CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-09-2018

Default Co-Crew Chiefs

One question I have always wondered is how does the whole co-crew chief idea work. I think back to Austin Coil/Bernie Fedderly, Tim & Kim Richards in the 90's-2000's to recently with Mark Oswald/Brian Corradi and Phil Shuler & Todd Okahara it seems like it would take a great tandom and trust in each other to make it work. While others like Dick LaHaie, Jimmy Prock, Jim Oberhofer, Mike Green seem to make it work being solely in charge of the combination.

With how complicated the setups are I would imagine having too many hands in the setup would not work and egos and or stubborness would take over but how do the tandems work with each other? Plus the added cost of six figures in having a second crew chief inflates an already large budget on a fuel car.

Do they bounce ideas off each other? Does one crew chief focus on timing while one focus on clutch setup? Do they work as a check and balance with each other with the other crew chief kind of like a final set of eyes on the combination? It is a question I have always wondered
Old 01-10-2018

I almost think its more for the teams protection since one guy cant leave to go to the dark side (either dark side) and leave a team stranded anymore. I am pretty sure they are both taking big dollars.
Old 01-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Weinstein View Post
One question I have always wondered is how does the whole co-crew chief idea work. I think back to Austin Coil/Bernie Fedderly, Tim & Kim Richards in the 90's-2000's to recently with Mark Oswald/Brian Corradi and Phil Shuler & Todd Okahara it seems like it would take a great tandom and trust in each other to make it work. While others like Dick LaHaie, Jimmy Prock, Jim Oberhofer, Mike Green seem to make it work being solely in charge of the combination.

With how complicated the setups are I would imagine having too many hands in the setup would not work and egos and or stubborness would take over but how do the tandems work with each other? Plus the added cost of six figures in having a second crew chief inflates an already large budget on a fuel car.

Do they bounce ideas off each other? Does one crew chief focus on timing while one focus on clutch setup? Do they work as a check and balance with each other with the other crew chief kind of like a final set of eyes on the combination? It is a question I have always wondered
Actually - almost all cars have a Duo up front. They can call it Co-CC's or a Crew Chief & a Car Chief which is pretty much semantics and yes they have different responsibilities and expertise. If there is an Ego or stubbornness problem it won't last very long anyhow. In the case of Coil & Bernie - Coil was basically the Tuner & Bernie Made sure the i's were dotted and the t's were crossed. Bernie was an organizer in charge of personnel - operations and equipment as well as the record keeper. With Co-Crew Chiefs the expertise is in different areas and the one with the expertise in a given area takes the lead but of course they brain storm when necessary. In today's world one guy can't cover all the bases and two doing exactly the same thing can't get it all done either. When you sometimes have to search your data base for conditions that match what is happening right now and then make tuning - clutch - tire - car changes in less than an hour as well as making sure that "Stuff" doesn't fall off or go "Tapioca" you need leaders with different areas of responsibility.
Old 01-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
Actually - almost all cars have a Duo up front. They can call it Co-CC's or a Crew Chief & a Car Chief which is pretty much semantics and yes they have different responsibilities and expertise. If there is an Ego or stubbornness problem it won't last very long anyhow. In the case of Coil & Bernie - Coil was basically the Tuner & Bernie Made sure the i's were dotted and the t's were crossed. Bernie was an organizer in charge of personnel - operations and equipment as well as the record keeper. With Co-Crew Chiefs the expertise is in different areas and the one with the expertise in a given area takes the lead but of course they brain storm when necessary. In today's world one guy can't cover all the bases and two doing exactly the same thing can't get it all done either. When you sometimes have to search your data base for conditions that match what is happening right now and then make tuning - clutch - tire - car changes in less than an hour as well as making sure that "Stuff" doesn't fall off or go "Tapioca" you need leaders with different areas of responsibility.
Roger, as usual, nails it. The "car chief" title is probably not used as much as maybe it's not as ego satisfying or just the car owner wants to make sure title / compensation are matched up. As Roger says, there's too much going on in a fuel car, especially, to make sure all is OK in 55 minutes. Keeping all the nuts and bolts tightened, using the heads and blower setups that the tuner wants is a huge deal. Downloading and evaluating the last run(s), looking at similar track history conditions, etc....takes time. Those successful teams mentioned are historic in their performances. I'm close to one organization I hope makes this transition this year.