CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Gray View Post
The best burnout I ever saw was when Grant Downing did a full quarter mile burnout during a match race in Salt Lake a few years ago...we had to top the tank off with nitro before he staged.
Bobby Lagana did that in NY several years ago. Not as long because it was only an 1/8 mile track, but still had to top off the tank.

Edit: I swear ^^^ is true, but in trying to find it, I found this. Dom at SLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJ8MI5CIms

Who cares?
Old 06-13-2018

When Downing and Lagana did those looong burnouts… I bet the folks that were there can’t remember what was their ET and MPH was without looking it up somewhere.
The show is what we remember which is why the No Time racer’s can draw a crowd while Bracket Racing can’t.

LONG LIVE THE SHOW!
Old 06-13-2018

E town has been going down for years, and a lot of it is the economy. over the years it used to take an hour to get out of the lot. Now you are out in 15 minutes due to lack of crowd.
Old 06-14-2018

As I'm sure most of you already know, the NHRA produces the television shows in house and FOX simply broadcasts the NHRA's telecast. That said, the NHRA does all of the hiring and firing of front of the camera and behind the camera personnel. Therefore the quality of the program lies solely on the NHRA's shoulders.

So, if I were in charge of producing the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series television show, I would do the following:

1. HIRE - Les Mayhew of Nitro America fame to produce and direct the show. If you aren't familiar with his work, head over to his Nitro America YouTube channel and see how he literally brings the sights, sounds, speed, and everything else drag racing to the screen with incredible camera placement and angles, editing, sound, interviews and more.

2. FIRE - Dave Rieff and Tony Pedregon immediately. No further explanation needed here.

3. HIRE - Alan Reinhart (although I struggle with taking him out of the track-side announcer role, as he does a phenomenal job behind the mic at live events.) Ken Stout, Reinhart's partner on the MAVTV Lucas Oil Drag Boat telecast is another guy I'd hire. And some how I'd find a way to get Mike Dunn back. Bruno Massel and Brian Lohnes would wrap up my commentating team.

4. The show would be much more in depth. When a car or driver has an issue, I'd have someone with a camera and mic on it immediately. I'd get back into the pits and find out what happened big or small and report it. Inquiring minds want to know.

5. Cameras, lots of them. We need on-boards of drivers making adjustments in the car and using the controls on a pass. Mic up the drivers so we can hear what their saying in the shut down area. If you've ever watched NFL Films behind the scenes, you get the idea.

I'm sure there's much more, but I think those ideas I've shred are a great start.
Old 06-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
As I'm sure most of you already know, the NHRA produces the television shows in house and FOX simply broadcasts the NHRA's telecast. That said, the NHRA does all of the hiring and firing of front of the camera and behind the camera personnel. Therefore the quality of the program lies solely on the NHRA's shoulders.

So, if I were in charge of producing the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series television show, I would do the following:

1. HIRE - Les Mayhew of Nitro America fame to produce and direct the show. If you aren't familiar with his work, head over to his Nitro America YouTube channel and see how he literally brings the sights, sounds, speed, and everything else drag racing to the screen with incredible camera placement and angles, editing, sound, interviews and more.

I'm sure there's much more, but I think those ideas I've shred are a great start.

Tom...excellent! And with live TV (which I don't need) being necessary NHRA says, then the inevitable downtime should include things I'm asked by casual fans.
1) What's the track length? How long is the shutdown?
2) Tell me about the pits: size and how it's laid out and why
3) Tell me the intimate workings of the safety safari (by the way some of those guys are really fat. So fat they move too slow.
4) Show me the various teams headquarters / shops.

Between rounds there's too much looking at teams servicing the car...it's old hat now. More innovation is needed to get into the really interesting but seldom looked at operations.

2. FIRE - Dave Rieff and Tony Pedregon immediately. No further explanation needed here.

3. HIRE - Alan Reinhart (although I struggle with taking him out of the track-side announcer role, as he does a phenomenal job behind the mic at live events.) Ken Stout, Reinhart's partner on the MAVTV Lucas Oil Drag Boat telecast is another guy I'd hire. And some how I'd find a way to get Mike Dunn back. Bruno Massel and Brian Lohnes would wrap up my commentating team.

4. The show would be much more in depth. When a car or driver has an issue, I'd have someone with a camera and mic on it immediately. I'd get back into the pits and find out what happened big or small and report it. Inquiring minds want to know.

5. Cameras, lots of them. We need on-boards of drivers making adjustments in the car and using the controls on a pass. Mic up the drivers so we can hear what their saying in the shut down area. If you've ever watched NFL Films behind the scenes, you get the idea.
Old 06-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post

Les already works for the NHRA. He is a camera man and edits some of their vignettes. I agree however he should be put in charge of production.
Old 06-16-2018

Am I the only one that found it peculiar that the red font writer posted in the Pro Camaro thread but seemed to have steered clear of this one?