CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-25-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
"With Burk's recent record of being on the wrong side of rumors"

I do believe Burk scooped CP on the Knoll story.
Or did he?

Burk has been wrong on a lot of stuff lately, including getting the name totally wrong, saying Koretsky was quitting!

By the way, in his new "just wondering" editorial, he states flatly: "Did you know that on January 31 the shareholders at HD Partners vote to decide if they will go forward with the purchase of the NHRA’s “Professional Assets”? Don’t worry, though, it is just an SEC-mandated deal. There is no chance the deal won’t be approved."

Now I tend to agree, time will tell.
Old 01-25-2008

Talking Search for the holy grail....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Force
The deal is not dead, there's still a vote. We have a story coming up in an hour or so.
Que up the Monty Python....."I'm not dead yet......"
Old 01-25-2008
Administrator

Default There ya go

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...=5152&Itemid=6
Old 01-26-2008
gary4205

Kind of puts some suspense out there anyway!

The only thing I don't agree is about the looming recession. With 60 straight months of growth, we are not in a recession. The economy is slowing, that's for sure. And it is an election year, so the media is all cheerleading for the bottom to fall out. The new numbers are expected to show continued growth however.

This would be a big mess if the HDP deal falls through. Not all that excited about the deal anyway, but if it goes south, it will not help the sport.
Old 01-26-2008
Administrator

[QUOTE=gary4205]The only thing I don't agree is about the looming recession.QUOTE]

Many respected economists, financial analysts & executives, all without a political axe to grind, would disagree.
Old 01-26-2008

[QUOTE=Willy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
The only thing I don't agree is about the looming recession.QUOTE]

Many respected economists, financial analysts & executives, all without a political axe to grind, would disagree.
Many respected economists, financial analysts & executives, all without a political axe to grind, would AGREE.

That's the thing about those people, they always seem to have an equal split so you never know which story to follow. The media usually picks the side they want to win.

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77
Old 01-26-2008
Administrator

Let me put it this way.
The man that signs my checks, a staunch fiscal conservative, told us that what's happening in the economy at this moment is, "at best, a challenge that could end up being as bad as the early '80's."
So much so that the survival of his business, and that of many of our customers is at stake.
BTW, I, and the company owner, don't get financial information from opinion makers and editorializers on cable TV and talk radio, but business journals which analyze recent economic data and forecasts, as well as what's actually going on in the world.
Old 01-26-2008

Being the dumb old hillbilly i am i will just say my IRAs don't look as strong as they did a few months ago. I'm not too confident in either the FED or the new economic plan to stimulate the economy. I hope i'm wrong and the market takes off again, but they are down quite a bit since October of last year.
Old 01-26-2008
SundayNiagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
Or did he?

Burk has been wrong on a lot of stuff lately, including getting the name totally wrong, saying Koretsky was quitting!

By the way, in his new "just wondering" editorial, he states flatly: "Did you know that on January 31 the shareholders at HD Partners vote to decide if they will go forward with the purchase of the NHRA’s “Professional Assets”? Don’t worry, though, it is just an SEC-mandated deal. There is no chance the deal won’t be approved."

Now I tend to agree, time will tell.
He most definitely did. The story was there first, by a country mile.
Old 01-26-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy
Let me put it this way.
The man that signs my checks, a staunch fiscal conservative, told us that what's happening in the economy at this moment is, "at best, a challenge that could end up being as bad as the early '80's."
So much so that the survival of his business, and that of many of our customers is at stake.
BTW, I, and the company owner, don't get financial information from opinion makers and editorializers on cable TV and talk radio, but business journals which analyze recent economic data and forecasts, as well as what's actually going on in the world.
OK, maybe we are heading t'ward one. The media has certainly been cheerleading for it. At some point, if you say it long enough, as they have, it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

But if you look at the technical definition of recession, we aren't there. We have seen steady economic growth every month for years. To be a real recession, you have to have two consecutive quarters of negative growth. The unemployment numbers have risen, and that may very well indicate a recession is coming. But I can remember when 5 percent unemployment was considered full employment!

What worried me last year was the incredible growth in the stock market. It rose 2000 points. Anything that happened that fast just felt like it could lead to disaster. And yeah, it dropped as quick as it rose, but the markets still ended up showing growth for the year.

Look, I'm just a dumb old boy from Texas, but I think what needs to happen is for everyone to take a breath, slow down and pay attention. Yes, the economy has slowed, but this isn't 1980, or 1987, or 1929 for that matter. This is however an election year, and the rhetoric is flying. Just pay attention to your money and make decisions based on sound economic principals, and not emotion.

Tags
hd partners, nhra sale