CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 12-21-2007

Default Pay NO attention to this trend

Looks like another MILLION shares of HDP traded hands today. I will not speculate on who might be involved in this. We saw the same thing happen when over 2 million shares traded over a couple of days back in November. Maybe it's because HDP is getting close to finalizing their business with the SEC's requirements? Regardless, someone with deep pockets seems to like the stock. Pay NO attention to this trend. LOL
Old 12-21-2007
gary4205

Could it be Evan, or Bruton?
Old 12-21-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
Could it be Evan, or Bruton?
Well according to Mr. Romanick's article, those large trades in November were made by institutions. Of course he didn't give any specifics.
Curious as to how he knows this, as disclosure filings won't be out until the end of the quarter.
Old 12-21-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy
Well according to Mr. Romanick's article, those large trades in November were made by institutions. Of course he didn't give any specifics.
Curious as to how he knows this, as disclosure filings won't be out until the end of the quarter.
Yeah, that article was long on word, but short on info. Unless he's involved somehow with HD or whoever bought the stock, how WOULD he know? Re-reading the article though, institutional investors are mentioned off hand.

My biggest worry is not about the money end of it, but rather the commitment to the sport. I just hope these guys don't see the NHRA as a way to make a quick buck.
Old 12-21-2007
Administrator

Gary, considering that the corporate principals, and the largest known individual and institutional holders have no drag racing background, and the general emphasis of business on short term earnings, I'd say it's pretty good bet that they are in for a quick buck.
Old 12-21-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy
Gary, considering that the corporate principals, and the largest known individual and institutional holders have no drag racing background, and the general emphasis of business on short term earnings, I'd say it's pretty good bet that they are in for a quick buck.
Willy, I'm afraid your right. Granted, most of NHRA's brass will be on board, but instead of working as a non-profit, it WILL be all about the Benjamins, and I'm not sure they're up for it.
Old 12-21-2007
dragnut8

Hello -- Why else would these guys put up the bucks? For the love of the sport like you and I? I think not.
Old 12-21-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnut8
Hello -- Why else would these guys put up the bucks? For the love of the sport like you and I? I think not.
Yeah, but like I said in another thread, in a different way, why NHRA? If someone just wants to make money, and does that by acquiring another company, it's most usually a for profit deal. And HD was formed to buy another company, not start one.

In this case, HD is both starting a new company, NHRA Pro Racing, and buying a non-profit. Now granted, it's not unprecedented for a new company to be formed out of a buyout, but it's rare to see a non-profit turned into a for profit concern.

But past that, people who buy sports teams are generally big time fans, or ex-players, who dreamed of owning one for years, and finally got the opportunity. Making money with the team is important, but not the main motivation. In fact, making money, for money's sake is the poorest business plan ever thought of, but I digress.

I've tried to find out more on some of the HD principals with no results, and it should worry everyone if it turns out none of these guys have even been to a drag race before they decided on buying NHRA! (which I'm thinking is the case) If these cats aren't ate up with passion for the sport, we are screwed. Period.
Old 12-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
Yeah, but like I said in another thread, in a different way, why NHRA? If someone just wants to make money, and does that by acquiring another company, it's most usually a for profit deal. And HD was formed to buy another company, not start one.

In this case, HD is both starting a new company, NHRA Pro Racing, and buying a non-profit. Now granted, it's not unprecedented for a new company to be formed out of a buyout, but it's rare to see a non-profit turned into a for profit concern.

But past that, people who buy sports teams are generally big time fans, or ex-players, who dreamed of owning one for years, and finally got the opportunity. Making money with the team is important, but not the main motivation. In fact, making money, for money's sake is the poorest business plan ever thought of, but I digress.

I've tried to find out more on some of the HD principals with no results, and it should worry everyone if it turns out none of these guys have even been to a drag race before they decided on buying NHRA! (which I'm thinking is the case) If these cats aren't ate up with passion for the sport, we are screwed. Period.
Nah! They'll just do what every other business does...sell it to someone else. The tracks alone are worth the money they paid for the whole nine yards. Question is who would want it? We all know the answer to that one

Just Pondering.....
Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Old 12-22-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger
Nah! They'll just do what every other business does...sell it to someone else. The tracks alone are worth the money they paid for the whole nine yards. Question is who would want it? We all know the answer to that one
Yup!

Hope it doesn't end up FUBAR before that sale though!

Tags
hd partners, nhra sale