CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecapnredfish View Post
Am I missing something? A racer dies from injuries at the event and not one word mentioned from anyone. Not one fing person during the entire broadcast. However the show starts off with nothing but crashes. Something is wrong not mentioning someone lost their life.
100%

Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that makes people think (or solidifies the opinion) that NHRA couldn't care less about sportsman racers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemaster View Post
Sad. Prayers for his family.

Any word on the cause, component failure, tires etc?
From the video that I saw, it appeared that the car got a little too far right and then a mild correction was just a little too much at speed.

Who cares?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

This was from another racer who was there. They had trouble getting the car to run and with a short field,they dialed the minimum. That's why he was so far ahead of Mandell and when he got out of the groove,he got sideways in the opposite lane and Mandell T boned him. This was told to me by the racer who talked with the Jeff Wilkerson crew. When I called over to the track,the racer told me that he didn't make it and that's why they didn't air lift him but took him by ambulance. It was several hours after the incident for it to be reported by NHRA or other sources. If this info is incorrect,don't kill the messenger. I could have posted his death earlier but it's not my place to do so.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I was wondering about the dial in because he had a couple hundredths on Mandell at the 60.

Just a horrible situation all around, at this point just have to be fortunate that two racers weren't lost.

Who cares?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Was this a Nitrous car?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Am I missing something? A racer dies from injuries at the event and not one word mentioned from anyone. Not one fing person during the entire broadcast. However the show starts off with nothing but crashes. Something is wrong not mentioning someone lost their life.
I didn't see anything on the local news here in Huntsville, Al either.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Yep pretty shallow,shame on NHRA and FS1, just more to confirm the coverage sucks
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I think the best way to have handled it was near the end of the broadcast when showing the sprtsman finals. A brief interview with Mandell Sr. along with an announcer explaining that was his some involved in the incident and what great friends that had become of Randy over the years. As much as a disgrace it was not mentioning Rady's death, it was a missed opportunity to show the average viewer the kind of people the sportsman racers are. Yeah it will all be covered on the sportsman program, but I think that's a much smaller audience.

Last edited by HEMI_guy; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:28 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

While I agree that a nice tribute would have been appropriate and shown respect, the variable that pretty much everybody in this thread is forgetting is the family of the deceased. While it's quite possible that his spouse (not sure if he was married or not) may have been onsite or been notified, what isn't known is whether children, brothers, sisters or direct relatives were also contacted. Imagine sitting at home watching the NHRA broadcast because of your family member that raced at that event (even in a sportsman category) and you see a pause in the broadcast to inform you that they were killed while competing.

It was asked by a poster above, what I'd do if I were President of NHRA. To be honest, I wouldn't announce anything until I was informed by the family that it was OK to do so. And yeah, I'd be in DIRECT communication with the next of kin of any driver that died on my track.

While the condition of a driver after an accident is a major concern (not only to fans but fellow racers, crew members, and whether anyone wants to believe this - but the NHRA officials as well) - the well-being of the family should be - and always WILL be the primary concern. Why do you think Bobby takes such proactive measures to officially post information about a fatality on Comp Plus?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

While I did not see the accident live on all access I watched it once online on Sunday and even knowing the outcome my heart sank. As safe as these race cars are and as top notch the safety safari is and Im sure all the parts and pieces were in place to protect Randy this sadly was one of those unsurvivable accidents that can happen. My only hope was that it was over quick and Randy was in no pain.

I think Tim & mmcc9000 also summed it up well, there are a lot of factors that go into announcing a death at a race track and on tv, the NHRA has to be sensitive to the family and their wishes over anything else. I know usually when a fatal accident occurs an announcement is not made until the end of the day once an official release happens or like when the fan was killed here several years ago no announcement was made at the track because the official announcement had not been made by the NHRA & the local police.

Personally I think a small tribute should have been made during the show maybe a footnote at the end of coverage like what they did for Mark Niver when he was killed but maybe the NHRA & Fox was not in a place to do so, hopefully one will be done during the Sportsman coverage.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Exclamation

I understand emotions are running high. However I will say this once and once only....

Show some respect.

Exercise some restraint.

Stop the provocation, speculation and second guessing on this matter.

If that is not followed, we will address those comments on an individual basis.

With that said, the vast majority of you have followed these common sense rules. Thank you.

Extend your condolences.

Share your remembrances.

----------------------------