CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 05-01-2018
Super Moderator

You have to remember this is really the first time in drag racing history where ANY sanctioning body is delving in deep to this kind of electronic capability from multiple vendors. Its a learning scenario for BOTH the racers and NHRA Tech. NHRA has shown tremendous effort to work WITH the racers and Hord's comments were nothing but complimentary toward the tech personnel.

To automatically cry foul or assume nefarious intent is really baseless here. Historically and right up to the present, rules are a moving target with many made in the moment because nobody can anticipate the future needs. Especially, with digital technology.
Old 05-01-2018

So now that all that has been said, who is right, who is wrong? Starting to sound like NASCAR.
Old 05-01-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthere & done View Post
So now that all that has been said, who is right, who is wrong? Starting to sound like NASCAR.
I don't think its about who's right or wrong. I think its about working together moving forward and that looks like it will happen.
Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I don't think its about who's right or wrong. I think its about working together moving forward and that looks like it will happen.
But if there isn't a good guy and a bad guy it can't make for a good movie.
Old 05-01-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Gray View Post
But if there isn't a good guy and a bad guy it can't make for a good movie.
So true!
Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
What are they expecting to find...evidence of traction control?

I hope that isn't the case since even my Kia Soul has traction control.
The question is: What constitutes "Traction Control"? If you have the ability to increase performance by mapping the fuel - timing & maybe control boost electronically (high speed) at any given point you can also decrease power at the same time. It would seem that as long as there is no connection to rate of driveshaft speed increase it is not traction control according to their rules. The problem with giving NHRA a hard copy of your setup it is very possible that the specific parameters used to get your tuneup will be figured out by others quickly even if the data is not leaked out. Just making new rules limiting certain adjustments will give a clue about what direction to go. It is also true that two can keep a secret only if one is dead. Since we are now in the age of electronic tuning the only way to control things is to make everyone have the same box like Rick Hord said. It just takes away from any innovation and puts every one back to being the same and this class has been unique (which is why it is popular with the teams as well as the fans) by having innovation as its driving force.
Old 05-01-2018

Talking

Quote:
You have to remember this is really the first time in drag racing history where ANY sanctioning body is delving in deep to this kind of electronic capability from multiple vendors. Its a learning scenario for BOTH the racers and NHRA Tech. NHRA has shown tremendous effort to work WITH the racers and Hord's comments were nothing but complimentary toward the tech personnel.

To automatically cry fowl or assume nefarious intent is really baseless here. Historically and right up to the present, rules are a moving target with many made in the moment because nobody can anticipate the future needs. Especially, with digital technology.

We didn't see nothin.. promise!
Old 05-01-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post

We didn't see nothin.. promise!
Hahahaha You beat me! No lie, I was thinking about my post and realized I spelled foul wrong and just logged back in to fix it! LOL You are too funny!
Old 05-01-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I made this comment about that on Sunday in the event thread....

"I've gone over the class rules, general regulations as it applies to computers and data recorders, and national record requirements, and unless I'm missing something no where is it stated that data files must be turned over for a national record to be recognized. Or for any reason other than an "incident" (crash). It does not appear in any 2018 supplements either."

So, yes, unless I missed something....
Found it:

1.8 RULE ENFORCEMENT; REVIEW AND APPEALS; EXCLUSIVE MECHANISM FOR DISPUTE RESOLUTION 1.8.1 Actions Against Participants – Initial Action If NHRA is made aware of a violation of the decisions, rules, or regulations of NHRA, NHRA shall determine whether action by NHRA is warranted. Before taking action against a participant NHRA shall, to the extent reasonably practicable, conduct an inquiry concerning the alleged violation, including the collection of relevant information. Where reasonably practicable NHRA will obtain a statement from the participant before taking action however, it shall not be necessary to receive a statement from the participant prior to initiating action against the participant. Having conducted a review of the information, NHRA shall take whatever action it shall, in its sole and absolute discretion, deem appropriate. NHRA may take immediate action against a Section , page 19 Administrative Procedures& Appeals participant if NHRA deems such action necessary (e.g. because of danger to participants, spectators, or property, or to avoid continuing violations). Such action may include but is not limited to suspension, disqualification or expulsion of the participant from an event and the event site.
Old 05-02-2018

Quote:
NHRA has increased their qualifying rounds from three to four, moved all their eliminations rounds to Sunday and aired the final round of Pro Mod on their main Fox broadcast despite PM having its own TV show. These are hardly the actions of an organization bent on Pro Mod class destruction.
Well, you'd know better than I would...just speaking from past history, I suppose. If my statement is incorrect, I stand corrected. Maybe I'm just a bit peeved over how they treated Hord - and for what? A speed record that means a lot to his team but doesn't affect anyone else, either monetarily or in points?