CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
Oops; guess that article slipped past me.

For what it's worth, I was also impressed with Lagana's Pro Stock-like RT. And I wonder if they removed the limiter to make that pass...looks like they pretty much would have had to.

As a rule of thumb, you can subtract about .65 from the quarter mile ET to get the 1000' ET, meaning Leah Pritchett made a would-be 4.30 pass at Brainerd. They don't gain a lot of speed in the last 320 feet - maybe 15mph or so. Still, a potential 4.30@345 for the top-shelf cars....don't think we (or the cars) are ready for that.
Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
Monster run! This will certainly play into the 1/4 debate for the Aussies.
I dont know, look at it from the other side, all he got out of the last 320 feet was 15mph in almost 3/4ths of a second. Is that really worth the safety risks? You can almost think just not hitting the chutes at 1000 feet that the current cars would easily get that number.

Yeah, the fuse is lit at the hit of the throttle and parts are decimated, but I am pretty sure that the top fuel crew chiefs would find a way to let them survive another half second to get more than 15 mph extra for their effort.
Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
I am pretty sure that the top fuel crew chiefs would find a way to let them survive another half second to get more than 15 mph extra for their effort.
They aren't going to get more than 15mph. At that point (330mph at 1000'), the aero resistance and downforce on the wings is so powerful that even 10,000hp has a hard time accelerating the car. And that's assuming there's some RPM left - and no limiter installed.

To prove my point, the cars accelerate from 0 to over 200mph during the first 330 feet....and only an additional 30-35mph during the 340 feet from the 660 to the 1000. By the time they reach 1000 feet, it's pretty much over. The call for returning to 1320 feet isn't to see the big numbers - it's the call from purists to return to the original distance.
Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
A nice clean run is never a problem...it's the not so clean run that can make things a little dicey. Great job by the Lagana's.

Last edited by Eugene Gray; 09-12-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2017

1000 feet is 320 feet short of a real drag race.
Old 09-12-2017

Quote:
I really don't think it should.

The reason for the shortening of the track length has very little to do with being able to slow them down from 338 when everything goes right like on this 'Monster Run'.....

....it has more to do with slowing them down from 338 when things DON'T GO RIGHT.
Old 09-12-2017
Super Moderator

What I meant guys is that you can't underestimate the PR power of a big number. For the track venue, the fans and the organization. It could carry weight and sway opinion. Most of the lay fans aren't thinking about safety (unfortunately). They are thinking about witnessing historical events in extreme ways. Orgs are thinking about putting butts in the seats. Venues are thinking about bragging rights. (How many tracks can you name that use tag lines such as "....site of quickest... site of fastest..... site of first...?) Right or wrong, that has power. I can name race promoters that use big numbers as the #1 motive and priority behind their event.

I still think they should go to 1000 ft due to safety and stopping distances that cannot be increased at existing facilities and to keep consistent with the rest of the world of drag racing.
Old 09-12-2017

Quote:
What I meant guys is that you can't underestimate the PR power of a big number. For the track venue, the fans and the organization. It could carry weight and sway opinion. Most of the lay fans aren't thinking about safety (unfortunately). They are thinking about witnessing historical events in extreme ways. Orgs are thinking about putting butts in the seats. Venues are thinking about bragging rights. (How many tracks can you name that use tag lines such as "....site of quickest... site of fastest..... site of first...?) Right or wrong, that has power. I can name race promoters that use big numbers as the #1 motive and priority behind their event.

I still think they should go to 1000 ft due to safety and stopping distances that cannot be increased at existing facilities and to keep consistent with the rest of the world of drag racing.
I agree 100%.
Old 09-12-2017

What a nice pass down the 1320! Loved it!

TopFuel@Lions...1320 feet of magic moments.
Old 09-13-2017

http://www.hardcore50racing.com/vbul...ad.php?t=27552

That's right, Gene, my two boys and I were up at Brainerd today and Tony Schumacher put down a 4.44@337 qualifying pass to put him in the number 1 position for tomorrows finals. He backed that up with a slowish 4.48@330.

Got some great pictures of my boys with Tony, John Force and the legend himself, Mr. Bob Glidden who was over in the Jegs pits working on Jeg Coughlins ride. Gene said, "Hey there is Bob working on the car." Stopped and looked, yep. I didn't go a step further until I got his picture with my boys. He is a GREAT, GREAT guy. He was messing around with my youngest boy during the picture and was very nice, talkative and appreciative of us wanting a picture with him. Hell, maybe he has forgotten who HE is. The legend!

Gene stayed up there. I had to get back for some hockey stuff tomorrow so we couldn't stay, but it sure was a blast! I will be there next year for sure.