CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-02-2018
Administrator

Default Richard Freeman: "Time to Get Positive About Pro Stock"

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...bout-pro-stock

Interesting bit of news within this.....

In an unpublished adjustment to the purse, NHRA reportedly took $1,000 per round won and the winner, instead of getting the standard $25,000 has been reduced to $20,000. The money taken away is said to be going into the Top Fuel purse to fund the 17th and 18th entries.

----------------------------
Old 01-02-2018

I thought that was quite interesting. I can't remember the last time the purse saw an increase in the pro series. It seems like the Coca-Cola company is willing to throw "x" dollars at the NHRA and they just shuffle it where they can. Maybe they have asked and been told no, but a good start would be for the NHRA to try to get more. Then again NASCAR took a huge pay cut with Monster coming on board as title sponsor and Monster hasn't even re-signed for 2018 yet. I know it isn't coming back but it is a far cry from the Winston days where they kept throwing more and more money at the program with the purse increases and per race incentives. Heck there used to be an entire national event for money only. Budweiser used to pay a lot of money if you were the #1 qualifier. Slick 50 would give you cash for a holeshot win. MBNA would pay out if you set a national record. All of that just quietly went away.

Mr. Freeman is right that the bottom line is always going to be money. If there is less coming in, you have to find a way to have less going out. Or in his case, another avenue to make money with his sales and leasing program. I wonder what it would cost to rent a ride turn key - just write a check and show up and race for one national event with them providing the car, engine, whole thing.
Old 01-02-2018

It bothers me that I’ve turned so negative about the chances of Pro Stock ever returning to the importance it held for me during its first 20 years.

Thinking about it on New Year’s Day got me to putting my thoughts down. With Richard Freeman’s revelation today that some of the Pro Stock payout is being moved to T/F tells me NHRA isn’t waiting any longer. NHRA wants Pro Stock to either become a “pay to play” like Pro Mod or prove that they can fill up the stands with people buying tickets to see Pro Stock. T/F and F/C (nitro) sells tickets.

I tried to put myself in the shoes of each person with a invested interest in Pro Stock and what their needs would be.
Do you agree with any of my assessment?

If I were a current Pro Stock:

Team Owner, I would throw an absolute fit if NHRA or anyone tried to reduce the classes prestige, TV time, class marketing, payout or do anything to make the stuff I’ve bought to run this class obsolete including changing rules to make others in the class more competitive.

Driver, I would push for more marketing of the class with more air time on TV while keeping current rules and the way the class is run so my driver’s skill set had an advantage over anyone new.

Paid Crewman, I would want the rules to only change when it would increase demand and therefore value of my special Pro Stock skill set.

Car Builder, I would want rule and body changes every few years that mandated new full tube chassis race cars be purchased by every racer in the class. Very specific changes that only the few current Pro Stock chassis builders would have the experience and expertise to be instantly competitive on the track.

Sponsor, I would want more TV time, a guarantee that there wouldn’t be any reduction in marketing of the class in any way or even an increase in marketing of any other class. I would want the public perception to be that Pro Stock is of very high value to all automotive enthusiasts.

Fan, (The fans are currently so varied I can’t come to a fan consensus on Pro Stock.) Some fans want it to return to the 1990’s era, others want the `1970’s, some want it just like it is, some even want carbs and scoops back. Some fans hate the lump shaped bodies with sticker headlights, some hate the any “approved” motor in any car. Some fans want an immediately switch to FS/XX bodies keeping today’s 500 cu in FI motors. Some fans want the current FS/XX Copo’s, Drag Paks and Cobra Jets to immediately replace Pro Stock. Aaauughh!!

NHRA wants many more happy paid fans, more happy paid advertisers, more happy car owners, drivers and crews, a better NHRA bottom line because of Pro Stock and NHRA doesn’t want a P/S Truck style law suit.

Conclusion: Nuts! Just Nuts!
Old 01-02-2018

This was partially yet another commercial for Elite.

Freeman contradicts himself a few times here.

