CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 11-16-2016

Default Thats a good one

I like it - whats next new valve steams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
A new tire!!!! I can hardly contain myself.
Old 11-16-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
The wheels are turning slowly W., but they are turning.
Perhaps, but at least appearance wise the class is getting even further away from it's "stock" premise.

The very last "street equipment" requirement in the Rulebook was factory "stock headlight and taillight assembles must be retained in the stock original factory location". As of last month, this requirement will only apply to taillights. Headlights no longer have to follow this requirement. The Rulebook now gives the open ended "Headlight design must be approved by NHRA."

Evidently at least one current PS body deviates so much from factory dimensions and shapes that it can no longer hew to this requirement.

----------------------------
Old 11-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Perhaps, but at least appearance wise the class is getting even further away from it's "stock" premise.

The very last "street equipment" requirement in the Rulebook was factory "stock headlight and taillight assembles must be retained in the stock original factory location". As of last month, this requirement will only apply to taillights. Headlights no longer have to follow this requirement. The Rulebook now gives the open ended "Headlight design must be approved by NHRA."

Evidently at least one current PS body deviates so much from factory dimensions and shapes that it can no longer hew to this requirement.
I know you guys just want to change back to stock but it's not that easy. But I will say this it is going to start going back the other way towards stock but will take time so that the money end isn't absorbed all at once. The above rule is for the new camaro body for 17 they wanted to try and keep lots of stock dimensions in place and keep some aero to it and that was the compromise. I will say the intial pictures I have seen it is a step towards going back stock and think some will like it but can't please everyone specially if it's not coming out of there pocket.
Old 11-16-2016
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
I know you guys just want to change back to stock but it's not that easy. But I will say this it is going to start going back the other way towards stock but will take time so that the money end isn't absorbed all at once. The above rule is for the new camaro body for 17 they wanted to try and keep lots of stock dimensions in place and keep some aero to it and that was the compromise. I will say the intial pictures I have seen it is a step towards going back stock and think some will like it but can't please everyone specially if it's not coming out of there pocket.
Thanks for the reply....and the great info.

Look... I don''t blame the racers or the car builders. They were doing what they do when given the latitude. However, the sanctioning body could have insisted on retaining the dimensional integrity and factory appearing look of these cars long ago. But no.... In order to appease Dodge (in the name of "parity") in the late 1990's, they allowed the stretched and sectioned lump known as the Neon. Now look at where the class is....

I've followed the class since it's inception, so hopefully it gets back to what it's supposed to represent. I'll be cautiously optimistic....

Old 11-16-2016

Quote:

I've followed the class since it's inception, so hopefully it gets back to what it's supposed to represent. I'll be cautiously optimistic....
I'd be just fine with transitioning the current COPO, CobraJet and DragPak pieces into a newly defined Pro Stock class - and ditching the current configuration altogether. I sat in the stands at the Texas Motorplex a month ago and watched a ton of these cars trying to qualify - and I was thoroughly entertained by these low 8-second rides, that actually put the word 'STOCK' back into a professionally-prepared race car.

For us old guys, it's not just the raw numbers that impress.
Old 11-17-2016

I was reading a magazine at the hospital, they had a picture of Magehees camaro that won Indy. I almost think the hood scoops were shallower than that cowl from the angle they took the picture from.
Old 11-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I agree with Roger that in their case being down on power is likely the main culprit. But if you have a finicky tire it adds to the paramount need to be dead on with power management and track prep. You lose some fudge factor. I think the tire companies are constantly trying to improve on their products which is great for racers.
In Pro Stock, it's backwards from higher powered cars. Typically when a PS car shakes, they shake early from too much wheel speed. They generally don't have the weak suck shake 100 foot problem from being weak like Pro Mods, Alky cars and Nitro cars.

I have seen it happen at 100 feet in Pro Stock before, but it was from lack of power at the hit. The engine didn't have enough power at the foot swap to set the chassis onto the tire at the hit, so if it was geared normally, it would blow the tires off at the hit and shake since it had no weight transfer. So they took gear away and the motor would start building power and hitting it's power band at 100 feet and blow the tires off.
Old 11-18-2016

Quote:

So where are the photos of the new Camaro body that both McGaha and Skillman have talked about? Supposed to look more like a stock body...
Old 11-18-2016

Are teams obligated to run Good Years or are Hoosiers allowed??
Old 11-18-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MNYTYS View Post
So where are the photos of the new Camaro body that both McGaha and Skillman have talked about? Supposed to look more like a stock body...
Trying to get reliable information on this.....