CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
I would love to see teams whack the throttle, but I'm not sure NHRA should have the authority to make it mandatory. But I voted YES anyway.
How might they not have the authority? It's their playgorund and their rules. Think teams will quit and gorace elsewhere? There is no elsewhere.

But if no mandate, they could award a few points to those who partake.
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
How might they not have the authority? It's their playgorund and their rules. Think teams will quit and gorace elsewhere? There is no elsewhere.
I didn't say they WOULDN'T have the authority. I'm saying they SHOULDN'T. Banning throttle whacks on safety grounds, I can understand that line of reasoning. But telling teams you MUST whack the throttle when the teams know it will most likely interfere with clutch consistency is something I'm not sure they should be doing - which is exactly what I posted... "I'm not sure NHRA should have the authority to make it mandatory".

Moot point, anyway....the NHRA isn't going to make throttle whacking mandatory, not in a million years.
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecapnredfish View Post
. They should just set up a throttle whack booth in the pits somewhere if they wanted to entertain the fans.
I've made a similar suggestion in the past. Getting vendors to sponsor is a great idea. They could do it with basically the back-half of a dragster. The engine wouldn't need to make nearly as much power of those being used in competition to net the same bone jarring experience.
Old 03-30-2018

If mandated, will they check for full throttle and length of time at full throttle or will the sharper crew chiefs set it at 85% full throttle for an extremely minute amount of time?
In other words, what is the minimum to make NHRA happy and maybe assign a championship point?
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
I've made a similar suggestion in the past. Getting vendors to sponsor is a great idea. They could do it with basically the back-half of a dragster. The engine wouldn't need to make nearly as much power of those being used in competition to net the same bone jarring experience.
I think that's a fine idea. I've also suggested a static-display Pro Stock car located in the Midway area (or in a team's pit area) that people could check out, ask questions about the car, sit in it and have their pictures taken as an idea to boost fan interaction with the Pro Stock class - and had a positive response to this suggestion from two different PS engine builders. But that'll never come to pass, either.
Old 03-30-2018
Super Moderator

Mandatory? Hahahahahaha Is NHRA going to pay for parts? Nope. I don't think additional stress to valvetrain parts is high on the list of To-Do's for a nitro car at the moment.

Remember how many PS cars did longer burnouts? Yeah, that flopped. Remember when Greg Anderson said if NHRA asked, they would consider it? Yeah, neither would've happened there either.
Old 03-30-2018

My question would be, are questions like this solely to drive hits to the website and forum?
Old 03-30-2018

Not much else going on. Probably.
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
I've also suggested a static-display Pro Stock car located in the Midway area (or in a team's pit area) that people could check out, ask questions about the car, sit in it and have their pictures taken as an idea to boost fan interaction with the Pro Stock class - and had a positive response to this suggestion from two different PS engine builders. But that'll never come to pass, either.
I've suggested they have such cars (fuel too) but mounted on rotisseries with cut-away views. The TV crew could make great use of them too.
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
If mandated, will they check for full throttle and length of time at full throttle or will the sharper crew chiefs set it at 85% full throttle for an extremely minute amount of time?
In other words, what is the minimum to make NHRA happy and maybe assign a championship point?
I think the rods would blow out the sides of the block if they ever attempted a WOT wack!