CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 03-29-2018
Super Moderator

Default ARP Question: Whack Or Not To Whack The Throttle

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...k-the-throttle
Old 03-30-2018

.... Wack it!..... Wack it good! I've got a "wack it" version of the Devos song "Whip it" playing in my head.
Old 03-30-2018

I would love to see teams whack the throttle, but I'm not sure NHRA should have the authority to make it mandatory. But I voted YES anyway.
Old 03-30-2018

For me the answer was in the second choice of the question. The word entertainment. The teams are there to race, but they are also there to entertain. The racing is the entertainment. If not whacking the throttle helps performance, so be it. I would much rather see great performance than hear a few throttle whacks. After all, the best throttle whacks happen when the light goes yellow.
Old 03-30-2018

I love it, but see no reason to mandate it. It does impress new fans when I bring them each year. If this were NHRAís idea. They should just set up a throttle whack booth in the pits somewhere if they wanted to entertain the fans.
Old 03-30-2018

they might make it mandatory to not whack it. Look at the carnage on the track, you want that when the fans are 30 feet away?
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecapnredfish View Post
I love it, but see no reason to mandate it. It does impress new fans when I bring them each year. If this were NHRAís idea. They should just set up a throttle whack booth in the pits somewhere if they wanted to entertain the fans.
I was going to say the same thing except set it up in the midway. Maybe some of the sellers would be willing to help sponsor it. Each race could showcase a sponor/seller. Iím sure it would at the least draw a crowd.......
Old 03-30-2018

Just bring the Worsham's nitro margarita mixer to each event and solve this issue. They whack it a few times, then enjoy a sample of the results!
(5:17, 6:50)
https://youtu.be/_5-lYa0FM-o?t=5m9s

Throttle whacks for us back in the day was more fun to just watch others jump in the air scared to death. When the the extra fuel was dumped in and the tone of the engine deepens, you knew it was coming.

As long as they keep using the fans to blow the yellow nitro exhaust out into the crowd is just as entertaining to watch. When one fires up, they run and gather from all around. Then, one by one, they slowly peel away holding their nose and/or ears (trying to decide what to plug up because you can't do both) with their eyes watering.
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
Just bring the Worsham's nitro margarita mixer to each event and solve this issue. They whack it a few times, then enjoy a sample of the results!
(5:17, 6:50)
https://youtu.be/_5-lYa0FM-o?t=5m9s

Throttle whacks for us back in the day was more fun to just watch others jump in the air scared to death. When the the extra fuel was dumped in and the tone of the engine deepens, you knew it was coming.

As long as they keep using the fans to blow the yellow nitro exhaust out into the crowd is just as entertaining to watch. When one fires up, they run and gather from all around. Then, one by one, they slowly peel away holding their nose and/or ears (trying to decide what to plug up because you can't do both) with their eyes watering.
Perfect..... They could get those mini sample cups, charge a buck a sample and pay for the nitro......
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
they might make it mandatory to not whack it. Look at the carnage on the track, you want that when the fans are 30 feet away?
Whether or not that could happen might depend on how intense the whack is - cracking the throttle just a little like John Force has been doing, or rearing back and kicking the throttle wide open which REALLY knocks the fans on their butts. Team Kalitta did this once years ago and banged the blower right there in the pits right at the hit. I don't believe anyone was injured; just scared to death.

Force part-throttle whack (at 1:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eUssjUNXMg