CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddyhahn View Post
Agree here was thinking of going to Norwalk race. Just can't get motivated to drive four hours one way. This is a guy who has driven across he country four times.
I got my tickets to Norwalk and I'm driving 6 or 7 hours to get there. I just still really enjoy going to see it in person. Maybe it's because I don't have the nostalgia factor everyone else seems to have for the sport. Keep in mind, the first national event I got to see in person, nitro was already at 1000 feet.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I think people who look for the negative will always find something. The most frustrating thing is folks who are flat out ignoring the positive.

1) There are several new, young drivers and crew chiefs currently licensing and/or participating at the top level. We've seen several announcements on this already this season. (A third of the PS field is under 33 yrs old as an example.)

2) Several sold out events both last year and this year. Obviously, there's people attending the events.

3) TV and media coverage that has been seriously stepped up. Divisional coverage is starting to improve as well.

4) New sponsors continue to come on board with many teams and NHRA itself.

4) Many local venues holding successful big events at the grass roots level including a strong nostalgia presence. I've only heard of one small venue closing in the last two years.

5) Drivers and crew members who are contracted out to places like Australia to assist with teams in other countries. All good PR for the US.

6) New cars being built every year. As I understand it, Bickle has a two year waiting list!

Many more things we could name. Do we wish there were more teams at the Pro level? Of course! Everything in life ebbs and flows. As the organizations continue to be proactive, I think our future will continue on track. Some things might look different but nothing ever stays the same.
Also, don't forget Funny Car has been breaking track and national records all over the place the last couple seasons.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinNY View Post
Also, don't forget Funny Car has been breaking track and national records all over the place the last couple seasons.
X2 FC and Pro Mod have been worth the price of admission by far!!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinNY View Post
Maybe it's because I don't have the nostalgia factor everyone else seems to have for the sport. Keep in mind, the first national event I got to see in person, nitro was already at 1000 feet.
That fact alone means your opinion is irrelevant.

At least that's how some people here choose to see it.

Who cares?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Less than 20 years ago NHRA was getting close to 40 Pro Stock cars at a national event.

Now 14 to 15 is the norm.

Do the math.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
Less than 20 years ago NHRA was getting close to 40 Pro Stock cars at a national event.

Now 14 to 15 is the norm.

Do the math.
Where is the Like" button?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer12306 View Post
That fact alone means your opinion is irrelevant.

At least that's how some people here choose to see it.
Sorry, but No body's opinion is irrelevant to some of the "Nostalgia factor" group from as early as the 1950'S. The past "AIN'T" coming back & while the present and future are different - the whole world is different. It really doesn't matter how many cars or people are at a race as long as it feels good to the person watching or participating. Thanks Jeff for helping keep the proclaimed Grim Reaper away from the NHRA Drang Races.
P.S. Every one is entitled to their own opinion (And mine)😁
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
Every one is entitled to their own opinion (And mine)��
Did you mean, Every one is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong...
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
Sorry, but No body's opinion is irrelevant to some of the "Nostalgia factor" group from as early as the 1950'S. The past "AIN'T" coming back & while the present and future are different - the whole world is different. It really doesn't matter how many cars or people are at a race as long as it feels good to the person watching or participating. Thanks Jeff for helping keep the proclaimed Grim Reaper away from the NHRA Drang Races.
P.S. Every one is entitled to their own opinion (And mine)😁
wheres the like button,haha?just did a 400 miles trip,in 2 days on the sportster to see my 1st wife.my brother asked if I was goin to come for the finals at Pomona.he buys the whole short row.has for years.even tho I got friends racin in the pro classes,told him no.fuel pros are ok but the "super"classes are beyond stupid.grandstands filled with drunks,who in they're right mind wants to deal with that?i'd rather go to anything at famoso then deal with the crap at a nhra race.nostalgia racin rules,but maybe I like it cause i'm in the "nostalgia" age group.and i'm lucky because theres a bunch of nostalgia racers up here in the kern river valley(and roger gates is at the top of the list)that I know that live for the sport of "real" drag racin
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Here's what you guys are missing. When I was a kid in the sixties, every local racer strived to get to one of the four national events, be part of the 'big show'. I did, too, and even made it once or twice. Even in the seventies, an independent or a couple of guys with decent jobs could run a Pro Stock, or a Fueler, or even a FC. My cousin worked in a steel mill and had a Top Fueler in the midwest, using early Chrysler for power. There were tons of those guys.

Now, the divide between the rank and file that populate the local tracks and the Pros is tremendous, and much wider. The guy racing Super Pro, or whatever at Maple Grove on a weekly basis has absolutely nothing in common with what is going on on the big time circuit. There are much more, varied, big venues in all forms of drag racing, nostalgia, 10.5, specialty Ford, Mopar and Chevy events to keep everyone one plenty busy. I run the Nostalgia circuit, and will tell you I couldn't give a rat's butt what goes on in NHRA Championship racing. Most folks, in all the different venues feel the same way. Other than a passing interest, they have absolutely nothing in common with the current crop of Pros. Nothing.

The Pros, and the fans that post here that follow them, live in their own world totally devoid of what else is going on at the hundreds of local tracks, and thousands of local racers. The current Pro fields are not being replenished by the guys coming up through the ranks, they are generally sons or daughters of well to dos that can afford to buy a ride. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, if it can continue. But, it seems to me, less and less each year can, and that is why there seem to be dwindling numbers of cars, and the fact that two or three guys own most of them. As far as 8 car fields? Oh, I don't know, but it would seem inevitable when there are only 12-14 cars entered on a regular basis. But, again, that is to be determined.

Will it last? I dunno. Can't say. I know I'm really not all that interested, and I've been doing this since 1964. I love drag racing, and have for over 50 years. But, I can relate to nothing that goes on at a National event, sans some of the stock & ss classes. It is so much different than what I can recognize. And, the cost to attend! A thousand feet, look alike race cars, and drivers with the same last name. I look at this forum because in my retirement I'm bored sometime, and it can be interesting to read. But, it seems to me that your pool of racers and sponsors seem to get smaller every year.
Closed Thread