CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-16-2018

With the countdown and so few cars entered at the events nowadays, all qualifying sessions have become test and tune sessions. Remember when it was not too long ago when it was touted that there were no provisionals in NHRA pro qualifying, back when qualifying actually meant something? Qualifying sessions were a separate competition unto themselves, not too long ago.
Old 06-17-2018
Super Moderator

I'm a little surprised the fuel cars had that much trouble. Expected some but it was more like this was everybody's first time on a hot track.
Old 06-17-2018
Super Moderator

Greg Anderson secures his 100th #1 Qualifier!

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...ff-on-race-day
Old 06-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I'm a little surprised the fuel cars had that much trouble. Expected some but it was more like this was everybody's first time on a hot track.

I read some quotes from racers who are racing there, (not fuel teams but other racers) and ALOT of them are not happy at all with the condition of the track, namely the big bumps it has developed over the years where the tunnels go under the track. They say its to the point of being dangerous. Many have said they wont go back until its fixed.

Looking at some of the fuel runs last night it looked like they were doing ok until they would hit one of the big bumps and unload the chassis....
Old 06-17-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp 670 View Post
I read some quotes from racers who are racing there, (not fuel teams but other racers) and ALOT of them are not happy at all with the condition of the track, namely the big bumps it has developed over the years where the tunnels go under the track. They say its to the point of being dangerous. Many have said they wont go back until its fixed.

Looking at some of the fuel runs last night it looked like they were doing ok until they would hit one of the big bumps and unload the chassis....
Hearing there are many complaints too. I've never been there but on TV it looks pretty bumpy!
Old 06-17-2018
Super Moderator

TF came around and everybody showed up to Rd 1 with full pulls. How about Salinas taking out Leah! Wow!
Old 06-17-2018

Quote:
lol... they wanted "no prep". Well... limited prep anyway. As to the bumps.... they spent big bucks to fix bumps in this track not all that long ago.
Old 06-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Flyer View Post
Top Fuel three rounds 41 passes with only 10 passes under 4 seconds. Great show.
143 deg track temp.
Old 06-17-2018

Quote:
TF came around and everybody showed up to Rd 1 with full pulls. How about Salinas taking out Leah! Wow!
5 out of 16 passes under 3 seconds, full pull or not, is not a good round.
Old 06-17-2018

I was there today, and from what I observed the racing was excellent. The fans sure seemed to enjoy the show, as the nitro cars made clean runs, with lots of exciting, close matchups. I was impressed and I am a bit skeptical and critical about the quality of professional nitro racing. The e.t.'s and speeds were down but it is apparent that nobody cares much about that, as long as the action moves along and the cars thunder.