CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 11-20-2010

Default NHRA Full Throttle Driver Salaries?

The question was in another thread & to give what I see would be off topic in that thread.
The question has been asked about what a Professional level NHRA driver makes per year. While it is not really important what an individual driver/rider’s W2 or 1099 reports, getting an idea from top to bottom is what some want to know. The first thing to realize is there are not that many “Pure” drivers, (drivers that are not related to the car by family, monetary support {brought sponsorship} or work for the company in some other capacity). Even though things always change, especially with drivers in the Pro categories now being professional (it’s a job), it is hard to tell if there is any baseline. In the old days most drivers usually drove for 25% of the win money or 30% starting after the 1st round. Todays harsh reality seems to look like this:
Taking the top 20 in the 4 Pro categories + Cunningham’s drivers you can see that there are only 18 spots available in the NHRA Full Throttle Series that are basically private contractors. When you take away the drivers that bring something else to the party there only appears to be 9 at best. The rest have other duties or interests than only driving. If there are only less than a dozen drivers in the NHRA pro ranks that are solely dependant on their driving abilities to keep their jobs with some of them not really depending on the income from driving, the amount that a NHRA Full Throttle driver/rider makes becomes hard to average. It also seems that there are not an abundance of job opportunities. What an owner pays a family member or otherwise employee has to be included in their overall pay. The idea of drivers getting 6 figure BASE salaries appears to be a little generous. I could see a few Crew Chiefs earning that money, but also believe that base salaries along with a percentage of the win/place money is more the case in both categories. I guess driving is the same as the rest of Drag Racing: On average "The way to make a little money in Racing is to start out with a lot."

** = Driver only
* = Driver that brings something

Top Fuel:
Larry Dixon **
Cory McClenathan + *
Antron Brown **
Shawn Langdon **
Steve Torrence ** (maybe)
David Grubnic *
Troy Buff *

F/C
Matt Hagan *
Jack Beckman ** (full time driving instructor)
Del Worsham **
Ron Capps **
Jeff Arend **
Paul Lee *
Melanie Troxel *

P/S
Jason Line *
(Erica Enders) - Not in top 20
(Bob Glidden) - * Driving not primary job

Pro Stock Bike
Eddie Krawiec **
Old 11-20-2010

but a few of those **'s are also spokesmodels for the sponsor. Does ron capps get paid extra for the tv commercials? Do drivers get paid for "appearances" around the country on behalf of their sponsors or does their 250K salary include being a spokesmodel?
Old 11-20-2010

this thread appears to be an EPIC FAIL.
Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
but a few of those **'s are also spokesmodels for the sponsor. Does ron capps get paid extra for the tv commercials? Do drivers get paid for "appearances" around the country on behalf of their sponsors or does their 250K salary include being a spokesmodel?
You stated in another thread that Robert Hight was under paid. Now you talk about a 250K salary. You've been asked by me and others what these salaries are. Now you're asking Roger these questions that supposedly you knew the answers to. Do you know what Robert is being paid? Do you know who gets a 250K salary?
Old 11-20-2010

Default Money Money Money

I'll drive any pro car for $1.
Old 11-20-2010
Administrator

Matt Hagan brings significant Shelor Motor Mile money.....give him **

----------------------------
Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Matt Hagan brings significant Shelor Motor Mile money.....give him **
this deserves a +1
Old 11-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63StingRay View Post
I'll drive any pro car for $1.
Now ask yourself how many people would pay to drive a pro car for a weekend.........
Old 11-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
You stated in another thread that Robert Hight was under paid. Now you talk about a 250K salary. You've been asked by me and others what these salaries are. Now you're asking Roger these questions that supposedly you knew the answers to. Do you know what Robert is being paid? Do you know who gets a 250K salary?
All I remember was Ron Capps saying that Robert Hight was the most underpaid driver when he was overtaking everyone for his title, no numbers were ever given. Thats probably the worst source of information, but he said it for a reason. The 250k numbers were thrown around a few years ago, where driver and crew chief were making the same money. I keep checking this thread because I thought roger knew or had numbers, not that it really matters..
Old 11-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
All I remember was Ron Capps saying that Robert Hight was the most underpaid driver when he was overtaking everyone for his title, no numbers were ever given. Thats probably the worst source of information, but he said it for a reason. The 250k numbers were thrown around a few years ago, where driver and crew chief were making the same money. I keep checking this thread because I thought roger knew or had numbers, not that it really matters..
No, it doesn't really matter. I'm curious and I thought maybe you knew. It's surprising how quickly a rumor can become fact but salaries for crew chiefs and drivers is a well guarded secret.