CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~~IKE~~~ View Post
Royce and Jason did not start the U.S. Pro Stock open or Mountain Motor Nationals, Todd Mack and Larry Clayton did. They also had the NHRA points races and was the first with 4 lanes with 2 functional christmas trees back in the 70's. When Royce came in (late 80's) he carried the tradition but switched the track from NHRA to IHRA in 90 or 91.

I never said that, I just said I loved going there and to fill that place in the summertime in the Baltimore -Washington area on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon for an NHRA points race without nitro or fireworks deserves kudos.
Old 01-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
I never said that, I just said I loved going there and to fill that place in the summertime in the Baltimore -Washington area on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon for an NHRA points race without nitro or fireworks deserves kudos.
I still don't get this when Royce and Jayson took over they switched over to IHRA for whatever reason? Where do you get the NHRA stats from. Tod Mack owned and ran the track when they were NHRA. I know I used to work there.
Old 01-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
the million stops lights on 301 is the killer but i had great times there.
You ever been to Etown or Maple Grove they are even worst. At least MDIR is off a major roadway but they dont get NHRA traffic either.
Old 01-11-2018

Jim Halsey, Cecil County Dragway, Has probably the Best Independent racing series in the Country, once a month from april to october Heads up 1st to the finish line. (I know 1/8Th mile) Big payout, strange sponsorship and has room for sportsman bracket racers also. The event is well run and Jim keeps the program going.

I would also say most competitors are under 45 years of age which is good for the future of the program.

Promods and top sportsmen at some of these events also.

I go to bracket race and also see some fast cars heads up.

Honorable mention to Jason Miller for The World Cup Finals, Import versus domestic event that is amazing and Donald Long for his races at South Georgia.

events are almost always sellouts
Old 01-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognelson77 View Post
Jim Halsey, Cecil County Dragway, Has probably the Best Independent racing series in the Country, once a month from april to october Heads up 1st to the finish line. (I know 1/8Th mile) Big payout, strange sponsorship and has room for sportsman bracket racers also. The event is well run and Jim keeps the program going.

I would also say most competitors are under 45 years of age which is good for the future of the program.

Promods and top sportsmen at some of these events also.

I go to bracket race and also see some fast cars heads up.

Honorable mention to Jason Miller for The World Cup Finals, Import versus domestic event that is amazing and Donald Long for his races at South Georgia.

events are almost always sellouts
I forget about that series, and the place is 10 min from my house. But Halsey sure packs them in for those events.

Pretty sure about every other one features pro mods too.

Who cares?
Old 01-11-2018

Quote:
You ever been to Etown or Maple Grove they are even worst. At least MDIR is off a major roadway but they dont get NHRA traffic either.
Do not get what you mean about Maple grove which is about 5 miles from PA turnpike and etown which is about 10 miles from NJ turnpike

And 301 thru waldorf area, almost always sit in traffic there.

So to me they are all about the same.
Old 01-11-2018

Raceway Park is a nightmare to get into going thru the town of Englishtown unless you know the back roads. BTW if you are going thru E-town, Seat Belts on and No Cellphones! They have cops staged at the traffic lights waving you over for a ticket! That's most likely the traffic jam.
Old 01-12-2018

Pappy put on and ran just great events at Lions that brought in the best week after week, put buns in the seats, and had a unreal venue with a location that was incredible, Lions. CJ was one of the firsts to send out mailers promoting races.

Mickey Thompson did a whale of a job at Lions before Pappy as well, having great shows and that live broadcast on KTTV. He then put on some smokin' shows at Fontana. History proves that.

Ben Christ, among many venues his best work may have been with those well promoted and heavily attended shows at US 30.

Steve Evans, from Fremont to Lions, that man was awesome in his own right to have great shows.

Mike Jones and the group at Orange County came up with some ground breaking promotions such as the Manufacturers Race, All Pro Series, Bug-IN, Wheel stander Championships, Hang 10, and the Nitro Championships.

Harry Hiblers job at San Fernando was something as well, with time and sound restrictions, he ran some great Sunday shows with big names and great crowds.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer
Old 01-13-2018

Quote:
I have been to Maple Grove and E-town, houston is a major hassle too,but I stand by my post. 301 is a mother!
Old 01-13-2018

Quote:
I still don't get this when Royce and Jayson took over they switched over to IHRA for whatever reason? Where do you get the NHRA stats from. Tod Mack owned and ran the track when they were NHRA. I know I used to work there.
Ike the last NHRA points race I went to at MIR, Tony Bartone was still driving the New York Paving S/C Camaro, the late Vinston Holmes was there racing in Comp with Cleo Spears and remember Vinnie Barone chopping it up with Vinston, Cleo and their third partner in the pits. I clearly remember it was a packed house until the rain came later that day.