CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-12-2017
shaketown dave's Avatar
shaketown dave shaketown dave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: lake isabella,ca
Posts: 1,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
NHRA goal isn't about safety or "keeping racing off the street".
NHRA's goal is to put on a show to draw a paying crowd that draws advertising money too.
It's about the money! It's about the money and that's why the NHRA Board of Directors isn't loaded with car guys.
Even Clifford came up as a bean counter. (Yes, he's "Light" years better than Compton. )

If their goal isn't money, NHRA might as well go to 1/4 mile drags with low powered, fuel efficient, smog friendly, tree hugger happy vehicles that can get stopped. (But that means no filled stands and no big checks for anyone... however, the racing would be safe.)

NHRA barely has enough cars/teams/sponsors/etc. in Top Fuel, Funny Car/Pro Stock and Pro Stock Bike isn't that far behind.
But they have gobs of cars available in Pro Mod that was actually started by IHRA's Ted Jones and Bret Kepner back in the 80's and is currently living well beyond early expectations.
It's the only "Pro" class that's not stagnant in car count, spectator appeal and seems to have sponsorship $$ on the rise.


I think it's because Pro Mod has these advantages:
Pro Mod has starter leagues/races available for new people to learn the Pro Mod ropes easier.
Pro Mod doesn't require huge money to go fast, be cool and have fun.
Pro Mod doesn't have to be a full time job.
Pro Mod puts on a wild and woolly show where you never know if the car will go straight or at all. It's unpredictable.

The reverse is Pro Stock.
Pro Stock is having problems with car count, spectator's staying in the stands and issues discussed here for too long.
Pro Stock does require huge money, time, crew for little money return.
Pro Stock is a full time job if you chase the NHRA crown.
Pro Stock is sewing machine predictable without big burnouts, wheel-stands or 1150' long 1000' runs.

If G. Light and Clifford are worried about NHRA's show, they should be interested in this Question:
What type of class or cars would excite many people enough for them to:
Pay to watch
Buy/build and race
Sponsor a car in or class of
Pay attention to who the winners and losers of the class are.

And Mr. LIght and Mr. Clifford should be asking this:
What is that new class/car type and how would NHRA get it started quickly and successfully?
Or do they just eliminate another item that their current sponsor's sell like hood scoops and carbs on Pro Stocks?
post of the year.now if nhra can keep away from screwin with power adder changes(see the turbo thread,more crap from them)then we could really see if promod can replace dyin prostock.the promod folks have plenty of folks and orginazations north,south east and west to fill all the slots at EVERY race.man i'd like to see the rentaria brothers and they're valiant at a sanctioned(lol)nhra race.and i'd also like to see greg Anderson in a turbo Studebaker finally get real fan support instead of screwin around with nhra's bull**** rules as he has been for over 20 years.and NO WEIGHT LIMIT for promods.run what you brung for big $$$$$$$$.just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-12-2017
oldracer oldracer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Poole View Post
No,my point was not about parity in PM. It was about bringing in the mountain motor P/S cars into the current P/S class as somebody suggested to save P/S. They would have to add weight to them and it would a continuing quest to achieve parity. I'm for saving the class but I think it's done.
Well with all those big$$ the NHRA tech department makes you might as well have them figuring out weight breaks rather than spinning in their chairs. Don't imagine with all the stats gathered from the races and computers it's much of a big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-13-2017
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaketown dave View Post
post of the year.now if nhra can keep away from screwin with power adder changes(see the turbo thread,more crap from them)then we could really see if promod can replace dyin prostock.the promod folks have plenty of folks and orginazations north,south east and west to fill all the slots at EVERY race.man i'd like to see the rentaria brothers and they're valiant at a sanctioned(lol)nhra race.and i'd also like to see greg Anderson in a turbo Studebaker finally get real fan support instead of screwin around with nhra's bull**** rules as he has been for over 20 years.and NO WEIGHT LIMIT for promods.run what you brung for big $$$$$$$$.just my 2 cents
P/M racers have zero desire to run a 24 race schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-13-2017
shaketown dave's Avatar
shaketown dave shaketown dave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: lake isabella,ca
Posts: 1,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
P/M racers have zero desire to run a 24 race schedule.
promod racers all over the country dude and if the moneys there they'll show up.screw dyin azz prostock.see musis commentary to get the answer to prostock.makes a ton of sence to pattern after succecful pdra formula
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-13-2017
a21stud a21stud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaketown dave View Post
promod racers all over the country dude and if the moneys there they'll show up.screw dyin azz prostock.see musis commentary to get the answer to prostock.makes a ton of sence to pattern after succecful pdra formula
While I would hate to see them screw with Pro Mod's current success, they would only need 8-9 Pro Mods run the full 24 races to equal Pro Stock's "success".
The rest of Pro Stock are part schedule racers.
__________________
.
a21stud only refers to the more common 21 stud flathead motors early drag racers coveted before the Chy. Hemi and sbc came along.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-13-2017
Mac4264 Mac4264 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MNYTYS View Post
Not talking about EFI exactly. But that was a pretty quick decision on NHRA's part once Peter Clifford was elevated to the helm. Announced in Denver 2015 for a Pomona 2016 start date is pretty quick. Even quicker when the parts from Holley were not even available until Jan 2016.

Talking about the fact that Graham Light and the rest of NHRA are constantly throwing out teasers as to how they are going to treat Pro Stock. All of the rumors in the past 12 months: stock bodies vs current bodies, stock engine platforms vs 500 CI, N/A vs forced induction, 500 CI vs mountain motor, 18 races vs 24 races. No one of these rumored changes will make a positive change to the class.

