CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 08-09-2018
Super Moderator

Default ARP Question: Mixing Mountains With Molehills

Clever title for this week's question.....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...-the-molehills
Old 08-09-2018

It's quite humorous really. By allowing any manufactures brand motor in any manufacturers car this season and now wanting to allow d-tuned big inch motors in the class they are essentially headed towards making a watered down version of Pro Mod. Why doesn't the NHRA just kill the Pro Stock class and any of the Pro Stock guys that want to continue racing can move over to Pro Mod which is obviously alive and well?
Old 08-10-2018

If a racer can run a DRCE in a Mustang why not just allow him to use some of the older Ford PS engines as well. What could it hurt? I don't think this is NHRA stopping this. It is the well funded DRCE owners.

Come on guys how about it. Let Mad Dog Jr run one of his dad's old Boss 9's. The response will be why would anyone want to run an obsolete Ford engine in Pro Stock. Bigger question is what will it hurt if it's obsolete? There is no excuse not to allow it to run.

Drop the part number bull**** for everybody. Makes more sense than allowing Mountain Motor cars in. Keep it 500" no PN required.
Old 08-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemaster View Post

Drop the part number bull**** for everybody. Makes more sense than allowing Mountain Motor cars in. Keep it 500" no PN required.
Bingo.

Also need a 3rd option on the poll, I don't care. I want to see close doorslammer racing where the driver has a roll in the win. How we get there doesn't matter to me.

I think everyone is forgetting a main factor... Do the MMPS guys even want to run 1/4 mile???? I feel like I saw that the answer was no from a while about about the IHRA/PDRA deal.

Who cares?
Old 08-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
It's quite humorous really. By allowing any manufactures brand motor in any manufacturers car this season and now wanting to allow d-tuned big inch motors in the class they are essentially headed towards making a watered down version of Pro Mod. Why doesn't the NHRA just kill the Pro Stock class and any of the Pro Stock guys that want to continue racing can move over to Pro Mod which is obviously alive and well?
One major reason is because the PM guys do not want to become a full time class. They all do it part time, and like it that way. IF it became a full schedule class, a lot of them would stop racing NHRA PM and go back to the other organizations that run a part time schedule...
Old 08-10-2018

Sorry, but the third option should be NONE OF THE ABOVE. With all the chatter about going to current engines that the car companies actually make today and use in cars they sell today, ignoring it is brilliant, not.
Old 08-10-2018

Serious question here - how many "Mountain Motor" Pro Stock Cars are there that can show up to an NHRA National Event - and where are they located? If the majority of them are Southern or Eastern US-based - it's likely going to limit the possible events they attend - as I don't see many of them touring the circuit.
Old 08-10-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post
Serious question here - how many "Mountain Motor" Pro Stock Cars are there that can show up to an NHRA National Event - and where are they located? If the majority of them are Southern or Eastern US-based - it's likely going to limit the possible events they attend - as I don't see many of them touring the circuit.
I'd say there are about 17-18 out there but really only 10 that race multiple events. While location is a valid question I think this really isn't about a quick fix that will bring in another say 8 cars for 24 races. This is about opening up a class to the possibility of more participation. That means you could see more cars at some of the events but not all. That's a far better situation than the possibility of NO new entrants at ANY of the races.

This really should be looked at as a possible way to build up a class over the next several years. Kind of like a "building year" for a football team who has lost its senior veteran players to graduation. I would say if the class saw 3-5 new cars at say 10 events the first year, it should be considered a successful decision.
Old 08-10-2018

This isnít what you guys want so nobody better sugar coat it what so ever at this point. Yes there are people speculating a 5-6 car increase. Not just calling you guys and gals out on here I have heard and been told that else where as well. But what about ones you lose from this or possibly lose cause Iím at the very top of that list.
Old 08-10-2018

Neither answer supplied is anywhere near how I would answer the question.