CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012
Banned

Smile Houston's Huge Crowds??

I recorded Saturday and Sunday's NHRA O'Reilly's Spring Nationals at Royal Purple Raceway. I also recorded the Nascar Richmond race. I got my glass of ice tea out and set down to watch the NHRA race. The Houston crowds packed, except for a few reserved seats, the stands, fences and pits during both days. When I looked at the Nascar race the stands looked to be a third empty. Yes the weather was perfect for NHRA and Nascar had a 30% chance of showers compared to NHRA's 20% chance. One might wonder what did the management at Royal Purple Raceway do in these tough economic times to have such an outstanding spectator event???? I do know they had great weather, at least one bill board along a major route and I imagine children 12 and under were free. Perhaps the other managements had better contact Royal Purple and find out the secret of their success. Another pleasant surprise is that the race was run smoothly and finished at about 4:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2012

It was very good to see the size of the crowd ! And you are right, somebody is doing something right, or maybe it was a combination of good market area and good weather. Lets hope this good trend continues, because whether you like the management at NHRA or not, its good to see the sport prosper!
Old 04-30-2012

I definitely agree. I'm the first to talk about poor crowds, but that was nice to see. They were really packed in there.
Old 04-30-2012

If RPR had enough grandstands to house ALL the people that were there, would it still look like a packed house?

Remember- rules are rules Don't let common sense get in the way of a good disaster

"When applied at precisely the right time,
ignorance is a powerful tool,
usually surpassing even knowledge"
Old 04-30-2012

I have pics of te Pitside stands on both Sat/Sun that are pretty full! But 3days of sunny weather brings a huge walk up crowd!
Old 04-30-2012
Banned

Default Rpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
If RPR had enough grandstands to house ALL the people that were there, would it still look like a packed house?
Not sure Bobby. Royal Purple Raceway claims to have 30,000 seats and adds extra seats for their national event. Based on that the crowds could have been around 35,000 Sat and Sun?? I've heard they have had 40,000 plus but I think that was a ADRL race.
Old 05-01-2012

There were quite a few people in the stands on Saturday.. Even when Pro Stock was running. I was pretty impressed with the crowds as well.
Old 05-01-2012

They (RPR), had a great marketing presence in both radio and Television for about 3 weeks prior to the event. This was definitely the most advertising i had ever seen for drag racing. It turned out very well for them. It also shows some of the other bodies what they need to do to get more casual fans out. Most of the people i saw there i have never seen before.
Old 05-01-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8secstreetcar View Post
They (RPR), had a great marketing presence in both radio and Television for about 3 weeks prior to the event. This was definitely the most advertising i had ever seen for drag racing. It turned out very well for them. It also shows some of the other bodies what they need to do to get more casual fans out. Most of the people i saw there i have never seen before.
Thanks 8secstreetcare. It's about the casual fans. Perhaps they will become diehard fans. That explains their success. Hey NHRA wake up and you track owners take a page from their success.
Old 05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Thanks 8secstreetcare. It's about the casual fans. Perhaps they will become diehard fans. That explains their success. Hey NHRA wake up and you track owners take a page from their success.
I'm sure NHRA has a hand in the advertising that was done. The advertising is always done in the area a few weeks before the event.

What happened to the ADRL race in March weren't many people there.
Closed Thread