CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 04-17-2018

Default So - If I were to buy a COPO...?

Not that I could afford one, but I've always been curious about how these cars can be 'improved' or are categorized into Stock or Super Stock eliminator.

For example - the COPO comes in three LS trims "The LS engines consist of the supercharged 350-cubic-inch V-8 and the naturally aspirated 427-cubic inch (7.0-liter) V-8,. The LT-based engine is a direct-injected 376-cubic inch (6.2-liter) V-8. All three engines will come mated to a drag-ready TH400 3-speed automatic transmission." It's said by Chevrolet that they are capable of running 8.50's...so how do COPO owners get them to run near the 7's????

Also which one falls into which Stock or Super Stock class?

Additionally, what can an owner do to improve performance? Are they allowed to port and polish heads, use different gear ratios, make adjustments to the fuel system? Or are these cars typically enhanced through electrical tune-ups?

Perhaps Mike Carr or another Stock / Super Stock guru can shed some light on this question, as I'm admittedly "IGNORANT" in regards to this really awesome category and would like to learn more.
Old 04-17-2018

someone posted a link on here a while ago about some guys that got a brand new 80,000. Ford mustang or cobra whichever one they have the big options on, and they laid out all the after market parts they bought to replace what ford originally had on the car to get it ready to race. I believe they spent 100k.

My thought was if the manufacturers wanted you to change everything, they would have just sold shells. I thought it was a spit in the face to Ford.
Old 04-17-2018

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post
Not that I could afford one, but I've always been curious about how these cars can be 'improved' or are categorized into Stock or Super Stock eliminator.

For example - the COPO comes in three LS trims "The LS engines consist of the supercharged 350-cubic-inch V-8 and the naturally aspirated 427-cubic inch (7.0-liter) V-8,. The LT-based engine is a direct-injected 376-cubic inch (6.2-liter) V-8. All three engines will come mated to a drag-ready TH400 3-speed automatic transmission." It's said by Chevrolet that they are capable of running 8.50's...so how do COPO owners get them to run near the 7's????

Additionally, what can an owner do to improve performance? Are they allowed to port and polish heads, use different gear ratios, make adjustments to the fuel system? Or are these cars typically enhanced through electrical tune-ups?

Perhaps Mike Carr or another Stock / Super Stock guru can shed some light on this question, as I'm admittedly "IGNORANT" in regards to this really awesome category and would like to learn more.
The only one that will run near the 7's is the supercharged 350. In Factory Stock Showdown trim, it must weigh 3650 lbs. and is designated FS/XX. It's natural class is FS/AA where it must weigh 3415 lbs. (5.50 weight to HP factor X 590 HP +170 lbs. for driver weight). All 3 combinations are legal for Stock and Super Stock. For clarification, here is a link to the NHRA Classification Guide - http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...635&zoneid=132.

They are not allowed to port and polish heads, they can use any gear ratio, and, because they are computer controlled, they are tuned by a laptop just like any other computer controlled Stocker or Super Stocker. If there is anything that you don't understand, send me a Private Message and I will do my best to answer. Also, check out the Classracer.com website which is devoted completely to Stock and Super Stock racing. Many of the great Stock and Super Stock racers are regular contributors along with fans like me. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained on Classracer. If you want to join, it is free and you will be able to post like you do on hear. If you don't want to join, you will be able to read the comments that are made by others. Hope this helps!
Old 04-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracingfan1 View Post
The only one that will run near the 7's is the supercharged 350. In Factory Stock Showdown trim, it must weigh 3650 lbs. and is designated FS/XX. It's natural class is FS/AA where it must weigh 3415 lbs. (5.50 weight to HP factor X 590 HP +170 lbs. for driver weight). All 3 combinations are legal for Stock and Super Stock. For clarification, here is a link to the NHRA Classification Guide - http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...635&zoneid=132.

They are not allowed to port and polish heads, they can use any gear ratio, and, because they are computer controlled, they are tuned by a laptop just like any other computer controlled Stocker or Super Stocker. If there is anything that you don't understand, send me a Private Message and I will do my best to answer. Also, check out the Classracer.com website which is devoted completely to Stock and Super Stock racing. Many of the great Stock and Super Stock racers are regular contributors along with fans like me. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained on Classracer. If you want to join, it is free and you will be able to post like you do on hear. If you don't want to join, you will be able to read the comments that are made by others. Hope this helps!
Thanks Bill...I figured between you and Carr, I'd find some good info.
Old 04-17-2018

Quote:
so how do COPO owners get them to run near the 7's????
How would you or I do it? Hit the Power Ball and or the Mega Millions!
Old 04-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
How would you or I do it? Hit the Power Ball and or the Mega Millions!
Well, that's the plan...
Old 04-18-2018

Quote:

you can pick up more HP by changing piston,rings and cams... In superstock you can port heads etc....
Old 04-18-2018

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:

Stock and Super Stock cars are classified by shipping weight divided by the NHRA horsepower rating of the engine. Example, if a car has a shipping weight of, say, 3,200 pounds and the NHRA rating of the engine is 320 hp, the car 'breaks' at 10.00. Putting it in E/SA (Stock) or SS/IA (Super Stock). All cars are classified this way, except the SS/Modified classes (they are pounds-per-cubic inch). Cars are also permitted to move up or down one class. So, in my example above, the Stocker can also run D/SA and F/SA; the Super Stocker can also run /HA and /JA. The weight breaks are found here, that I wrote on CP several years ago: http://forum.competitionplus.com/sho...76&postcount=4

Any other questions, feel free to ask
Looking for 2016 S/SS Race Sponsors. Contact Me if interested
Old 04-18-2018

It would appear that beside what might be gained in the engine or transmission that the car could be a place to pick up a lot (if allowed). You can still maintain weight requirements but have it where you want it with drive train components - ring/pinion - axles - shocks - drive shaft - brakes - low (no) drag bearings etc. being able to be changed and weight moved. There has been situations where for instance roll cages might have 3/8 wall tubing in the back half and floors are weighted. Body seams and glass (maybe lighter) placement for stopping air drag can help. Some of this might not be allowed, but it is something to think about. I know for a fact that there are third members available that would make a good down payment on a house and oils / greases that are more costly than 100 year old connoisseur wine.
Old 04-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStocker View Post
you can pick up more HP by changing piston,rings and cams... In superstock you can port heads etc....
Very interesting - so - essentially the biggest difference between Stock and Super Stock is that you can enhance "Stock Cylinder Heads"? But in either class, you have to use the OEM stock head - correct?