final round of Pro Mod on their main Fox broadcast despite PM having its own TV show. These are hardly the actions of an organization bent on Pro Mod class destruction.
Old 05-01-2018

What are they expecting to find...evidence of traction control?

I hope that isn't the case since even my Kia Soul has traction control.
Old 05-01-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Flyer View Post
The question is. Is this in the rule book or the ink is never dry policy manual? You know the manual the use when they want someone else to qualify or win.
I made this comment about that on Sunday in the event thread....

"I've gone over the class rules, general regulations as it applies to computers and data recorders, and national record requirements, and unless I'm missing something no where is it stated that data files must be turned over for a national record to be recognized. Or for any reason other than an "incident" (crash). It does not appear in any 2018 supplements either."

So, yes, unless I missed something....

----------------------------
Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
NHRA has increased their qualifying rounds from three to four, moved all their eliminations rounds to Sunday and aired the final round of Pro Mod on their main Fox broadcast despite PM having its own TV show. These are hardly the actions of an organization bent on Pro Mod class destruction.
There’s a different Sheriff in town. Compton’s gone and Graham Light’s almost “Light’s Out”. Compton and Light seemed to dislike Pro Mod from the beginning and I’ve assumed it was due to Pro Mod being an IHRA originated class.

Time has passed and IHRA’s big show isn’t anymore. NHRA doesn’t have to worry about sanctioning body competition. NHRA has a new Sheriff in Clifford who seems much more interested in promoting an exciting, fun filled show for the masses. Pro Mod has multiple brands, multiple power trains, multiple personalities and tons of race cars wanting to "pay to play".

For a bottom line guy like Peter Clifford, how can he pass up the crowd pleasing, wild Pro Mod show with plenty of backup racers who "pay to play" so he can sell tickets without professional performance expenses? He can’t and is very willing to move their act to Sunday’s big show, plus give them one more round of qualifying expenses for them to spend in entertaining his Friday and Saturday spectators. What a guy! .. no really! Awesome move!

If the Pro Stock racers sneeze NHRA has to wipe the mess up. If a Pro Mod racer with excellent history with NHRA very politely objects, NHRA can send them down the road. They have plenty of backup and NHRA doesn’t need to beg/talk a Top Sportsman or old Pro Stock car into filling out the field.

NHRA is pulling big crowds due to their shows high entertainment value. Today’s Pro Mod and Nitro Harley are high entertainment and are moving to the big show quickly. It’s the new Sheriff who is interested in crowd growth and the bottom line. NHRA is getting stronger by the minute.
Old 05-01-2018

^ Good observations and well said, Stud!
Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Flyer View Post

There was a guy who used to work at my local track who would always say it is in the competition manual (which he could never show anyone) when there was an issue or a question on rules.