Don't forget the rule changes that started this downward spiral: EFI vs Carb, long wheelie bars vs short, front of car vs rear, engine covers or no engine covers and 10,500 rpm vs 12,000 rpm. Not one of these rule changes had a positive change to the class.

As for the people I know, they could care less how people think of them or how they spend their money or if they race or not. But they do have semis full of equipment and new cars that have never been down the track. All of the equipment is sellable to a number of people should they decide to quit racing, 500 CI EFI NHRA Pro Stock engines, not so much anymore. So with no certainty on the direction of the class why would they want to invest their money. If NHRA wanted to see the class continue to be strong and attract new and former racers they would put a stop to the rumors not encourage them.

But Pro Stock is the only class that is in trouble right? Top Fuel, Funny Car, Alcohol/Nitro dragster, Alcohol Funny Car, Comp those classes are all super strong with above average car counts at all events right? WRONG, anything that has an engine in it and is used to entertain is going by the wayside to make room for more smart phones.
You seem to be the only one that's paying attention. So to the others that state how sponsors don't get ROI with pro stock, that's not a pro stock problem it's a drag racing problem. So from a team owner like my family why would we want to reinvest in another class at this point. Done it twice in our life. I guess we can just keep beating this to death but love or hate pro stock we seem to have our own thread all the time and so many like to say how they don't watch it but are the first to post in here.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-13-2017
DynoGrump DynoGrump is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 810
Default

maybe Chris M. or anyone can answer a question for me. why not implement a new rule that every single component on a Pro stock car must be an 'off the shelf' item, with no modifications, available to anyone who wants it and ban anything that is priced way above the going market value (such as expensive shocks/manifolds/valve springs/rear-ends etc.). A lot of people blame KB for ruining pro stock, but I feel the onus is on the NHRA to maintain rules that keep cost in line. So far their solutions (decals/pit orientation/ wheelie bars/burnout contest ) has been nothing short of asinine. A rule such as this would allow anyone on a modest budget to race and be competitive.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-14-2017
Mac4264 Mac4264 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoGrump View Post
maybe Chris M. or anyone can answer a question for me. why not implement a new rule that every single component on a Pro stock car must be an 'off the shelf' item, with no modifications, available to anyone who wants it and ban anything that is priced way above the going market value (such as expensive shocks/manifolds/valve springs/rear-ends etc.). A lot of people blame KB for ruining pro stock, but I feel the onus is on the NHRA to maintain rules that keep cost in line. So far their solutions (decals/pit orientation/ wheelie bars/burnout contest ) has been nothing short of asinine. A rule such as this would allow anyone on a modest budget to race and be competitive.
To hard to police all the different components and people who manufacture it all. So the next deal is to use the single supplier and you see how people reacted over the EFI deal kicking and screaming like little kids and it wouldn't have mattered anyway. The tires are done this way too. Gas as well. Air Induction and the bodies too hmm seems like the list keeps going on. But it wouldn't not have mattered on the EFI system if they left it to whatever you want to use the intake manifold still would have been the part we all would have beat the crap out of.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-14-2017
2MNYTYS 2MNYTYS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
You seem to be the only one that's paying attention. So to the others that state how sponsors don't get ROI with pro stock, that's not a pro stock problem it's a drag racing problem. So from a team owner like my family why would we want to reinvest in another class at this point. Done it twice in our life. I guess we can just keep beating this to death but love or hate pro stock we seem to have our own thread all the time and so many like to say how they don't watch it but are the first to post in here.
The other thing that I pay attention to is in todays society everyone has the ME ME ME mentality. They will do or say anything so they appear to be better than the next guy/gal. Chris I see you as seeing the same thing. You have stated several times on different forums that the NHRA as organization is in trouble with all of their classes, I agree! Just about anyone that has posted in any of the Pro Stock threads on the internet are there to bash the one class they can't run. But Pro Mod is the savior, Top Fuel is fine, Funny Car is great, Alcohol classes are where it's at... PRO MOD HAS TO PAY THE NHRA TO RUN! How can that be considered a healthy class in the NHRA? NHRA does not want to pay the Pro Mod racers. If anything Pro Mod the test bed for NHRA's future model. You want a class you need to come up with a sponsor and pay us. And that will be the end of NHRA.

All racers need to stand together and support each and every class out there, not just their own. I don't like the .90 classes, I am not going to start a discussion bashing them. I have a great amount of respect for those that choose to race Super Comp and Super Gas, they are some of the best racers out there.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-14-2017
Yvonne* Yvonne* is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MNYTYS View Post
The other thing that I pay attention to is in todays society everyone has the ME ME ME mentality. They will do or say anything so they appear to be better than the next guy/gal. Chris I see you as seeing the same thing. You have stated several times on different forums that the NHRA as organization is in trouble with all of their classes, I agree! Just about anyone that has posted in any of the Pro Stock threads on the internet are there to bash the one class they can't run. But Pro Mod is the savior, Top Fuel is fine, Funny Car is great, Alcohol classes are where it's at... PRO MOD HAS TO PAY THE NHRA TO RUN! How can that be considered a healthy class in the NHRA? NHRA does not want to pay the Pro Mod racers. If anything Pro Mod the test bed for NHRA's future model. You want a class you need to come up with a sponsor and pay us. And that will be the end of NHRA.

All racers need to stand together and support each and every class out there, not just their own. I don't like the .90 classes, I am not going to start a discussion bashing them. I have a great amount of respect for those that choose to race Super Comp and Super Gas, they are some of the best racers out there.
I think the biggest discrepancy between the two factions here is defining what a successful model is and is not. There are many different forms of "pay to play" so don't be fooled into thinking Pro Mod is the only one doing it. One look at the payouts for TF and PS and we can say without a doubt, they are paying to play themselves. There is no way they are recouping their expenses with those purses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.