CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-29-2008
clwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
Yes, Michigan needs one, especially in the Detroit area. My thoughts are based on the NHRR moving back to Bowling Green and the number of dragstrips in Ohio, (14)?
I grew up in the Toledo area, and got my love of drag racing at Milan Dragway ("sunday, sunday, SUNDAY! at Milan Dragway"), with the occasional visit to Norwalk. So I hear you.

But it seems so wrong that Michigan has none. It has a superb super speedway, you would think it could support a world class dragstrip. Hey Connie, you're a native son, are you listening??
Old 01-29-2008
SundayNiagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-1

http://www.vansenusauto.com/dragstri...tate=/State/OH

This site says 14. Not sure of it's accuracy.
Old 01-29-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxexpress
Here is a question. I think that Bruton Smith has, for some time, expressed interest in buying the NHRA. I believe that he was told that it was not for sale. However, all of a sudden, the NHRA announces the HDP sale, which seemed to be for a fairly low amount given the racetracks that were included in the sale. I have no doubt that Bruton could have easily come out with that kind of money for a similar deal and I do not remember anyone saying that he was ever made any kind of offer. Most of us, as I remember, were quite surprised to hear about the potential sale. Am I the only one that thinks that maybe this, from the start, was a crappy deal designed to benefit the Comptons and others in the NHRA management, not the racers themselves? Maybe Bruton was never given an option because they knew he would clean house and they would be the first ones he would remove. As many problems as the NHRA now has, it is possible that the HDP sale could have made things worse. I guess that if the sale doesn't go through, and if after this someone, like Bruton Smith, doesn't come in and complete the purchase, those who like to read between the lines will not where the motives were.
I'm sure you are right about Smith wanting to clean house, as almost anyone buying a company would do the same. But I think the deal with Smith, in a nutshell, boiled down to this. He wanted to buy the whole thing, not just the professional assets and the properties. And reportedly Smith didn't care about the sportsman end of the deal.

I've ran this in my head for a while, and I do think it was a bargain for HDP. But all they are really getting, other than real estate, is the right to market the sport. The "original" NHRA will remain, with a bunch of seed money in the bank. It's actually an interesting concept, and if it works it will be fantastic, and if it doesn't.....don't even want to think about that!

Tags
hd partners, nhra sale