CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 04-10-2012

Just how long will it take for NHRA to approve/reject the DSR Canopy.?
Old 04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRoy View Post
Just how long will it take for NHRA to approve/reject the DSR Canopy.?
How much money you got?
Old 04-11-2012

Point taken.
Old 04-11-2012

Jet fighters have a full canopy with windshields well more than triple the thickness of the dsr canopy and still have had birds go thru the windshields.

I can't think of a single incident in the last decade where a modern day TF driver was injured, even slightly, from something hitting the driver from the front.

This is all about aerodynamics, pure and simple. If it becomes legal, the price will sky rocket and will be made to fit only dsr chassis.

Old 04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Cars View Post
Jet fighters have a full canopy with windshields well more than triple the thickness of the dsr canopy and still have had birds go thru the windshields.

I can't think of a single incident in the last decade where a modern day TF driver was injured, even slightly, from something hitting the driver from the front.

This is all about aerodynamics, pure and simple. If it becomes legal, the price will sky rocket and will be made to fit only dsr chassis.

Only takes 1 fatal incident and if the NHRA can prevent that from happening, I am all for it.
Old 04-11-2012

Quote:

You may be right about aero, but price is relative on these cars, they aren't soap-box derby cost cars. As for fit, I'm thinking you might be stretching that point just a bit. have you heard anything from a TF team regarding this, or maybe it's just your assumption?
Old 04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb301 View Post
Only takes 1 fatal incident and if the NHRA can prevent that from happening, I am all for it.
So what about nhra not being able to extract a driver in time because its in the way, jammed, stuck or just plain against the wall?

You look at preventing an accident from what has hardly ever happened like fuel cars says, or making an accident a fatality because it was in the way.
Old 04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb301 View Post
The only way to assure that is to never start the cars.

I'm not buying the safety aspect of DSR's argument. Their current windshields are high enough to protect the driver's heads, just make it thicker if you want to be extra cautious.
Old 04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
So what about nhra not being able to extract a driver in time because its in the way, jammed, stuck or just plain against the wall?.
That's the NHRA's job to make sure the benefit out weighs the incremental risk in case of a worst case scenario.
Old 04-11-2012

Quote:
This is all about aerodynamics, pure and simple.
Yeah....and?

As long as the device doesn't compromise safety in any way and it's made available to anyone, I can't come with a reason in the world to deny DSR the use of it.

Tags
canopy, dsr, nhra, shroud, top fuel