CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-10-2017
GolfRacer GolfRacer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 559
Default Newbies at NHRA race: Sonoma

Every year I host a bunch of people at the Sonoma race. Many are veterans and each year I get some newbies. This will be an interesting year as I have 29 people - men / women / children (11-14 years old) who have never been to a drag race. Nada ever.

We will all sit together and I emailed this past weekend some info "what you're going to see." Spec's on the 3 pro car classes and some also on Sportsman classes.

Of course I tell them to bring camera, ear plugs, etc. Over the past 20+ years I've converted 2 dozen to going every year. About 8 go with me to Pomona, Vegas, Phoenix. Their experiences, opinions and willingness to spend their entertainment dollars mirrors what you see at the big meets.

I'll report back after the Sonoma race on the new 29.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2017
JFerline JFerline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 103
Default

I hope it goes well for you. I have been taking 2 or 3 newbies to The Cavalcade of Stars @ Norwalk. It is a division 3 race with TAD and TAFC. Tickets are $10 and I have been giving the newbies the tickets. In 2010 I was going by myself. Now we have 5 people who go in our group to that race plus the newbies. Now if I can convince them to go to a National Event.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2017
satchseven satchseven is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 26
Default

I have taken friends and dates to national events and they all loved it. the ladies loved the colorful paint jobs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2017
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFerline View Post
I hope it goes well for you. I have been taking 2 or 3 newbies to The Cavalcade of Stars @ Norwalk. It is a division 3 race with TAD and TAFC. Tickets are $10 and I have been giving the newbies the tickets. In 2010 I was going by myself. Now we have 5 people who go in our group to that race plus the newbies. Now if I can convince them to go to a National Event.
The Night of Fire would be a more affordable way to introduce them to nitro. Maybe after going to one of those they may consider spending the big bucks for a national event.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2017
mgty3whlr mgty3whlr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: N/E Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,672
Default

Has anyone brought a Newbie to Nat. event that's always got something to say or cocky and you tell them get up to the ropes just as they are getting ready to fire up a nitro car because if they don't get up there when they fire them up, They won't be able to see over the crowd? Funny how they are fighting the crowd to get to some fresh air! Classic Stuff, I've done it, Chime in... How many others?
__________________
Horsepower: How hard you hit the wall
Torque: How far you take the wall with you
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2017
JFerline JFerline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgty3whlr View Post
Has anyone brought a Newbie to Nat. event that's always got something to say or cocky and you tell them get up to the ropes just as they are getting ready to fire up a nitro car because if they don't get up there when they fire them up, They won't be able to see over the crowd? Funny how they are fighting the crowd to get to some fresh air! Classic Stuff, I've done it, Chime in... How many others?
Love doing that and see them run from the nitro fumes. Only thing better was when they used to whack the throttle.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2017
Yvonne* Yvonne* is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfRacer View Post
Every year I host a bunch of people at the Sonoma race. Many are veterans and each year I get some newbies. This will be an interesting year as I have 29 people - men / women / children (11-14 years old) who have never been to a drag race. Nada ever.

We will all sit together and I emailed this past weekend some info "what you're going to see." Spec's on the 3 pro car classes and some also on Sportsman classes.

Of course I tell them to bring camera, ear plugs, etc. Over the past 20+ years I've converted 2 dozen to going every year. About 8 go with me to Pomona, Vegas, Phoenix. Their experiences, opinions and willingness to spend their entertainment dollars mirrors what you see at the big meets.

I'll report back after the Sonoma race on the new 29.
Sounds fun! I've invited new fans to several events, they always have fun and leave with a big smile!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2017
GolfRacer GolfRacer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
The Night of Fire would be a more affordable way to introduce them to nitro. Maybe after going to one of those they may consider spending the big bucks for a national event.
We all live within 80 miles of Sonoma so it's the obvious choice - especially for Friday night qualifying. It's cooler (106 here yesterday..yuck) and I make sure they get a tour of the entire facility.

Within reason I make sure they get a whiff of nitro with the car warming up. I did gross out one family a few years ago and they haven't come back. For some it's just too much.

I have it arranged that they'll get a tour of all 3 types of pro cars as well as some sportsman.

Over the years the over whelming complaint has been....the traffic. Sonoma is awful for getting out within 3 days!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-2017
slugbelch slugbelch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,849
Default California DOT Rules For Sonoma

Quote:
The problem comes into play in that there is a 65-foot limit for motorhomes and trailers which are used by many sportsman racers. According to one CA DOT official, there is no allowance/permit/etc. for this.
http://www.dragracingscene.com/news/...iH5HI.facebook
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2017
GolfRacer GolfRacer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
Yes, that's an issue but the main problem is 1 road in / out. The intersection of Hwy's 37 and 121. That's it. And it's tourist season for wine tasting plus the always crap Friday night commute.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.