CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012

Allow me to try one more time: For the once a year and/or casual fan (the one we need to come out more to NHRA)...

Class TV Show Comparable

Nitro Top Shot, Super Bowl, World Series Game 7, etc
Pro Stock American Idol, Storage Wars
All other Oprah
Old 05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad rhodes View Post
Yes, watching repeated 30 minute oil downs is very exciting
Yes even with a few oil downs it is still the most exciting class looking at the amount of people that are in the stands when each class is run. I may be getting old, and a little hard of hearing, but I can still see the stands.
Old 05-01-2012

Miller Lite taste great. Im sure others will try to argue that it is less filling...but hey, "Im just telling like it is!"
Old 05-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
NHRA needs to realize that drag racing is more than just nitro. The publicity is overwhelmingly about the nitro classes. Sure Funny Car is our most popular class and needs to be given top priority. It deserves it's top billing to the public and sponsors at least for now but...... drag racing has been struggling. When NHRA was at the top of it's success the other professional classes were also bringing in thousands of fans. The sportsman classes of all types also had big followings. The public is not aware of our great other classes. Take our great Super Stock and Stock classes as a couple of examples. The last two races at Charlotte and Houston proved that the Pro Stock classes were the stars the finals. If NHRA continues to believe that it's only about nitro they will continue to die a slow death.
I agree wholeheartedly that NHRA's Nitro absorption is detrimental to Our Sport. Much of the root growth of Our sport has been in Factory Hot Rods historically. The artistic science of Pro Stock combined with the .0000 superhuman reaction times
and parity .0000 M.O.V."s ( Margin Of Victory ) continues to be showstopping in suspense and thrill excitement for drag racing's knowledgeable.

Count My Vote in the Non Yawner ( since less than half of the fuel cars do not even make a full pass under power ) Guy column !

NHRA - turn Your Public Relations and Marketing switch on for Pro Stock !
Old 05-02-2012
Banned

Default Spread the Wealth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/FX-Pro Stock View Post

I agree wholeheartedly that NHRA's Nitro absorption is detrimental to Our Sport. Much of the root growth of Our sport has been in Factory Hot Rods historically. The artistic science of Pro Stock combined with the .0000 superhuman reaction times
and parity .0000 M.O.V."s ( Margin Of Victory ) continues to be showstopping in suspense and thrill excitement for drag racing's knowledgeable.

Count My Vote in the Non Yawner ( since less than half of the fuel cars do not even make a full pass under power ) Guy column !

Thanks AFX Pro Stock a great post. Let's spread the wealth NHRA. Anyone who saw the Pro Stock final between Dave and Vincent realize that this class of racing is second to none. One of the most fun and exciting TV sports moments I've ever seen regardless of sport. To bad that sequence wasn't shown on Sportscenter and Espn. It was a classic.
Old 05-02-2012

PS rightfully don't get top billing in ADRL and there's not a fuel car to be seen there. hahaha

Quote:

Why??? no matter what they do the stands will empty. Fans would rather see crews wrench on fuel cars standing still than watch P/S race.

Quote:
Hasn't this been discussed here ad nauseam?
c'mon. Dontcha like watchin a couple a guys flog a dead horse (class)???
Old 05-02-2012

There are a couple of things that could help Pro Stock, but until NHRA accepts 90% and 14-71s in the class, it's never going to compare with TF and FC. Just gotta face facts. Anyway...

The crowd always liked the PS parade on Sunday morning right before round 1 of Top Fuel. All 16 cars, 2 by 2, idling down the track. They may still do this in some places. Not a big deal, but it's still good exposure for the class.

Bob Frey is a good announcer, but if I were a new fan, I'd like to hear some details about the cars that are about to run. Take 3 minutes before they fire the cars and give the folks a bit of an education on what they're about to see. Maybe then, people would appreciate a .005 package, or a 6.50 pass out of a N/A doorslammer, if they had a clue what one was and how it came to be.

ESPN2 could do a PS 'tech school', for lack of a better word, and 'teach' it in 3-minute segments/fillers during a 3-hour event coverage. Have someone with an intimate knowledge of the class do the 'teaching', working in conjunction with a 'user-friendly' team who wouldn't mind discussing some specifics of their car to a national audience. One segment, the history of the class and the general basics. Next, the engine. Then, the clutch. Then the suspension setup. The staging process. The pass itself. You get the idea.

Ok Larry, whaddya think? What the heck, it beats watching Ashley race her cats, right?
Old 05-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
ESPN2 could do a PS 'tech school', for lack of a better word, and 'teach' it in 3-minute segments/fillers during a 3-hour event coverage. Have someone with an intimate knowledge of the class do the 'teaching', working in conjunction with a 'user-friendly' team who wouldn't mind discussing some specifics of their car to a national audience. One segment, the history of the class and the general basics. Next, the engine. Then, the clutch. Then the suspension setup. The staging process. The pass itself. You get the idea.
I agree 100%. Even though I am a pretty informed fan I would much rather watch a tech piece on Pro Stock then yet another spot on John and Courtney.
Old 05-02-2012
Administrator

Arrow

----------------------------
Old 05-02-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
We know your feelings Willy.
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk