CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-09-2012

No one stopped the teams from building one of the old shrouds either.

NHRA stopped everybody from building a shroud didn't they...?
Old 01-09-2012

I can see both sides of the argument. If you allow the teams with the budget to do serious R&D in house, the lower budget teams have even less of a chance to be competitive. However, innovation certainly is part of what makes the sport interesting. We also have to take into account that performance innovations are only going to cause speeds to be more of a problem than they already are. I'd like to see teams allowed to come up with stuff in house within reason (good luck figuring out how to regulate that), but I certainly don't think teams should be able to have outside companies build parts that only their team can purchase, as in the case of the DSR hat.
Old 01-09-2012

As long as this thing has a quick release system that is well marked for the safety crew, stopping anyone from running it is just politics. Saying it costs too much is like saying the Cherry on top of a Bannana Split makes it too fattening. If the canopy is approved it has to have all plans & a prototype sent to NHRA so what is the problem. Yes; the connecting apprataus will most likely be spec, but other than that anyone that can't figure out how to have (make) one doesn't need it anyway. It may come to "Everyone else gets a period of time to exercise the long standing "Copy Cat" system before it is allowed".
Old 01-09-2012

I hope they are allowed to run them, Big Daddy ran his years ago so what is the big deal. If other teams whine, either pony up the money to build their own or see how much DSR will sell them one.
Old 01-09-2012
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I hope they are allowed to run them, Big Daddy ran his years ago so what is the big deal. If other teams whine, either pony up the money to build their own or see how much DSR will sell them one.
That's what I said Scotty!!!
Old 01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelfan View Post
That's what I said Scotty!!!
My bad, didn't see yours
Old 01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
As long as this thing has a quick release system that is well marked for the safety crew, stopping anyone from running it is just politics. Saying it costs too much is like saying the Cherry on top of a Bannana Split makes it too fattening. If the canopy is approved it has to have all plans & a prototype sent to NHRA so what is the problem. Yes; the connecting apprataus will most likely be spec, but other than that anyone that can't figure out how to have (make) one doesn't need it anyway. It may come to "Everyone else gets a period of time to exercise the long standing "Copy Cat" system before it is allowed".
Seems reasonable to me.
Old 01-09-2012

I just hope that NHRA rules on it and sticks to it no crap like last year its as if they have something against DSR when if it wasnt for them who knows what NHRA would be like.
Old 01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb301 View Post
They haven't even tested it yet, how do you know it will be a performance advantage? Big Daddy had an enclosed cockpit and he didn't have a performance advantage with SR 34.
Seriously? Look again at the thing and tell me it won't slice through the wind better than what current rules dictate. and I'm betting your way wrong about Garlits' canopy. I don't think he ever did a single thing to a car unless it gained performance. I remember him saying it was his noticing rice ash being moved 15' ahead of a cars that made him start focusing on aero.
Old 01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
I agree with all that. However I dislike exclusivity deals teams have forced upon some of their supplier of parts. Exclusivity meaning the supplier isn't allowed to sell them to anyone else. The 4-hole hats on the DSR cats is one example.

Tags
canopy, dsr, shroud, top fuel