CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 07-16-2014
Administrator

Default Richard Freeman on the State of Pro Stock...

The class is Broken?

Too Expensive?

"that’s all a crock of s***"

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...d-to-be-broken

----------------------------
Old 07-16-2014

Too many races period, in my opinion
Old 07-16-2014
Super Moderator

“There are low car counts in every class,” Freeman pointed out.

Every class EXCEPT Pro Mod! They've filled to quota every race so far and have already confirmed 30 cars for the US Nationals!!

I think the rest of his comments are relative but I'm not sure who to?? Running an entire season for 1.9 MILLION DOLLARS with an engine you do not own doesn't really seem like a bargain.
Old 07-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
“There are low car counts in every class,” Freeman pointed out.

Every class EXCEPT Pro Mod! They've filled to quota every race so far and have already confirmed 30 cars for the US Nationals!!

I think the rest of his comments are relative but I'm not sure who to?? Running an entire season for 1.9 MILLION DOLLARS with an engine you do not own doesn't really seem like a bargain.
Richard said you can run a whole season including leasing an engine from 1.5 to 1.9 million dollars. In the world of Pro Stock these days, that is a bargain. The only way you will own a top of a line power plant is to build your own. But that's also easier said then done. You can buy an older Pro Stock engine and compete. We are doing exactly that for a couple customers right now.
Nick
Old 07-16-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGNBLDR View Post
Richard said you can run a whole season including leasing an engine from 1.5 to 1.9 million dollars. In the world of Pro Stock these days, that is a bargain. The only way you will own a top of a line power plant is to build your own. But that's also easier said then done. You can buy an older Pro Stock engine and compete. We are doing exactly that for a couple customers right now.
Nick
From what I was told 2-3 years ago you could lease an engine for $50,000 per weekend. (I'm sure that price is most likely higher now.) If you were to times that by 24 races that's 1.2 million, Nick. If those numbers are accurate than we could assume that having an in-house engine program (and all the other stuff you need) is mostly likely 3 million plus. I'm not saying someone can't run used parts, I'm just saying it doesn't look like the numbers floating around about Pro Stock are far off. I feel for the class because that looks pretty tough for ANYBODY to field a car there.
Old 07-16-2014

Quote:
From what I was told 2-3 years ago you could lease an engine for $50,000 per weekend. (I'm sure that price is most likely higher now.) If you were to times that by 24 races that's 1.2 million, Nick. If those numbers are accurate than we could assume that having an in-house engine program (and all the other stuff you need) is mostly likely 3 million plus. I'm not saying someone can't run used parts, I'm just saying it doesn't look like the numbers floating around about Pro Stock are far off. I feel for the class because that looks pretty tough for ANYBODY to field a car there.
In Richards article he said, "While rumors suggest some engine rentals exceeded $100,000 per race, Freeman is adamant a race team could lease a competitive motor program for less than a million dollars to run a 24-race season. "If you wanted to go race three to five times or something like that you can do it for from $35 to $45,000 a race,” Freeman said"

If you take 1 Million and divided it by 24 that falls right in line with what he said. Leasing engines for over 50K a race is just absurd!

Pro Stock isn't for just anybody either. I think we all know that and that's no different than TF or FC. But there is a stigma on the class that make everyone believe that they can't race in it either. Its not an impossible dream but yes it still does take money. You don't have to have your own in-house engine shop to compete in the class.

Nick
Old 07-16-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGNBLDR View Post
In Richards article he said, "While rumors suggest some engine rentals exceeded $100,000 per race, Freeman is adamant a race team could lease a competitive motor program for less than a million dollars to run a 24-race season. "If you wanted to go race three to five times or something like that you can do it for from $35 to $45,000 a race,” Freeman said"

If you take 1 Million and divided it by 24 that falls right in line with what he said. Leasing engines for over 50K a race is just absurd!

Pro Stock isn't for just anybody either. I think we all know that and that's no different than TF or FC. But there is a stigma on the class that make everyone believe that they can't race in it either. Its not an impossible dream but yes it still does take money. You don't have to have your own in-house engine shop to compete in the class.

Nick
I agree, Pro Stock isn't for just anybody. But what I think the class needs is a way to find more racers to join it. I think putting limitations on parts is an idea that could be explored. F1 has limitations on the number of engines and gear boxes a team can use in a season. How many rear end gear sets do you guys carry? Number of trans gears? I hear its A LOT. Would limiting that help with costs? I don't know, just throwing out ideas. But I really think that telling people the cost is doable is not the same as making that a reality. The class needs to attract more people in order to really help it. Like it or not, car count is a real gauge on how a class is doing in a lot of aspects.
Old 07-16-2014

Look at the Summit pro stock team, how many cars do they have. Three for Greg, White, Gray and Maroon.

How many teams have multiple cars that they can change out?
Old 07-16-2014

Quote:
I agree, Pro Stock isn't for just anybody. But what I think the class needs is a way to find more racers to join it. I think putting limitations on parts is an idea that could be explored. F1 has limitations on the number of engines and gear boxes a team can use in a season. How many rear end gear sets do you guys carry? Number of trans gears? I hear its A LOT. Would limiting that help with costs? I don't know, just throwing out ideas. But I really think that telling people the cost is doable is not the same as making that a reality. The class needs to attract more people in order to really help it. Like it or not, car count is a real gauge on how a class is doing in a lot of aspects.
None of us really know what the fix is for the class. Honestly, there isn't really anything to fix. If you start putting certain limitations on engines and parts. Then you have to have someone to police it. NHRA doesn't want to make their jobs any tougher. This class can be affordable if done right. We are kinda the proof of that. We don't have near the money as the top teams do have out there. It takes people and a good direction to keep moving forward.

Nick
Old 07-16-2014

It should be noted that all the talk is to "compete" in Pro Stock. I think when you change compete to win, the price goes up! But really though, I think the last few paragraphs about the winnings vs cost to get there is what shys most people away.

I think the guys like Elite who work hard to make the power have a great deal going. As long as the motor doesn't get hurt during the weekend, to be able to lease out competitive engines allows money to come in and get re-invested in finding even more power! Combine that with winning races and it's not a bad payday.

By the way, hats off to you guys and your hard work Nick. I really do think this is a championship season, and if things continue the way they are, the first of many! Just watch out for ol Jeggie in the countdown... he likes to steal em.'

Tags
elite, freeman, pro stock