CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default NHRA Finals questions

So once again I will be going to the World Finals again in Pomona in a couple weeks however it will be the first time I will go on Friday so I was wondering from you long time Pomona folks how bad is the traffic on Fridays. Im not worried about the race traffic because I am usually there bright and early and usually hang out for an hour or two after racing is done but how is traffic on the I-10E and the surface streets around 7pm friday night?

Also even though I plan on being at the track or at the Dennys down the street by 5 am Friday morning but if I get delayed how bad is the traffic on the I-10W in mornings, I know anytime I drive in or through LA I avoid rush hour at all costs and even though the track is 30-45 mins from downtown I imagine the traffic can be brutal.

Another couple questions is how early do they open the parking lot in the morning, figured if Im there about 5am my buddy and I can cook out until the gates open if they allow grills.....I feel like Ive seen them in the parking lot but cant remember.

Also last question is the musuem open Friday night. This will be my 5th time at Pomona and I have yet to make it to the musuem because it is usually closed by the time racing is done on Saturday/Sunday
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Weinstein View Post
So once again I will be going to the World Finals again in Pomona in a couple weeks however it will be the first time I will go on Friday so I was wondering from you long time Pomona folks how bad is the traffic on Fridays. Im not worried about the race traffic because I am usually there bright and early and usually hang out for an hour or two after racing is done but how is traffic on the I-10E and the surface streets around 7pm friday night?

Also even though I plan on being at the track or at the Dennys down the street by 5 am Friday morning but if I get delayed how bad is the traffic on the I-10W in mornings, I know anytime I drive in or through LA I avoid rush hour at all costs and even though the track is 30-45 mins from downtown I imagine the traffic can be brutal.

Another couple questions is how early do they open the parking lot in the morning, figured if Im there about 5am my buddy and I can cook out until the gates open if they allow grills.....I feel like Ive seen them in the parking lot but cant remember.

Also last question is the musuem open Friday night. This will be my 5th time at Pomona and I have yet to make it to the musuem because it is usually closed by the time racing is done on Saturday/Sunday
Z ---- TEXT me your # tomorrow and I will call you when I can. I've been going for the past 20 years, I can help with all the questions and more, I go all 4 days too so we can meet at some point. Jim 916 622-0749 Anyone else going let's get a group meet going. Would be fun to put some faces to all these names.....
Old 2 Weeks Ago

40 years for me..
Friday afterwards is typical Friday night commute. I stay at Ontario airport so going East is crowded on I10 but bearable.....of course I'm used to the traffic. Friday attendance is typically light.
Saturday and Sunday....much easier.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:

Where will you be staying at? Pomona has a dedicated area in the parking lot for tail gating and they charge a premium to park there. Traffic on the I-10 West on Friday morning can be heavy however East bound is considered going against traffic in the morning, but you never really know. SoCal is pretty much traffic in all directions, all the time anymore. I believe gates open at 7am, but not 100% on that. Pits don't open until 8:30am on Friday according to the NHRA website. The museum is open until 5pm, however they may extend hours on race weekend. I would give them a call.

I grew up in Glendora and have been going to Pomona for 35+ years and never miss it. I moved out of state a few months ago and will be flying into Ontario on Saturday morning to take in the Finals. Can't wait!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:

Take I-10 Flairplex Dr to gate 17, the cheap parking $15 (walk 1/2 mile to entrance) or spend $30 and walk a few hundred feet (this is what I do) you can then have a place for before race refreshments. I have parked as close as 100' to the gate. I order my parking tickets from the Fairplex.com website, print them at home. I usually get there between 7-8 and stay past 8-9 in the evening.
I never buy food at the track, I take stuff to munch on and know enough people I can eat at their pits if I get real hungry.
I sit at the 1000' mark at the very top, there are around 8 of us that have become friends over the years & have a great time. Call if you want to chat. Hope to see you there.
Old 1 Week Ago

So who is going to the Finals? See previous posts if you want to meet. Hope to see you guys there.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbeenracing View Post
Take I-10 Flairplex Dr to gate 17, the cheap parking $15 (walk 1/2 mile to entrance) or spend $30 and walk a few hundred feet (this is what I do) you can then have a place for before race refreshments. I have parked as close as 100' to the gate. I order my parking tickets from the Fairplex.com website, print them at home. I usually get there between 7-8 and stay past 8-9 in the evening.
I never buy food at the track, I take stuff to munch on and know enough people I can eat at their pits if I get real hungry.
I sit at the 1000' mark at the very top, there are around 8 of us that have become friends over the years & have a great time. Call if you want to chat. Hope to see you there.
Thanks for the info on getting parking in advance at fairplex.com. Never knew that was an option. Sometimes when I arrive, pitside is sold out so this should be a way to avoid that.
Old 1 Week Ago

Gonna miss the weekend in Pomona - have to work at WHP
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbeenracing View Post

Never knew you could pre-pay for parking, Ill have to check that out, it will make getting in easier (once last year I forgot cash and had to backtrack) Im sure I have ran into you or sat next to you before, I usually spend the saturday afternoon session and eliminations at the top of the 1000 ft stands.