NHRA pulling money from the class is another deliberate attempt at killing the class. It's no different than when a political party gains full control of DC and starts yanking funding from a popular program the pervious opposing party passed. They start plucking spokes out of the wheel then stand back and say "see we told you that wheel was junk!" when it finally does collapse.
Old 01-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post
I thought that was quite interesting. I can't remember the last time the purse saw an increase in the pro series. It seems like the Coca-Cola company is willing to throw "x" dollars at the NHRA and they just shuffle it where they can. Maybe they have asked and been told no, but a good start would be for the NHRA to try to get more. Then again NASCAR took a huge pay cut with Monster coming on board as title sponsor and Monster hasn't even re-signed for 2018 yet. I know it isn't coming back but it is a far cry from the Winston days where they kept throwing more and more money at the program with the purse increases and per race incentives. Heck there used to be an entire national event for money only. Budweiser used to pay a lot of money if you were the #1 qualifier. Slick 50 would give you cash for a holeshot win. MBNA would pay out if you set a national record. All of that just quietly went away.
It went away because the professional business people who spent their companies money didn't see enough of a return on their investment to keep doing it. If they had seen financial value in continuing to invest with NHRA, they would have continued to do so. It is good business to keep doing what works and equally good business to stop doing what doesn't.
Nuts! Just Nuts!
Old 01-02-2018
Super Moderator

I think he's right about one thing. The negativity has to be stopped or at least turned around some.

BUT I think the "you don't have to do anything but show up with your wallet and we'll give a car and engine" approach is sadly mistaken. Especially, for this class that has a history (as he even stated) of people who do the work themselves. I think engine leasing can play a part but it should not be the operating basis for an entire class. You won't get new racers who will last with real longevity in the class by doing it that way, I can promise you that.

They don't have a bigger purse at this time but they rejected shortening up their season!?! You can't have your cake and eat it too. He cites Pro Mod engine cost but fails to acknowledge that the PM guys are not attempting to run a 24 race season every year.

I think its great that Freeman speaks out and up for his class as others have done. They need to keep the conversation open, so that's a good thing here.
Old 01-02-2018

One thing extra about the class, at least for me, is the lack of performance gains. I understand the slate got wiped clean with the move to EFI. However the ET record is going on 3 years old and the speed record is going on 4 years old. I don't see them being broken anytime soon. The ET record has never gone 2 years without being reset and the former longest gap in the speed record was a little over 3 years between Indy 1987 and Dallas 1990.

That could be part of the problem. The performance is ho-hum. Oh another 6.624... cool.
Old 01-02-2018

Default Pro Stock Salvation

First, I think Pro Stock should be allowed to run carbs or FI not just one. Secondly, I disagree with the rule to allow any engine in any body, this is just helping to kill the class. They should have done what they did in years past, to give weight adjustments to each of the engine types which would allow fans to see their engines in the right cars and this in turn would give the dealerships some pride in their cars helping to promote some divisions to help develop their brand instead of killing certain brands. Just my two cents! I've been around drag racing since the 1950's and Pro Stock has always been my class to enjoy and I don't want it to go by the wayside. These teams probably have more engineering ability then just about any of the classes.
Old 01-02-2018

All the good one's are GONE.
Old 01-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post
One thing extra about the class, at least for me, is the lack of performance gains. I understand the slate got wiped clean with the move to EFI. However the ET record is going on 3 years old and the speed record is going on 4 years old. I don't see them being broken anytime soon. The ET record has never gone 2 years without being reset and the former longest gap in the speed record was a little over 3 years between Indy 1987 and Dallas 1990.

That could be part of the problem. The performance is ho-hum. Oh another 6.624... cool.
The real difference is in 1 word of this statement - EFI needs to be changed to RPM Limiter. "I understand the slate got wiped clean with the move to EFI". Had the changes instead been any EFI and no Governor (max RPM limit) no matter what hood they use these things would be both faster and quicker, but the current car configuration would probably be literally flying and the field would be even shorter because those who could not spend what it takes to be a player for R&D would have to park their stuff or count on being 1st round "Runner Up". Changing to EFI did not curb performance - making an engine combination that produces the same power by limiting them to 85% of the RPM they had before is a big task for any method of induction, much less saying "You will now go to EFI - But the EFI you are going to use will be like comparing a Stromberg 97 to a 1350 CFM Dominator. Even the factories have figured out how to get a more efficient EFI system in the last 30 years so I'm pretty sure that heads up racers could make that same Carburetor analogy work to EFI. Another thing is after these things started getting loose so much I believe that they got a rule change to add down force which surely raises drag and does not lend itself to speed or better ET's. Add that to shorter wheelie bars that changes weight balance not only on launch but farther down the track and now you have the perfect recipe for not going faster or quicker.