CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

View Poll Results: Which Brand of Pro Stock Car is Your Favorite?
Chevy 16 15.69%
Dodge 18 17.65%
Ford 60 58.82%
Pontiac 8 7.84%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2006

Tom, are there any plans to have the car out at any of the remaining events this year? And thanks for all the inside info! I was afraid he had quit.

I spent some time talking to Mr. Cunningham last year I think (it was the last year he ran most if not all of the events) at the Atlanta race and I thought he was a "regular" approachable guy. Not like most in the P/S field that has their pit area roped off, engine covered up and covers hanging all around and over the car. Mr. Cunningham made a lasting impression on me that day because he took the time and truly seemed like he wanted to talk about racing with me. The only reason I went to the race that year was to see the lone Ford in P/S attempt to qualify.

Well, I hope the whole package comes together for next year so I'll have someone to cheer for and a reason to watch and go to some events. My only reason for watching now is to pull for the underdogs and hope someone beats wj or ga on a holeshot.

Good Luck!
Old 10-02-2006
wwwrench

With Ford having major problems right now, it is a great opportunity to let Ford know. They know racing sells cars. It would be good for fans to let them know. Check it out at http://www.fordboldmoves.com
These folks are don't have a fix on the customer anymore. It could be time to open there eyes some. Lot's of Ford NHRA history was dealer backed as opposed to manufacturer backed, it's tight for dealers right now. But it's a great time to change that. Let em know, they listen better when they are watching there tails. It helps to let them know that nearly a third of the country will attend a powerade event this year, they advertise 2 cars at a time in NHRA instead of 20. It's the cheapest advertising return on the market.

Speak-up!
Old 10-02-2006
Toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayjah
Tom, are there any plans to have the car out at any of the remaining events this year? And thanks for all the inside info! I was afraid he had quit.

I spent some time talking to Mr. Cunningham last year I think (it was the last year he ran most if not all of the events) at the Atlanta race and I thought he was a "regular" approachable guy. Not like most in the P/S field that has their pit area roped off, engine covered up and covers hanging all around and over the car. Mr. Cunningham made a lasting impression on me that day because he took the time and truly seemed like he wanted to talk about racing with me. The only reason I went to the race that year was to see the lone Ford in P/S attempt to qualify.

Well, I hope the whole package comes together for next year so I'll have someone to cheer for and a reason to watch and go to some events. My only reason for watching now is to pull for the underdogs and hope someone beats wj or ga on a holeshot.

Good Luck!
Thanks...we will be in Richmond, mainly to go out and have some fun.....we plan on being in Fla in Jan for some extensive testing, then run all of the events next year.

Tom
Old 10-03-2006

Do you know who to send emails to rearding racing sponsoships? I would really like to see a Ford in NHRA Pro Stock and if an email campaign could at least give someone a few bucks or parts that would be a start. Ford used to be awfully proud of all of Bob Gliddens achievements. His pit area used to be crowded like Force's is now. Brian
Old 10-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.guggenmos
Do you know who to send emails to rearding racing sponsoships? I would really like to see a Ford in NHRA Pro Stock and if an email campaign could at least give someone a few bucks or parts that would be a start. Ford used to be awfully proud of all of Bob Gliddens achievements. His pit area used to be crowded like Force's is now. Brian
Right, they USED TO BE proud of Glidden. I guess that'll never happen again, Bob made sure of that.
Old 10-04-2006
Toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.guggenmos

You could try www.fordracing.com and use their contact form, or join the forum and start a new thread .

We would love the chance to make Ford and Ford fans proud again......

Most of the people that were involved with Bob have retired....

Thank you for your support

You might mention that this thread alone has had almost 1,000 views

Tom Sweeny
Cunningham Motorsports

Last edited by Toby; 10-04-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordflashback
Right, they USED TO BE proud of Glidden. I guess that'll never happen again, Bob made sure of that.

Anyone here ever read anything about Bob Glidden not being the brains behind the Ford engine that propelled him to domination from ’85-’89? A friend of mine has an uncle that was involved with Ford back in the Gapp&Roush days. He always had a less than positive view of Bob. At the same time he would never “tell the story” either. I always assumed it was a “Ford secret”, could have been a damaged ego as well. Makes you wonder why Bob was the only Ford back then. At least the only one you would see racing.
On a side note, back when Jim Yates hit it big in Pro Stock, he said Bob advised him against running a Ford. I read this right in the ND. ….
Old 10-04-2006
The_Leaker

competitivenes(ouch) , Ford and Prostock shouldnt be used in the same sentence...
Old 10-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordflashback
I'm hoping Jack Roush gets back into PS.
That's not going to happen. Jack seems pretty content with his involvement with NMRA and it's a perfect fit because he can develop and sell his Roush Mustangs there. Not to mention he's able to get involved with his children driving. In an interview in Race Pages, he even mentions that he would like to drive again if he had the time for it.
Old 10-04-2006

I was and still am a huge Bob Glidden fan. He has always very fan friendly. But I can also see that he is a very driven person and probably will never be happy working for/with someone else. I remember getting at the track when gates open and Bob would have his car scattered all over the place and other top teams did not even have the awnings pulled out yet. I have a whole wall in my shop of almost all of his handouts from over the years.
If any of you remeber the Budweiser Super Team that lasted all of one season around 1985 I heard a few Glidden stories then. I know that they had Bernstein, Glidden, Iaconio, Tinsley and VanCleeve. probably more but I can't remember. Anyway, a friend of mine was on VanCleeve's crew and I guess Bob did not want anything to do with anyone else on the team and that was that. He wanted to run his own show and at the time it would have been hard to disagree. He was winning alot of championships. I know towards the end of his Ford involvement he was getting frustrated with Fords lack of support. He felt that the Boss engine had reached the point of "diminishing returns". The wedge was just getting going. Would be interesting to see what he could do with the new heads that are similiar to DRCEIII and some developement time. I hope for the sport that he has not retired for good. Has anyone from the Jim Cunningham team ever contacted him to see if he would be interested? It may have already been said but Bob should do like the Grump and just do engines and let others run the show. Brian