CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-13-2018
Administrator

From Season 1 of "Legends: The Series"....

https://youtu.be/lSxWaczV3A4

Trackwalk at the 2017 Route 66 Nationals...

----------------------------
Old 06-13-2018
Administrator

Cool

John Force talks about the los of his friend...

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...ce-talks-goose

....and Mike Dunn talks to his friend at the 2018 March Meet.

http://competitionplus.com/competiti...ews-tom-mcewen

----------------------------
Old 06-16-2018

Back in 1962 a year or so after I moved to Southern California because I was sure the streets were paved with Hot Rods and there was an open Drag Strip every night of the week a buddy & I rented a unit in North Hollywood/Studio City to work on people's street and strip stuff after work. Well there was this guy who had a half a dozen dragster and roadster chassis along with a couple of Bonneville cars in the next two units. The guy was Wayne Ewing (Probably the best race car body man ever) who did Indy car bodies and he made the Tail (whole body) on the Greer - Black - Prudhomme car that had the enclosed 'Chute pack with air ducts in the sides to get the parachute out better. Right then I decided that I was going to work for him for nothing to learn all I could. The fact that he was the best was the only reason everyone went to him because he was also the slowest. Also he never did two bodies exactly the same. Everyone got a one off. Anyway he was doing a Tail on a car and it had a big fin behind the roll bar. I asked him whose car it was & he said Tom McEwen and it was going to have a Gene Adams "Motor" in it. Every time McEwen came by to check on it he always said "Hey everybody - let's go get something to eat" and then ask about the car. First time I told Wayne I would stay and watch the shop - McEwen says "No your coming too." I would say he was the nicest guy you could ever do work for. By the way the McEwen & Adams "Shark" car came out Beautiful and it was very fast. Little side note. I was working on a part Wayne had made with a body file an he walked over, looked all around and on both sides. When I asked what he was looking for he said "Steinway". He then says "Your not making a piano here and this piece isn't a career project". Life lesson!