CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 1 Week Ago

Default How much longer will Harley Davidson stick around?

One of the main reasons why I ask this question is because Harley Davidson no longer sells the V-Rod. They stopped producing it last year.

The other reason is the fact that HD is really losing some steam. I guess the retired baby boomers that kept them afloat for so many years have finally moved on to trikes or scooters at the local retirement community.

Does anyone know how long HD's ownership of the NHRA rule book, I mean how much longer they will remain the "official motorcycle of the NHRA???

Has NHRA been jamming Nitro Harley's down our throat because they fear HD is going to leave them? Is NHRA kissing their butts???? I really don't remember anyone clamoring for Nitro Harley's.

WHY IS NO OTHER MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURER INVOLVED IN NHRA DRAG RACING????

Why did no one race a Harley before they became the official motorcycle of the NHRA and why will no one race one after they leave????

Why are Suzuki's running bodies from the 1990's???

Why are Suzuki's running engines from the 1970's???

I thought the super cool looking Sunoco Suzuki Hayabusa that Dave Schultz debuted almost 20 years ago was the future of NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle....what the f**k happened?

Some of Harley Davidson's greatest hits:

https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidson...der-1826040324

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ha...nce-2018-05-14

NHRA has been ramming Harley Davidson down our throats for years, it's time someone shoves Harley Davidson up their ass.

If anyone wants to defend the garbage that HD produces, I'm locked and loaded.
Old 1 Week Ago

[QUOTE=AtcoDave;211153]WHY IS NO OTHER MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURER INVOLVED IN NHRA DRAG RACING????

Because no other motorcycle manufacturer cares about drag racing at all. The big 4..Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki...all put HUGE efforts into road racing. Add Ducati, BMW, KTM, and MV Agusta, and you have the make-up of a World Superbike race.

And don't forget MotoGP, the motorcycle equivalent of F1. Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, etc.. all spend millions on development and racing. MILLIONS.

Drag racing is, for the most part, an American endeavor. The rest of the world loves road racing.

But, all that being said, I agree with you in that the NHRA rules have been skewed heavily in HD's direction for too long.
Old 1 Week Ago

RVT1000 nailed it. And to answer your question. Just my opinion. Two years.
Old 1 Week Ago

I'd say the only reason the PSM class has survived the last several years is because of Harley's sponsorship of the NHRA. And with that sponsorship came rules that allowed Harley to only produce motorcycles for themselves to race the class and know one else could get their hands on them. Plus rules that allowed them to more or less dominate the class. 100% branding for Harley.

The other manufactures could give two sh!ts about the class for a multitude of reasons, many of which have already been mentioned. The fan base is small, TV time is small and why would any manufacture spend the millions of dollars needed to develop a program to compete in PSM against a one sided monster that is the NHRA and Harley when nobody cares anyway?
Old 1 Week Ago

[QUOTE=RVT1000;211156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
WHY IS NO OTHER MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURER INVOLVED IN NHRA DRAG RACING????

Because no other motorcycle manufacturer cares about drag racing at all. The big 4..Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki...all put HUGE efforts into road racing. Add Ducati, BMW, KTM, and MV Agusta, and you have the make-up of a World Superbike race.

And don't forget MotoGP, the motorcycle equivalent of F1. Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, etc.. all spend millions on development and racing. MILLIONS.

Drag racing is, for the most part, an American endeavor. The rest of the world loves road racing.

But, all that being said, I agree with you in that the NHRA rules have been skewed heavily in HD's direction for too long.
I totally agree with your post.

Basically manufacturers don't care about drag racing.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
I'd say the only reason the PSM class has survived the last several years is because of Harley's sponsorship of the NHRA. And with that sponsorship came rules that allowed Harley to only produce motorcycles for themselves to race the class and know one else could get their hands on them. Plus rules that allowed them to more or less dominate the class. 100% branding for Harley.

The other manufactures could give two sh!ts about the class for a multitude of reasons, many of which have already been mentioned. The fan base is small, TV time is small and why would any manufacture spend the millions of dollars needed to develop a program to compete in PSM against a one sided monster that is the NHRA and Harley when nobody cares anyway?
Good post. I think we're all on the same page.

Why would anyone get involved in NHRA drag racing?
Old 1 Week Ago

No one under the age 35 could give a rats A$$ about Harley Davidson . The brand is dieing along with all its faithfuls . The PSM scene is the cheapest possible TV time "professional " form of racing , next to swamp buggy racing on Diamond "P". Just like the junior dragster Dad with the tour bus and stacker trailer , Harley just raised the bar (rule book) to the laughingstock point. Eddie can't even stop smirking when he's pissed off . I understand it's Professional ,but talk about a huge fish in a 55 gallon drum. Kids today hate bracket racing , prepped tracks and the odd sound of a racing Harley Davidson . Oh yeah let's not forget the street version, of never ending throttle whacks at every stop light in America . Please put the baffles back in !
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
Good post. I think we're all on the same page.

Why would anyone get involved in NHRA drag racing?
dang dave,we finally agree on something.i'm hopin hd opens up the parts stash and we see all hd fields.wonderin what other folks(star,white alligator and others)could do with the parts my friend eddie races with.we'll see
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen. Disarray View Post
No one under the age 35 could give a rats A$$ about Harley Davidson . The brand is dieing along with all its faithfuls . The PSM scene is the cheapest possible TV time "professional " form of racing , next to swamp buggy racing on Diamond "P". Just like the junior dragster Dad with the tour bus and stacker trailer , Harley just raised the bar (rule book) to the laughingstock point. Eddie can't even stop smirking when he's pissed off . I understand it's Professional ,but talk about a huge fish in a 55 gallon drum. Kids today hate bracket racing , prepped tracks and the odd sound of a racing Harley Davidson . Oh yeah let's not forget the street version, of never ending throttle whacks at every stop light in America . Please put the baffles back in !
go back to sleep chump.3erd post huh?
Old 1 Week Ago

As a life-long sport rider, I'm "supposed" to hate HD's. I'm afraid I don't. If you wave to me, I'm waving back.

To me it has always been like comparing Caddy's to Vette's. They both do different things for different reasons. You don't want to bring your old lady on a 500 mile ride on my RC51 and I don't want to try and bash corners on your 'Glide.

Ducati followed the HD model and created a brand above and beyond the motorcycles either makes. And let's be honest, HD did crawl out of the garbage and become a world-wide name after AMF.

It is unfortunate that things in PSM turned out the way they did, it could have been soooo much better with even a little effort from the big 4.