CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 09-03-2016

Default U.S. wants to slow Truckers Down !

Just a thought how this might impact Drag Racing teams who constantly drive cross country to races ?

Will it have an impact driving from a race to the shop to replenish and off to the next track?

What about a rain-out and the race is continued til Monday or like when the Maple Grove race was dragged out to Tuesday because of rain and the Countdown? Doesn't give you much time to pack up and goto the next weeks race.

It is obvious that it's easier to stop a Honda v.s. a fully semi in a situation but in todays world with distractions like Texting while driving can also cause an accident also.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6fbb7...nd-bus-drivers
Old 09-03-2016

They should probably study Ohio's data from when trucks were 55 and cars were 65. There may have been other states like that, but that's the one I did a lot of driving in at the time. In a car in even moderate traffic, you pretty much had to stay in the left lane all the time which might cause you to miss your exit. At the same time, truck drivers would always have to worry about getting cut off suddenly by a car trying to make their exit.

As far as tire limitations, the sport of drag racing has inspired some big advances in tire technology for high speeds.

Now I do a lot of driving on interstates in New York where it's 65 for everyone. Tractor trailers always seem to be the ones right at or even 1 or 2 mph under the speed limit. I don't know if that's because of heavy enforcement or fuel cost, but either way it mostly works out.
Old 09-03-2016

Its so hard for truckers now with all the rules and trucking companies hard to keep drivers,without truckers we would be in trouble. Us needs to let up already
Old 09-03-2016
Super Moderator

If I'm not mistaken some of the new trucks are equipped with transponders that record mph. That tends to curb any speeding problems. And I agree we need truck drivers so give these guys a break and don't make their jobs harder by cutting them off and other foolish behavior. I know several and they are good drivers who care about what they're doing on the roads.
Old 09-03-2016

Most are equipped with GPS trackers also.
Old 09-03-2016

Yeah, speed differentials will cause more accidents than speeding. If everyone is going 70, 75 or 80 on a four lane interstate, traffic is easier to navigate.

If you have someone going 20mph faster than everyone else, there is a greater chance they'll lose control because of all the steering inputs from weaving in and out of traffic and having to slam on their brakes if there is no route to get around the traffic in front of them or someone slower pulls into the the left lane right in front of them. Same reason NHRA doesn't want bracket racers hitting the brakes on the big end. That is the common misconception about high speeds causing more wrecks. Speeding causes wrecks because slow traffic gets in the way or you're going way too fast for conditions or the road itself. Same thing if you're going 10-20mph slower than everyone else. Anyone approaching you at the speed limit has to get around you or slam on their brakes.

How about instead of slowing big rigs down, you make them more powerful and efficient. Tires are all load and speed rated, make it a DOT rule that you can't use cheap crap tires on 70+mph interstates. They already bust them for load ratings. Make an 85,000-105,500lbs rig powerful enough to climb a hill at the speed limit. Eliminate the speed differentials if you want to save lives.

Talk about Diesel engines and efficiency, since California and the EPA mandated DPF, EGR and DEF systems, efficiency is bad.. I use my own 2013 Duramax as an example. DEF system took a dump post warranty period, was cheaper to delete it than replace it. With DEF system just highway cruise, no towing, 3/4 ton truck got 14-15 mpg with an Economy fuel tuner running 75-80mph. Deleted DEF, EGR and DPF systems, 5" Straight Pipe and put a 550 horse tune on it, it gets 21+mpg at 75-80mph cruise.
Old 09-03-2016

Well just got back from CA and since that state apparently mandated all cars to drive in the left lane it seems trucks cannot pass and go faster anyway.
Old 09-03-2016

Wow...In New Jersey, If you're caught in the left lane too long...You get a ticket.
Old 09-03-2016

I think they should slow everyone down to 65 mph...
Oh, wait...
Old 09-03-2016

A real problem for truckers is boredom and driving slower just makes them less effective. When Iím driving ten over the speed limit, Iím paying attention and doing a better job. When I make a mistake driving itís almost always because Iím going slower and not paying as much attention.

Therefore, increase the speed limit and everyone will pay more attention. It works on Germanyís Autobahn. Not sure if it would work with all the Prius and Hondaís in the left lane though. It sure would make the truckers happy.

It would decrease traffic congestion too. If everyone is driving 60 and they increase the speed limit to 90, then everyone would arrive at their destination in 2/3rds the time for a 50% reduction in traffic congestion. Saves fuel too since the motors are shut off 1/3 sooner than the other way.