CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > Drag Racing Tech

Old 06-06-2013

Question 1/8 vs QM Issue

Hoping for some ideas. Recently installed a 2x4 tunnel ram on my Chevy gasser. (mild pump gas 383 Stroker, 4:86 gears). Made 4 passes at Thompson last weekend (gas pedal broke on fourth pass), and all four passes were at or near 8.2 @ 84 mph. After that, the car fell off to low 13's and gained only another 3-7 mph at the finish. I'm happy with 1/8 times on this motor but I'm obviously suffering after half track. Conversion charts show that the car should be turning around 12.7 @ 110 or maybe better if I can also improve the 1/8 numbers.
Right now we suspect that the Holley mech fuel pump may not be keeping pace with dual carbs, and this is the first time I've run dual carbs. Plan is to switch to an electric pump, but any ideas or suggestions as to whether or not we're on the right track appreciated. (Plugs show no evidence of rich or lean condition, good even color).
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trp2013_0595.jpg (81.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-06-2013

sounds like a lot of gear for a quarter mile car. What rear tire are you using?
Old 06-07-2013

Running 30" Firestone cheaters. .510/.520 cam, Holley 450's on Weiand hi-rise tunnel, Dart Pro 1 heads 2:08/1:60 Ferrea valves 230cc, Milodon gear drive, new Performance Products ignition & plugs, Hooker well headers, TCI Streetfighter TH350 tranny, 9" Ford w/4:86's. Car ran 105 mph on this same combo last summer but with a single Holley 750.
Dave
Old 06-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9185 View Post
Hoping for some ideas. Recently installed a 2x4 tunnel ram on my Chevy gasser. (mild pump gas 383 Stroker, 4:86 gears). Made 4 passes at Thompson last weekend (gas pedal broke on fourth pass), and all four passes were at or near 8.2 @ 84 mph. After that, the car fell off to low 13's and gained only another 3-7 mph at the finish. I'm happy with 1/8 times on this motor but I'm obviously suffering after half track. Conversion charts show that the car should be turning around 12.7 @ 110 or maybe better if I can also improve the 1/8 numbers.
Right now we suspect that the Holley mech fuel pump may not be keeping pace with dual carbs, and this is the first time I've run dual carbs. Plan is to switch to an electric pump, but any ideas or suggestions as to whether or not we're on the right track appreciated. (Plugs show no evidence of rich or lean condition, good even color).
Dave
If your tuning by reading the plugs, don't drive the car back to the pic then check them. If you can, tow the car back to the pit or check them at the end of the track. Of course this is easier with a HEMI than engines with the plugs right next super hot headers!