CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 03-18-2016

Default Leah's Wish for Rivalry

I cruise around here and Nitromater and find it odd that nobody has posted anything about Leah's wish for a rivalry with BF. Rivalries are great but do you really need to bash a driver to start a rivalry? Did Brittany have an easier time getting where she is? Absolutely, but she came up through the ranks too. I just think it is not necessary to belittle someone else's accomplishments. It seems she really wants the publicity. The rivalry should be I kicked your butt on a hole shot and I will continue to do so because I am a better driver. My 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleanos View Post
I cruise around here and Nitromater and find it odd that nobody has posted anything about Leah's wish for a rivalry with BF. Rivalries are great but do you really need to bash a driver to start a rivalry? Did Brittany have an easier time getting where she is? Absolutely, but she came up through the ranks too. I just think it is not necessary to belittle someone else's accomplishments. It seems she really wants the publicity. The rivalry should be I kicked your butt on a hole shot and I will continue to do so because I am a better driver. My 2 cents.
I would suggest that old axiom, be careful what you wish for........
Old 03-19-2016

I agree about wanting to win by being the better driver, not going in on them for their opportunities. After struggling so long you'd think someone would be more humble and positive. How hard did Morgan Lucas have to struggle? Brandon Bernstein? Tony Shumacher?

One win and a text from Shirley and she's going all in. Seems catty. Kind of like what Shirley did with Lori Johns when she stepped on the scene. "Lori is more hype than anything else," says one of her severest critics, drag-racing legend Shirley Muldowney, 50. "She's a 2 who thinks she's a 10." Muldowney adds that she wishes Lori "would get some highlighter and fix her roots."

Of course Garlits didn't care too much for Shirley for similar reasons. "I resent her sitting in the cab of that truck filing her nails while those turncoat men flog her car for her," Garlits said in 1979. Muldowney has been strictly a driver. In fact, it was the lack of grease under her manicured nails that had so irked Garlits.

Never understood the concept of being negative while winning. Still don't here.
Old 03-19-2016

Bottom line is if Alan Johnson stays on the scene with Brittney Force for any length of time, then Brittney will wind up with a hell of a lot more race wins (and championships) than Leah will ever get. It's all about who's going to have the better running car and my $ is on Ms. Force over the long haul. So, Leah is up 1-0 in race wins, big whoop.
Old 03-19-2016
Administrator

True rivalries come naturally over time... "Wishing", targeting and hyping will equal a fail.

----------------------------
Old 03-19-2016

Its all run by business now. Maybe someone told her what to do.
Old 03-19-2016

I said I would give her a chance but the article about her showed why I shouldn't have even bothered with the benefit of the doubt to her. Personality is horrible
Old 03-19-2016

Agree Willy. Rivalries (and nicknames) are not wished upon, just search rivalry or rivalries here and you'll come up with a half dozen threads the last few years. They sprout up organic and are rare.
When was the last true rivalry, Hofmann/Force maybe?

http://espn.go.com/racing/racing/nhr...ory?id=3305523
Old 03-19-2016
Super Moderator

Rivalries can be good for the sport and I agree that the effective ones evolve on their own without being forced.

Maybe what's really bothering some folks is seeing a female take an aggressive stance? Women can be villainized when they step over a line that is usually reserved for men. Some people don't like to see competitive attributes in females. Are we expecting female racers to “kick a**” but don’t forget to bake cookies and be sweet at all times? I am NOT saying a woman has to act like a man to succeed. But competitiveness does have a darker more forceful side to it. I think there could be some conflicting attitudes at work here.

Kick butt sweetie, but don’t get too cocky and make sure to be a good little friend to everyone!! Huh? It’s a bit patronizing and I have yet to see anyone say that to John Force, Anderson, Line or a Pedregon. Taking pride in your National event win is not the same thing as being smug. Are we being fair with our assessment here?
Old 03-19-2016

In this day and age with this sport its far to easy to hit a slump and then you regret it because it makes you look the fool