CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdogbmx View Post
5150 I am all eras. From fiola to scotty cranmer. I race now but i rode alot I mean alot bro. I know alot of guys
Did you know any of the freestylers that rode daily in Disney's Magic Kingdom Parade with the moving float that had the big hump of a ramp on it back in the early 90's?
Old 06-11-2018

I believe Tony's arrogance is what really hurts him. He cannot admit he is no good at his announcing job and is doing nothing to improve.

All good sportscasters, Practice, review their old tapes, Practice, watch other announcers, take announcing classes and seminars and Practice.

I wonder if Tony has done any of this or he just believes he is doing a good job.
Old 06-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Maybe that's necause you've experienced it iive and in person. Not every viewer has. And staging is a VITAL part of EACH and every ellimination run.

They enture program woudn't last more than 20minutes if they only showed each pairing from gree light to finish line (may as well eliminate showing the shut down too), except in cases of crash and explosion replays. Wit then they may be able to stretch the broadcast to 30 minutes.
I was 1st taken to the track as a small boy and I've been to many NHRA national events at three different tracks over the years. I raced my own street car and my dad had a 10-second race car.

I'm very familiar with the live experience. That's why I have an opinion.

I'm sure that stretching and running sprints is vital for the players prior to a football game. I don't want to watch that either.
Old 06-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
I was 1st taken to the track as a small boy and I've been to many NHRA national events at three different tracks over the years. I raced my own street car and my dad had a 10-second race car.

I'm very familiar with the live experience. That's why I have an opinion.

I'm sure that stretching and running sprints is vital for the players prior to a football game. I don't want to watch that either.
Burnouts have been compared to foreplay.
You married?
Old 06-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Burnouts have been compared to foreplay.
You married?
Are those burnouts the ones John Force is famous for or the burnouts they do these days?

I mean the NHRA had to give an incentive to Pro Stock to do a quasi burnout competition last year.
Old 06-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdogbmx View Post
It is the being biased thing that bugs me. When I watch the NFL and Phil Simms is/ was on tv. He never played any favorites or jumped on the Giants, that is how any announcer is supposed to be. I do not think he is cut out to be in the booth. Alan Reinhardt who I know is on here is more than deserving, I have told him that in person. I here Tony stumble over his words on a daily basis. If he does not have the flow now he never will
Phil Simms is/was a HORRIBLE announcer, he was biased as hell and he had favorites, you could always hear it in his announcing (thank god I could mute him and turn on the radio announcers). He may never have jumped on the Giants (why would he?) but did he ever do that many Giants games? He worked for CBS which covered AFC games and maybe once in awhile the Giants played an AFC team and he worked the game.
Old 06-12-2018

The best burnout I ever saw was when Grant Downing did a full quarter mile burnout during a match race in Salt Lake a few years ago...we had to top the tank off with nitro before he staged.
Old 06-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Gray View Post
The best burnout I ever saw was when Grant Downing did a full quarter mile burnout during a match race in Salt Lake a few years ago...we had to top the tank off with nitro before he staged.
I've always said a little exhibitionism is in order....fans like it; their kids like it...and I don't mean just the type of rednecks you'll see at a monster truck event. Example - what's the one positive national-event happening, as minor as it is that always gets positive fan reaction and reviews on any drag racing forum? Scott Palmer's throttle whacks - and back in the day, Force's long burnouts.

At least we still have Palmer.
Old 06-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Gray View Post
I would guess that clutch and everything else was just a little bit hot by the time he staged. But you and everybody else there still remember the show and in match racing, the show is still king. That was a big part of the fun of match racing back in the 60's and 70's. Did they have a profitable crowd that night or was it another nostalgic donation by the promoter?

In the 60's and 70's a promoter could make a decent profit just promoting two car match races. Of course Garlits and the others were still using cast iron 392 Chrysler Hemi's out of Chrysler New Yorkers from the junkyard and blowers from 18 wheelers. The costs of the show was logical compared to the promoter's gamble against a rainout or low attendance.
Old 06-12-2018

Force...... https://youtu.be/ro3Awc-ThAY