CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-10-2012
RacerRoy's Avatar
RacerRoy RacerRoy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 994
Default

Just how long will it take for NHRA to approve/reject the DSR Canopy.?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-10-2012
Tim Charlet's Avatar
Tim Charlet Tim Charlet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRoy View Post
Just how long will it take for NHRA to approve/reject the DSR Canopy.?
How much money you got?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-11-2012
RacerRoy's Avatar
RacerRoy RacerRoy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 994
Default

Point taken.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-11-2012
Fuel Cars Fuel Cars is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 54
Default

Jet fighters have a full canopy with windshields well more than triple the thickness of the dsr canopy and still have had birds go thru the windshields.

I can't think of a single incident in the last decade where a modern day TF driver was injured, even slightly, from something hitting the driver from the front.


This is all about aerodynamics, pure and simple. If it becomes legal, the price will sky rocket and will be made to fit only dsr chassis.

__________________
Paul
Concepts Engineering
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-11-2012
kb301 kb301 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Cars View Post
Jet fighters have a full canopy with windshields well more than triple the thickness of the dsr canopy and still have had birds go thru the windshields.

I can't think of a single incident in the last decade where a modern day TF driver was injured, even slightly, from something hitting the driver from the front.


This is all about aerodynamics, pure and simple. If it becomes legal, the price will sky rocket and will be made to fit only dsr chassis.

Only takes 1 fatal incident and if the NHRA can prevent that from happening, I am all for it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-11-2012
old geezer old geezer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Cars View Post
Jet fighters have a full canopy with windshields well more than triple the thickness of the dsr canopy and still have had birds go thru the windshields.

I can't think of a single incident in the last decade where a modern day TF driver was injured, even slightly, from something hitting the driver from the front.


This is all about aerodynamics, pure and simple. If it becomes legal, the price will sky rocket and will be made to fit only dsr chassis.

You may be right about aero, but price is relative on these cars, they aren't soap-box derby cost cars. As for fit, I'm thinking you might be stretching that point just a bit. have you heard anything from a TF team regarding this, or maybe it's just your assumption?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-11-2012
anotheridiot anotheridiot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb301 View Post
Only takes 1 fatal incident and if the NHRA can prevent that from happening, I am all for it.
So what about nhra not being able to extract a driver in time because its in the way, jammed, stuck or just plain against the wall?

You look at preventing an accident from what has hardly ever happened like fuel cars says, or making an accident a fatality because it was in the way.
__________________
Sometimes the peanut gallery can make a useful suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-11-2012
RVT1000's Avatar
RVT1000 RVT1000 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb301 View Post
Only takes 1 fatal incident and if the NHRA can prevent that from happening, I am all for it.
The only way to assure that is to never start the cars.

I'm not buying the safety aspect of DSR's argument. Their current windshields are high enough to protect the driver's heads, just make it thicker if you want to be extra cautious.
__________________
A.K.A. Diablo Bastido
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-11-2012
kb301 kb301 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
So what about nhra not being able to extract a driver in time because its in the way, jammed, stuck or just plain against the wall?.
That's the NHRA's job to make sure the benefit out weighs the incremental risk in case of a worst case scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-11-2012
Twostep Twostep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Cars View Post
This is all about aerodynamics, pure and simple.
Yeah....and?

As long as the device doesn't compromise safety in any way and it's made available to anyone, I can't come with a reason in the world to deny DSR the use of it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canopy, dsr, nhra, shroud, top fuel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.