CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 09-11-2017

Dead on the vine when it's all camaro's all the time. Too bad been following since the Motown missle days
Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddyhahn View Post
Dead on the vine when it's all camaro's all the time. Too bad been following since the Motown missle days
Who's fault is that? If it wasn't for GM P/S would be nothing more than a memory. Mopar & Phord should be ashamed of themselves for not put more resources toward P/S. Hell,it's not GM's fault the other Big 2 don't support the class. My loyalty to GM left when they discontinued my beloved Oldsmobiles. I have a Chevy truck but it's all Toyota now for me.
Old 09-11-2017

Sadly, as a true red blooded doorslammer race, it is dying. I don't know why Ford and Chrysler would put money into it, the cars don't even LOOK like anything anyone sells. They are not even fun to watch. Although the performance is amazing, they are so scienced out that once you've seen one run, you've seen them all. Chrysler and Ford's money has been much smarter spent on the DP and the CJ programs. Those Drag Paks are everywhere, as are the CJs.

Keep the big motors if you want, I'd like to. Even keep carburetors even. But, make them run factory sheetmetal....a stock body shell, glass replacement parts OK. Make them put a passenger seat back in them. Get rid of the computers, all the doodads. No big spoilers, no big wings and stuff like that. Make them fun to watch again. Make them a factory hot rod rather than a computer generated generic racecar. But, it won't happen.

It won't happen because there is such an investment by owners like Ken Black and others, and making what they do obsolete and worthless would take courage no one has. The time to address that would have been when it started getting out of hand, and now it is too late. Not knocking Black, he and others followed the rules and did what they were permitted to do. Can't blame them for doing that. Now you've got cookie cutter cars that all look alike, and only a few engine builders, building the same thing and cars that all look alike. Next year, with AJ gone, it will be worse.

It's followed a very predictable pattern. Loosen the rules to placate one or two of the deep pockets guys and eventually they kill it. Remember 'Econo Dragster'? Or 'Econo Altered'?

I guess it's a natural progression. Sad to see it go, but it is going.
Old 09-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Poole View Post
it's all Toyota now for me.
Line that weak a$$ junk up next to a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger.
Old 09-12-2017

Hey don't pick on Toyota ! Without them we would have no one in NASCAR to hate . Im sure WJ uses one as a daily driver after his old Oldsmobile took a crap !
Old 09-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Line that weak a$$ junk up next to a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger.
Junk? Lol,just in case you didn't know,everything is not about racing. I like driving my cars and they have resale value compared to the Jeeps.lol BTW,how's that slant 6 Valiant working out for ya.lol
Old 09-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop36@aol.com View Post
Hey don't pick on Toyota ! Without them we would have no one in NASCAR to hate . Im sure WJ uses one as a daily driver after his old Oldsmobile took a crap !
Naw,he drives a Vette to work.
Old 09-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1118 View Post
Sadly, as a true red blooded doorslammer race, it is dying. I don't know why Ford and Chrysler would put money into it, the cars don't even LOOK like anything anyone sells. They are not even fun to watch. Although the performance is amazing, they are so scienced out that once you've seen one run, you've seen them all. Chrysler and Ford's money has been much smarter spent on the DP and the CJ programs. Those Drag Paks are everywhere, as are the CJs.

Keep the big motors if you want, I'd like to. Even keep carburetors even. But, make them run factory sheetmetal....a stock body shell, glass replacement parts OK. Make them put a passenger seat back in them. Get rid of the computers, all the doodads. No big spoilers, no big wings and stuff like that. Make them fun to watch again. Make them a factory hot rod rather than a computer generated generic racecar. But, it won't happen.

It won't happen because there is such an investment by owners like Ken Black and others, and making what they do obsolete and worthless would take courage no one has. The time to address that would have been when it started getting out of hand, and now it is too late. Not knocking Black, he and others followed the rules and did what they were permitted to do. Can't blame them for doing that. Now you've got cookie cutter cars that all look alike, and only a few engine builders, building the same thing and cars that all look alike. Next year, with AJ gone, it will be worse.

It's followed a very predictable pattern. Loosen the rules to placate one or two of the deep pockets guys and eventually they kill it. Remember 'Econo Dragster'? Or 'Econo Altered'?

I guess it's a natural progression. Sad to see it go, but it is going.
You take away everything you just said and you basically have a super stock car. Unfortunately you won't have a problem finding a seat there either.
Old 09-12-2017

Pro Stock has always been an outlaw Super Stock. One of the major attractions is that it was attainable to rank and file racers. It was the ultimate class for real gearheads.

But, have it your way. NHRA has proven that it cannot survive on a spectator only gate. Just not enough spectator only base to support it. Us oldsters that get it keep saying that, and you guys keep trying to prove us wrong. It's still true. Like many of us, I was at Indy Wed-Friday, and left after the Hemi Shootout on Friday night. Indy is over after that. I leave before the circus starts. Can't handle watching them roll a stage across the starting line, having the kids run out through a smoke machine and hop around like Rocky Balboa on the steps of the Philadelphia Library. I notice in the pics there was a lot of open aluminum on Sunday and Monday.

But, I don't care, really. Keep it your way. Keep doing what you are doing. Keep whistling past the graveyard. Keep telling yourself that. Keep telling yourself that next year is the year the corner is turned, the spectator gate alone can support it. I really would love to see NHRA run a Pro only event. Really would. If they thought it would work, they would have tried it. But, they haven't. Keep your cookie cutter, look alike race cars driven by 20 year old somethings with PR coaches. I would be willing to bet that of the total gate at any NHRA National Event, especially Indy, 40% consists of friends/crew/family of the S-SS-Com-SG-SC racers that participate in the event and are part of the experience. NHRA could easily disprove this by releasing their spectator only attendance figures, but they won't and don't. Makes you wonder.
Old 09-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Poole View Post
Junk? Lol,just in case you didn't know,everything is not about racing. I like driving my cars and they have resale value compared to the Jeeps.lol BTW,how's that slant 6 Valiant working out for ya.lol
those slant 6's were known for their longivity. back in the days when V8's were known to be junk by 100K those 225 slants were knowb to go 225-250k.