CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 1 Week Ago

Four qualifying laps significantly helps the bucks up, multi-car teams. The chances of them screwing up four laps is significantly less than their chance of screwing up three laps. Robert Hight would not be World Champ if there had only been three qualifying laps at Pomona.

The lessor funded teams quite often skip the first one on Friday as the track isnít tight, the air is bad and even if they laid down a good lap, it typically would be at the bottom of the qualifying sheet by Saturdayís 4 qualifier where they could be bumped out by the big buck team thatís given one more chance to qualify or at least get in the top 8 for lane choice bumping the little guy down.

JFR, DSR and CKR wouldnít want their chances of qualifying reduced to save a few thousand. Itís much more important to them that they know everything they can about how to get lane choice and win the Wally. It would increase the chances of a low buck or single car team beating them on Sunday due to them not getting another shot at lane choice.

From NHRAís standpoint, do they offend their big teams by reducing qualifying by a round, but significantly reduce expenses of the little guys while leveling the playing field by giving the little guy a better chance of making the field or top half of the ladder.

NHRA would only reduce their expenses a little by eliminating Fridayís first round for the nitro cars but they would be making the Alky cars and Pro Mods bigger stars on Friday. I doubt it would hurt Friday ticket sales too much as there is still some smoke and thunder from the nitro cars under the lights with all of the other classes making passes.

So who is in charge here? NHRA or JFR, CKR and DSR.
Old 1 Week Ago

Default tom slick

do you have a other half by the name of sister sally?
Old 1 Week Ago

I'm perfectly fine with the thought of a 2 day show but I think you have to have 3 sessions of qualifying with 1 of those sessions slated to be at night. However, I wonder the effects on costs for fans. With there being essentially 1 fewer day of dollars rolling into pockets, I'm sure we would see increases in the price of tickets, parking, concessions, etc. and I don't know if the sport would be able to survive that in its current state.
Old 1 Week Ago

Less is not more.
Old 1 Week Ago

I said it before do you like paying big money for less action at NFL, NBA and NHL games. I donít mind paying what the ask at NHRA events cause I follow more than one class
Old 1 Week Ago

Reducing to two days would:

Decrease ticket sales and gross revenue for NHRA, track owners and all the vendors. I think Fridays bring in a LOT more money than a lot of people here think.

Raise Sat. & Sun. ticket pricing to make up for lost revenue.

Devalue the sport. It would create the perception that things aren't well despite numerous event sellouts.

Give sponsors less exposure, or at least give them an opportunity to say so and decrease how much they're willing to pay.

Decrease win purses because of said loss of revenue from both ticket sales and a reduction of sponsorship money.

Lower the sales of all related parts supliers which may lead to employee layoffs.

Most likely decrease crew salaries.

Then there's all the unknown unintentional consequences.

Racers already have the opportunity to run as few Q passes they want.

Yeah, it may increase racer entries but we don't now that for sure. But it's become apparent short fields aren't keeping fans from showing up to events.

Less is not more. Just because you may not be able to attend Fridays at events, doesn't mean they shouldn't be run.
Old 1 Week Ago

NHRA drag racing isn’t remotely as popular or profitable as the NFL, NBA or MLB. But NHRA shoots itself in the foot by doing something those very successful stick and ball promoters don’t do. NHRA dilutes its prime product during prime time. NHRA’s prime product is their loud, 330 mph, nitro burning, ground pounding, horizontal manned rockets. They are why spectators pay the big bucks.

Major League Baseball doesn’t have 8 or more high school and college teams sitting around the stadium for three days while they crown a winner for each group. MLB doesn’t start Friday with warm-ups for the high school teams, then put the various college warm-ups on their stage, then a couple of Double A pro league teams take the field before finally bringing out their major league teams for their the warm-ups. MLB doesn’t try to make their crowd come back Saturday for high school games, first round of college and AA league games before the MLB pro team warm-ups end the day.

If the World Series Game is on Sunday, they don’t dilute the action by putting the high school championship game’s first inning on the field and then play the college team and AA league teams first innings before finally brining on the Pro Teams first inning. MLB doesn’t rotate the four different games on and off the field for the rest of the day.

If you gave me free tickets to an MLB mess like that, I wouldn’t stay till the end. But how much do they charge for a World Series Game ticket? Is the MLB making money?

NHRA doesn’t need to throw Pro Stock, FS/XX, Alky Funny Car or any other class away. But they don’t need to subsidize the classes or give them the stage during prime time either. They make Pro Mod pay-to-play and don’t put them on the stage during prime time either. The MLB teams “earned the right” to prime time.

But pay-to-play eliminator or not, all those extra eliminators lengthen the day to where the majority of the fans are either bored or worn out and go home before the nitro finals get on the stage.

How many of you watch the trophy presentation after a World Series final game? Or watch the trophy presentation after the Super Bowl? Its fun and interesting as the announcers and the game itself have kept us interested enough that we want to see it to the end. It’s worth our time. It says a lot about NHRA’s program of eliminations when the crowd doesn’t even stay to see who wins the main event. Had I suffered through the rotation of a high school game, college game, AA league game so I could see the MLB game, I wouldn’t be around for the post game show either.

How does NHRA fix it? Their last two days should only focus on the number of eliminators that would keep us entertained and yet hungry for more and not so bored/tired that anyone leaves early.
NHRA gets to pick who those pro classes are. My thoughts are that Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Mod, Top Alky F/C, Top Alky Dragsters, Nitro Harley and either Pro Stock or FS/XX would be plenty.

All the other classes can still run on Thursday and Friday if they self support. Maybe bring back their final round for Sunday but no other rounds.
If a spectator wants to walk the pits and see Comp cars or Super Stock cars, they need to buy a Thursday or Friday ticket.

Is a World Series ticket worth hundreds of $$ if you have to watch high school and college games intertwined with the MLB game? You give value when you give concise entertainment and eliminate anything that dilutes the program. The nitro cars are the reason the stands fill up and need to be the focus.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Reducing to two days would:

Decrease ticket sales and gross revenue for NHRA, track owners and all the vendors. I think Fridays bring in a LOT more money than a lot of people here think.

Raise Sat. & Sun. ticket pricing to make up for lost revenue.

Devalue the sport. It would create the perception that things aren't well despite numerous event sellouts.

Give sponsors less exposure, or at least give them an opportunity to say so and decrease how much they're willing to pay.

Decrease win purses because of said loss of revenue from both ticket sales and a reduction of sponsorship money.

Lower the sales of all related parts supliers which may lead to employee layoffs.

Most likely decrease crew salaries.

Then there's all the unknown unintentional consequences.

Racers already have the opportunity to run as few Q passes they want.

Yeah, it may increase racer entries but we don't now that for sure. But it's become apparent short fields aren't keeping fans from showing up to events.

Less is not more. Just because you may not be able to attend Fridays at events, doesn't mean they shouldn't be run.

I don’t believe that. If they went to two day events I would at least double the amount I attend per year. If I only had to take a half day or whole day off on Friday from work and only get a hotel room or camp for Friday night and be home on Sunday that would be awesome!
Old 1 Week Ago

Here here some of us arenít retired yet and have to work. Itís too long for a drag racing event
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

So far is a virtual tie...

----------------------------