CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 08-16-2008

Default Maple Grove

Just got home from the Saturday qualifying session. Another 15 car TF field. Millican's paint scheme on the Nitro Fish dragster is sharp. It matches the new colors on the Richie Stevens pro stocker. Almost got hit by flying debris at the 1000 ft. mark when Dixon's engine let go in the final session. Something came bouncing up, only to hit and bounce off the fence. The top end of the track is a totally different experience compared to the starting line...even at 1000'. Dave Connolly appeared to be making a nice run through Super Comp.

A couple of questions/thoughts..
1. Maybe I missed it but, it appears Melanie Troxel is now part of the Lucas Oil team. This appears to be the case the way the pits were set up.
2. Frank Hawley is driving a Rite Aid sponsors car, and it appeared to be a one car team.
3. What happened to Bill Riechert and the Rislone backed TAD. I haven't seen him in some time and I thought he ran the east coast events.
4. 1000' racing is still an awesome experience, but that doesn't mean I want to settle for this as the ultimate solution.

Of course the tv broadcast just ended and appeared to shot down some of these observations. What do I know? I'm gonna go watch some Olympic ping pong.
Old 08-16-2008
gary4205

Melanie is still with the Pro Care team. Hawley was driving the second car, with Rite-Aid drugstores as a sponsor. Nice tie in, with Pro Care. Might become a primary on one of the cars.

Glad you didn't get hit by shrapnel!
Old 08-17-2008

So much for less engine damage at 1000'. I thing the count at Maple Grove is 5 motors blown up in qualifying. Looks like they are still pushing hard at the finish line no matter where it is..
Old 08-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreds1
Melanie Troxel is now part of the Lucas Oil team. This appears to be the case the way the pits were set up.
Lucus sells hospitality services to the former Mike Ashley teams at selected Events.

Nitrohelper Services Worldwide
Old 08-17-2008
Banned

Thumbs down To Many Oil Downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRoy
So much for less engine damage at 1000'. I thing the count at Maple Grove is 5 motors blown up in qualifying. Looks like they are still pushing hard at the finish line no matter where it is..
NHRA still has to do something. Still dangerous and to many oil down delays.
Old 08-17-2008

Quote:
Looks like they are still pushing hard at the finish line no matter where it is.
With Nitro you can hurt them anywhere, JR's team blew-up two on the jackstands this year.
The MSD mags can lose their mind at anytime, that's why they don't start on the starting line after just running in the pits.
Piston scuff has been a Nitro problem since the '60's, at times they are hurt on the burnout, but pull the wrist pin out down track.
There is less damage now due to the lack of the rev-limiter trying to push the rods through the crank, and the valves into the ports.
Valve train can break anytime,but less without the limiter. The blower belts also stay on now.

Nitrohelper Services Worldwide
Old 08-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427
NHRA still has to do something. Still dangerous and to many oil down delays.
1000ft RACING= Top Fueler in SANDTRAP....to add another,still in favor of the 1/4mile here & still thinks the NHRA has the wrong person in charge.
Old 08-18-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank369k
1000ft RACING= Top Fueler in SANDTRAP....to add another,still in favor of the 1/4mile here & still thinks the NHRA has the wrong person in charge.
I've yet to hear one of the racers bitch about 1000 ft racing. Oh, they might say the would like it to go back to 1/4 mile, but they want a different package is they do.

All I know is these men and women strap their butts in those seats, in a car that accelerates harder than the friggin' space shuttle! There's nothing between them and the ground but some tubing and some tin.

I they feel the 1/4 mile is not safe with their current package, they would be fools to run their cars.

Bad things can happen anywhere on a run, from the launch on, but if you KNOW there is a problem, and don't do something, you are insane!

Racing is racing. From the very start, NHRA sanctioned 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1000 ft, and even 1/2 mile drag strips.

Now, I never ran 1/2 mile track. But decades ago I ran 1000ft, as well as 1/8 mile. Our track is 1/4 mile, but after 40 years in business, the new timing system allows you to run both 1/4 and 1/8 mile.

After 40 years, and watching some spectacular crashes, that (thankfully) no one got hurt bad in, the track went 1/8 mile, except for street cars. The bracket racers love it. And the Outlaw classes only run 1/8 mile, and the pack the stands wherever they run.

I guess the point is, until there is a new package, 1000 ft will be here to stay. Since teams have a lot of inventory, that would be useless, I would think a year's lead time would be in order. In other words, look for the 2009 season to look like this year, with the big change in 2010. (if they figure something out) That's the only way you can do it, without hurting the teams financially.
Old 08-18-2008

I continue to believe that the racing to 1000' doesn't solve anything except at the shorter tracks like Englishtown and other tracks with short shutdown areas. Racing to 1000' is a short term correction. I don't see some sort of new rule package coming from NHRA that will solve the problems associated with engine damage, nitro supply, or other current problems. I feel the solution is to set minimum standards for track length and stick to it. If it eliminates some tracks from the tour that is unfortunate but that happens moving forward. Unless we are willing to accept major changes in the way races are ran, such as 1/8 mile racing everywhere we still face the same problems. With 1000' racing they are still blowing up motors, same as before, they are still going in sandtraps, same as before, the cost of racing is still going up. Maybe there is a rule package out there that will take care of these problems, but i just don't see NHRA producing them.
Old 08-18-2008

Quote:
I continue to believe that the racing to 1000' doesn't solve anything except at the shorter tracks like Englishtown and other tracks with short shutdown areas. Racing to 1000' is a short term correction. I don't see some sort of new rule package coming from NHRA that will solve the problems associated with engine damage, nitro supply, or other current problems. I feel the solution is to set minimum standards for track length and stick to it. If it eliminates some tracks from the tour that is unfortunate but that happens moving forward. Unless we are willing to accept major changes in the way races are ran, such as 1/8 mile racing everywhere we still face the same problems. With 1000' racing they are still blowing up motors, same as before, they are still going in sandtraps, same as before, the cost of racing is still going up. Maybe there is a rule package out there that will take care of these problems, but i just don't see NHRA producing them.
Well one thing it solved is having Gary Densham still out there. Must be saving enough money to carry on his quest to beat the team cars. Once you realize that the other teams that could be making the fields are all single car teams its gonna take less to get more out there. Maybe some of these 3-4 million per year deals will end up going down and some associate deals may trickle down to the smaller teams.

I keep saying the first thing they have to prove is the rev limiter has been to blame for way too many explosions. Anti lock brakes are being developed, fireproof chutes, panic buttons, force with new carbon fiber pieces to protect legs and feet with no allowed testing sessions to see if they work.

As far as a dragster in the sand, thats what the sand is for and its the first dragster that had a problem in a long time. I really sorry everyone has missed out on the next "and they walked away video footage", but lately they havent been walking away.