CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2017

... only 13 TF cars qualified in E2.

We used to go Fri. and Sat. to see more cars run, but no longer need to do that anymore.
Old 06-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I think people who look for the negative will always find something. The most frustrating thing is folks who are flat out ignoring the positive.

2) Several sold out events both last year and this year. Obviously, there's people attending the events.
Beat me to the punch on this. Your other points are equally good.

Are we really having this discussion again? I',m not thrilled with the short fields either, but they don't seem to be hurting things as badly as one would think.

Last edited by HEMI_guy; 06-10-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
Sorry, but No body's opinion is irrelevant to some of the "Nostalgia factor" group from as early as the 1950'S. The past "AIN'T" coming back & while the present and future are different - the whole world is different. It really doesn't matter how many cars or people are at a race as long as it feels good to the person watching or participating. Thanks Jeff for helping keep the proclaimed Grim Reaper away from the NHRA Drang Races.
P.S. Every one is entitled to their own opinion (And mine)😁
I agree 100%. Maybe my sarcasm didn't come off well enough.

Unfortunately, there are enough nostalgia aficionados here that are always "right" and no one else matters.

Who cares?
Old 06-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Beat me to the punch on this. Your other points are equally good.

Are we really having this discussion again? I',m not thrilled with the short fields either, but they don't seem to be hurting things as badly as one would think.
If they become short enough it will hurt far more.
Old 06-11-2017

Default changes

Well, through out the its gone from a sport to a business : confused
:
Old 06-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myasis Dragon View Post
I was at Indy on Monday and they were lucky if the stands were 30% full. I did a quick estimate of butts in seats based on grandstand dimensions, rows, generic seat width and came up with about 20,000 including those in the pits etc. They might have been there on Sat. and Sun. but it was pretty bare on Monday. I can remember going there and seeing most seats filled and an advertised 50-60,000 in the place.

We're dying off and not being replaced.
For the 500? Or a Div. race in Clearmont?
Old 06-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoGrump View Post
its coming up on 10 years for me since I been to a race and I used to attend at least 2 races a year religiously, since the 70's. while i'm somewhat disgruntled about some of the changes over the years, if I had to pinpoint the true reason I don't go anymore is simply me getting older and more lazy, not wanting 6 hours of driving and another 7 hours at the track plus all the people I used to go with are no longer around plus I haven't really run into anyone who's into it enuff to attend live. so I figure i'm the typical dinosaur drag racing fan ur referring to
That's understandable...but it's not so much about attending
Old 06-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
I have not seen that guy that predicted the end 15 times a year for a while now.

The end talk will start again when someone blows a top fuel tire going 345, well not the first guy, they will blame something on the track, but the next one.
I think about 10 people on here fit that scenario.
Old 06-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I think people who look for the negative will always find something. The most frustrating thing is folks who are flat out ignoring the positive.

1) There are several new, young drivers and crew chiefs currently licensing and/or participating at the top level. We've seen several announcements on this already this season. (A third of the PS field is under 33 yrs old as an example.)

2) Several sold out events both last year and this year. Obviously, there's people attending the events.

3) TV and media coverage that has been seriously stepped up. Divisional coverage is starting to improve as well.

4) New sponsors continue to come on board with many teams and NHRA itself.

4) Many local venues holding successful big events at the grass roots level including a strong nostalgia presence. I've only heard of one small venue closing in the last two years.

5) Drivers and crew members who are contracted out to places like Australia to assist with teams in other countries. All good PR for the US.

6) New cars being built every year. As I understand it, Bickle has a two year waiting list!

Many more things we could name. Do we wish there were more teams at the Pro level? Of course! Everything in life ebbs and flows. As the organizations continue to be proactive, I think our future will continue on track. Some things might look different but nothing ever stays the same.
Wish more thought like you and I!
Old 06-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
1) All but 2 events not having full fields. Two or three events only having 14 cars. The last one, 2 of the 3 pro categories not full.

2) Record ratings last week. 1.2 million people watched. 1 million of them old people.

3) Approx. half the events unsponsored at the beginning of the year. As of today, 9 are still unsponsored.

4) TF only has 10 cars full time.

5) Manufacturers Midway shrinking

6) Pro payout dismal

Still my favorite sport to view (Online not TV), but not attend. But then again, I'm 50...old.
Family and friends have no interest in the sport and to spend $$$ at old, run down tracks near us.
Slug is right....it's all Over!
Closed Thread