CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-03-2018

Default 2 Day Event Poll

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...-only-two-days

My vote: Yes. We’ll sort of... IMO the Pro show should only be competed for two days.

Friday: 3 Pro sessions from, let’s just say something like 2pm to 8pm.
Saturday: Start Sportsman qualifying. Lead into Pro eliminations with Sportsman filling in between until their qualifying is done. Pro’s done Saturday.
Sunday: Sportsman eliminations.
Old 01-03-2018
Administrator

I've become partial to two day events, with my preference Friday and Saturday.

By the way.... here is the Bonkowski article that prompted the poll.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/201...ohn-force-era/

----------------------------
Old 01-03-2018

I voted no, but I do think if the pro's run on Friday it should not be for qualifying. Friday testing could lead to a closer show during eliminations and still give those who want to see the pro's run something to see.
Old 01-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I've become partial to two day events, with my preference Friday and Saturday.
I totally agree. If you wanted to separate NHRA Sportsman events from the Pro event then just have the local bracket style programs as filler and a two day event is definitely the way to go. My thought was if there were to still be NHRA Sportsman at the same event keep them to a Saturday/Sunday schedule to help with work schedules and $$$.

Side note, I just watched the latest episode of Street Outlaws, which is ‘supposed’ to be the new big popular thing. $100k payout, 32 car field, one day event at Bristol. Place was packed! But... by the final round it was a ghost town.
Old 01-03-2018

I vote yes, why do we need four qualifying runs in the nitro class. So they can smoke the tires
Old 01-03-2018

4 qualifying sessions are a carryover from years past, when there were many more than 16 cars attempting to qualify.
Old 01-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddyhahn View Post
I vote yes, why do we need four qualifying runs in the nitro class. So they can smoke the tires
Why not, It's $40,000 out of their budget every race for qualifying. J.K. What about Saturday and Sunday or Friday (which most people work) and Saturday and have Sunday to watch football?

Last edited by Willy; 01-07-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: remove political statement
Old 01-03-2018

The shorter the better for me. Traveling to events is too hard where I'm am located
Old 01-03-2018

I can see three attempts to qualify in the nitro classes
Old 01-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintownterror View Post
Side note, I just watched the latest episode of Street Outlaws, which is ‘supposed’ to be the new big popular thing. $100k payout, 32 car field, one day event at Bristol. Place was packed! But... by the final round it was a ghost town.
I heard that the Street Outlaws "Bristol" Event was held on a Tuesday after the weekends NASCAR event at Bristol. As you said, the stands looked absolutely packed to the seams and this was in the middle of the week. I also noticed the stands had emptied quite a bit by the final round, but I am guessing that the event (Made for TV) ran very, very long. And with no filler in between rounds, and the late hour, fans finally had enough and had to head home. This is just my assumption, as I was not there.

The one thing that the Street Outlaws "Bristol" show did indicate to me is that this type of no prep grudge racing is very popular. I'm not sure how the NHRA could incorporate this style of racing into a national event, but I'd guess it could really help draw in some fans that otherwise may not attend.

That all being said, I also like the idea of a two day event. I'd run three rounds of qualifying on Saturday, with the third round being after dark and wrap up Friday night with a concert in the pits.

Sunday of course would include all rounds of racing and close the event by 4pm.

I'd include the following classes at NHRA National Events:

- Top Fuel
- Funny Car
- Pro Mod
- TF Harley
- Top Alcohol Dragster
- Top Alcohol Funny Car
- Grudge racing like Street Outlaws
- And through in a few exhibition cars like jet cars, wheel standers and fuel altered.

As much as NHRA Championship Drag Racing is a sport with a ton of heritage, it is also entertainment and needs to be treated as such. I love the history of the sport, (been a huge fan for 40 years) but most fans, especially younger generations don't care about the history of the sport. They don't care that it's the 50th anniversary of this that or the other. What I'm saying is that the NHRA needs to get off of all of the historical stuff and look toward the future. In today's world with all of the electronic gadgets and attention deficit, the NHRA needs to figure out how to keep its fans entertained every second from the time they enter the gate to the end of the event. Tough thing to do now days and this is why we see so many empty seats towards the end of a 6+ hour race day.