Old 08-21-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelfan
Are you related to Larry?
Who's "Larry"????
Old 08-21-2008

Larry Flint?

Yeah, he can market the nhra, thats for sure. Thats all they lacked and all the mentioning of not for profit over the years is the sticking point of the current nhra turning the miles and miles of films, pictures and all into a windfall of cash they can use to hire exceptional people to continue to run the sport. The teams are setting the safety standards, finding the new innovations and are finally to big for their britches and dont think anyone can tell them anything. Hence the nhra mandating pit vehicle news releases instead of telling teams how to run safer. If they get some cash flowing they can take more initiative to pay some people more qualified than their current tech department and start really implementing changes from the management instead of from the teams.
Old 08-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
No way do you want the racers buying NHRA. Every time a racing sanctioning body has been bought by active racers, it went sideways.

Now if a former racer, one that had INCREDIBLE marketing skills as well as managerially expertise, then you might have something. But current racers do not make good owners.

Ask the guys who were part of CART.

NHRA is better off the way it is.
Only the better ones went sideways. The rest went rapidly downhill. The reason is simple. For some reason racers can agree on nothing. I think they would all have a different opinion on what day it is.
Old 08-21-2008

Hi gents. You guys must be eavesdropping. Last night, I was showing The Husband pictures of the new dragstrip. After uttering a "wow," he commented that he wondered how long it would be before Smith purchased NHRA.

Meyer's name has been mentioned as a potential for years but that hasn't appeared.

Racers can't agree on what day it is, and let's not even mention the personality/ego Spend any length of time around a successful racer and not only are they smart, but they have a healthy dose of arrogance mixed in.
Racers operating NHRA = bad.

Maybe NHRA is at a crossroads. It wants to expand to compete in the world of professional motorsports. But inorder to do so, it cannot remain as is. Could that mean two separate entities -- one as a business, one as a non-profit foundation?
Old 08-21-2008

OKAY guys sorry for beating the dead horse,I have been going to DragRaces since I was 6 years old & I'm 39 now,I just get worked up when I read that people cant tell the difference Between 1/4mile & 1/8thmile & that the distance does not matter,it's about who gets there first.So I dont know if any of these people actually been to a drag race or if they been to there first one just recently & dont know much about the sport.
Old 08-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burke
Only the better ones went sideways. The rest went rapidly downhill. The reason is simple. For some reason racers can agree on nothing. I think they would all have a different opinion on what day it is.
Well part of their not agreeing on anything is because they have been given carte blanc to do what they want and eventually the rules are added or changed after the fact. If any regular guy wants to run the nationals, they gotta follow the nhra rules. You ever got rejected at tech because you had four 1/4-20 threaded rods holding down a battery instead of the 2 - 3/8-16 that are in the rule book? So like any entity, they overbearing control what they still have control of and appease what they lost control of to save their show. If you are gonna buy the oldest and bestest drag racing association in the world, you gotta have the top people making the rules and the players playing along not throwing their pissy hissy fits when they get their hands slapped.

I could see a guy like Snake buying it and reviving the true spirit of the sport. That kind of guy loves the sport, respects the heritage and takes **** from nobody.
Old 08-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueray
Pro Stock stealing the Nitro cars thunder? What the hell are you smokin? Put the pipe down! Have you even been to a drag race?
Dude I guess you never been to a National Event & you must only watch the races on TV,ProStock has already stole SOME of the nitrocars thunder,though I know most first timers just want the stands to rattle,But most guys down here that race there cars on a weekly basis @ piedmont,outerbanks,VMP & MIR they all talk prostock whenever a conversation comes up about the NHRA,they NEVER mention the fuelcars but I'm sure they like them BUT prostock is the best right now.However the fuelcars are awesome as well but all the tracks I have been to from atco nj to piedmont dragway in nc,the real gearheads & people that race @ there local tracks all talk prostock more than the fuel classes.Maybe you been sniffing more than nitro.
Old 08-21-2008
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burke
Yup.....!
Old 08-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank369k
Dude I guess you never been to a National Event & you must only watch the races on TV,ProStock has already stole SOME of the nitrocars thunder,though I know most first timers just want the stands to rattle,But most guys down here that race there cars on a weekly basis @ piedmont,outerbanks,VMP & MIR they all talk prostock whenever a conversation comes up about the NHRA,they NEVER mention the fuelcars but I'm sure they like them BUT prostock is the best right now.However the fuelcars are awesome as well but all the tracks I have been to from atco nj to piedmont dragway in nc,the real gearheads & people that race @ there local tracks all talk prostock more than the fuel classes.Maybe you been sniffing more than nitro.
Well you're missing the point that those people are an insignificant amount of people who go to NHRA races.
Old 08-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceyGirl
<SNIP>
Racers can't agree on what day it is, and let's not even mention the personality/ego Spend any length of time around a successful racer and not only are they smart, but they have a healthy dose of arrogance mixed in.
Racers operating NHRA = bad. <SNIP>
I believe this is referred to as the inmates running the asylum.

Just Pondering.....
Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Tags
hd partners, nhra sale