CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-03-2018

Default Best Drag Strip Promoters?

This could be a fun one. Whatever era, who ya got? Multiple answers ok.

Here are some of my choices.

*C.J. "Pappy"Hart**
*Mickey Thompson*
*Ben Christ*
*Bader Family*
*The Napps*
*Bill Doner*
*Steve Evans*
*Mike Jones*
*Harry Hibler*

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer-Home of this weekends Ice Bowl.
Old 01-03-2018

I don’t think you can really choose “The Best” as they all had very different challenges to overcome and a lot of “racing luck” enters into their success or failure as well.

Many good promoters get wiped out by the weather, fluke competition in their market area and just bad luck. Also some poor promoters become very successful purely due to the luck of location, community support, good weather, etc. Good fortune that may not be there for someone else that’s truly a better promoter.

With that said, there are many, many good promoters to add to your list and here's a few I could quickly think of: Rockingham’s Steve Earwood, Orlando’s Carl Weisinger, Tulsa’s Gerald Pritchett, Green Valley Texas’s Bill Helsher, Dragway 42 and Thompson Dragway’s George Eisenhart and then Aaron Polburn, Cordova’s Scott Gardner and there are many more.

Ps. The long time promoter in Spokane, Orville Moe maybe went a little too far afield to stay on the this list… but I will always remember him from the rattlesnake he caged with a grey field mouse in the basement of his tower during the 1977 AHRA World Finals at Spokane.

Seems the young rattlesnake was as scared of the mouse as the mouse was of the rattlesnake. Both just stayed in their corner of the cage and stared at the other. After about 3 days the snake got hungry enough to overcome his fears and had lunch. Guess Orville also misses this list because he didn’t charge admission to watch that act…
Old 01-04-2018
Administrator

There is only One.

"Broadway" Bob Metzler.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/b...al-dead-at-83/

And this from one of those that knew him best....

https://bangshift.com/general-news/g...were-all-true/

----------------------------
Old 01-04-2018

royce miler and son at maryland international raceway. did anybody else draw more people to nhra points races than him?he was not scared to market on urban radio either like too many tracks are I am looking at you, st louis gateway.Those Monday and weds night pro stock and pro mod shows were great at MIR in the summertime. every newbie i took to the events the millers put on had a blast
Old 01-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
royce miler and son at maryland international raceway. did anybody else draw more people to nhra points races than him?he was not scared to market on urban radio either like too many tracks are I am looking at you, st louis gateway.Those Monday and weds night pro stock and pro mod shows were great at MIR in the summertime. every newbie i took to the events the millers put on had a blast
The Miller Family came to mind for me as well.

Considering where that track is located, it shouldn't be successful.

Who cares?
Old 01-04-2018

In today's world it's DONALD LONG: Duck X. When he promotes a show They SELL-OUT Period. The guy is a marketing Genius. Mike Drop.
Old 01-04-2018

Default draw

Nobody will outdraw Bill Baders points race where he packed the house and a turn away crowd -and that place is huge
Old 01-04-2018

Default draw

Broadway Bob -Honda drop-and the beer garden!!!
Old 01-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer12306 View Post
The Miller Family came to mind for me as well.

Considering where that track is located, it shouldn't be successful.
Why do you say that? I used to live 1/2 mile South of the track and still go there, its not like its a troubled area.
Old 01-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
Royce and Jason did not start the U.S. Pro Stock open or Mountain Motor Nationals, Todd Mack and Larry Clayton did. They also had the NHRA points races and was the first with 4 lanes with 2 functional christmas trees back in the 70's. When Royce came in (late 80's) he carried the tradition but switched the track from NHRA to IHRA in 90 or 91.