CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 08-08-2014

Default Dago Red TF dragster driven by Gary Reed

Does anyone have an image of the Dago Red TF dragster built by Don Long and driven by Gary Reed? This car was later sold to Eddie Hill and rebranded the Texan. It had a swept-back rear wing that was unique to its day.
Old 08-08-2014

There are a few on the rear engine dragster Facebook page from Indy 84.
Old 08-08-2014

Did a quick google image search and found a few pics, its current resting place, and an interesting tidbit on the great Eddie Hill and the sad story of the current state of his cars today:
Quote:
Here is a picture of the car for those of you that haven’t seen it yet. It a Dave Uhara 288 inch ultra light car that Eddie Hill had built, its new and has never been down the track, it was much too light in construction at the time so it has been sitting at the NX research facility for all these years.

It’s kind of neat in that the front end is suspended by a cable. It’s a 3 piece bolt together car , and Charlie Stewart and myself have talked about back halving it to shorting it another 20 to 25 inches to work with the power level of 1300 hp it will see.

It was built for Top Fuel as in 7000 hp and 6000 foot pounds of torque . its twin went 4.51 @ 325 mph , it will not have a problem with the high 6 second passes it will be making soon

Quote:
WOW , you have the picture of the twin, it was damaged when it split a engine at Dallas , this is the last Nuclear Banana , all have either been sold and crashed , or cut up for tubing . The 4.99 car is at Eddies motor cycle shop in Wichita Falls, the Dago Red car hangs in NX , and one other car is at the NHRA museum or Garlits museum. This car has yet to go down the race track. The 11 inch Chrisman rear end has been replaced with a Chrisman 9.5 inch titanium rear-end, and the wing has been replaced with a CF TAD wing. I do not plan on running the wing, and with the 33 x 15 tires I will have fun again driving. Eddie has been offered the first pass in the car, but I think he is done with drag racing.
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...1&postcount=13

Even though nhra viewership/fan base is in the toilet these days, I have to believe that some of these cars will be worth a lot of money someday and worth saving. Especially the world champ cars, but I bet over half are destroyed...never to be found. Glad to hear that the Dago car is still alive somewhere and Mongoose's 57 Chevy is hidden away in a warehouse... somewhere.

Hey Bobby/Willy, next time any of y'all staff members are in Texas, would be great to hear from Eddie and Ercie again!
Old 08-08-2014

The last time I saw the Dago Red car was at Chino airport in SoCal. It was next to the P51 race airplane! Many years ago!
Old 08-09-2014

Same guy who drove the Dago Red drag boat?
Old 08-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrodsrule View Post
The last time I saw the Dago Red car was at Chino airport in SoCal. It was next to the P51 race airplane! Many years ago!
I have a picture somewhere of that same display at Pomona

Was a very beautiful car and plane...
Old 08-09-2014

I have the unique opportunity to view all three of them, the 4.99 car, Dago Red, and the Hills - all within 10 minutes of here. NX is within walking distance.

Eddie still flies RC aircraft (he's good at it and he has a lot of 'em), Ercie is knee-deep in horse and bullsh**, literally, and in his spare time, Eddie flies around tracks in his Ariel Atom, I've occasionally seen him in a ZR1 Corvette (both the 90's version and the current one), and although it's been a few years since I've seen it, I'm pretty certain he still owns his priceless, original Ford GT40.

We're proud of our homegrown racer.
Old 08-10-2014

It's a neat car, but the story isn't entirely factual. The car that went 4.52 at 323 in Englishtown in '99 was a 300" Murf McKinney car.
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Songas View Post
There are a few on the rear engine dragster Facebook page from Indy 84.
So, I have been trying to find this FB page with no luck, or at least it is not called anything like you suggest.
Old 08-11-2014
Administrator

Found this in a web search....

http://www.contentx.com/dagoredweb/letterfromfrank.html

----------------------------

Tags
dago red, p51 mustang, top fuel