CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 07-03-2012

Default What Track/What Year Did You See The Chi-Town Hustler?

What year, what track,did you see the Chi-Town Hustler race? For me it was that sold out show at the 'County" followed by the appearance at the greatest drag strip of all time, the best, Lions Drag Strip! Never forget my dad and I going down to East Irvine for that huge deal, stands just packed and the anticipation of that ride coming out of the curved staging lanes,then onto the cosy comfines of that epic piece of real estate located at 223rd & Alameda. The burnouts and performance rocked!!!!!!!!!

TopFuel@LIons...Strips@O.C.I.R....Burgers@Irwindale.. Lifetime Memories!
Old 07-03-2012

I first saw the Chi Town Hustler at Edgewater Dragway Park (Cincinnati Ohio area) in 1971. There was a 4 funny car show that featured The Snake, The Mongoose, The Chi Town Hustler and The Ramchargers. The Ramchargers crashed at Byron earlier in the week so Tommy Grove filled their spot on the bill. Legend has it that the Chi Town Hustler recorded the first funny car 6 second run at Edgewater (6.98) but that it wasn't reported because with it being a match race, rather than a national event, no one would believe it. The Chi Town Hustler was a local favourite here and ran here quite often.
Old 07-03-2012

Yeah, jgrig1 I know what you mean about having a car run a lot at your hometown or close strip.....We were that way with Jungle Jim at Fremont here in NorCal before he started touring and moved back East.....As to the ChiTown Hustler I actually forget whether it was at Fremont or Lions that I first saw the Hustler.....Man, what a car that has been down through the ages !!!........Go Mike with the latest one !!!.........................e
Old 07-03-2012

1975 or 1976---US 131--Martin, MI
Old 07-03-2012

I was in the Navy stationed at Newport, Rhode Island in 70-72 and they used to have Funny Car extravaganzas at both Connecticut and New England Dragways, each about a 2 hour drive. I'm not sure where I first saw the Hustler but it was probably at one of those shows. Each track used to get 20-30 funnies with Connie, Shirley, Jungle, King & Marshall, Federici, Broadway Freddy, Maybeck, Larson, Goeske, Gunther, Grose, Arrington, Burkhart, Chadwick, Shoe, Snake, the 'Goose and too many others to remember.

Those were special times when you didn't have to be a multi-millionaire to run a nitro car and it only cost $10 to go watch them. Many teams picked up help at the tracks and I helped out Harry and Maxine Lehman's "American Way" streamlined rear-engined Top Fueler whenever they needed me. It was a great time and I count myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience it.
Old 07-03-2012

1970, at the magnificent but soon-defunct Dallas International Motor Speedway.
Old 07-03-2012

I met a chick in Chicago in 1982 who hustled me out of $25! Does that count?
Old 07-04-2012

1969 - Rockford Dragway - its second outing.
Twomotor
Old 07-04-2012
Banned

Smile

York US 30.
Old 06-16-2018

Now a whole new generation get's to see it.

From Mick Sharpe's FB page June 13th:

"The recently purchased Chi Town Hustler is now in the UK for next month's Dragstalgia at Santa Pod."

https://www.facebook.com/mick.sharpe...17376864953260
https://www.facebook.com/ChiTownHust...97WJC9rA6nh3QQ