CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > Competition Collectibles

Old 12-18-2010

Default 1-8 scale scratchbuilt donovan 417

i wanted to build a donovan for a project of mine (aa/fa). it was looking pretty bleak finding any real info that i needed but, as luck would have it a friend of mine, mike hall, who's father, harry hall (of shenandoah funny car fame) lent me his extensive file on the donovan. well, i got the engine completed and as a small token of appreciation, i built harry a one off version. here is that engine. it is scratchbuilt except for the blower, which is an r.p. unit i had TDR make for me. i hope you all enjoy and of course all comments and critiques are welcome.

again, many thanks to harry and mike hall and merry christmas to you all!
Old 12-18-2010

holy wow! incredible work.... how did you get the 'DONOVAN 417' relief in the bottom of the block? those letters are so small, all i could think was you hand carved them out of the aluminum one by one... or did you cast the block yourself? and those valve covers are great, they look cast as well, with all their slight imperfections... they look so real it's freaky...

with all this tremendous amount of work you put into it, have you ever built a working engine?? i mean, you have all the tools, and obvious skills... i've seen the vids of the miniature engines on YouTube that actually run... albeit your engines are a lot smaller.
Old 12-18-2010

thanks for the nice reply , ratonabike. the engine itself was actually mastered out of a product called ren-shape. the letters on the crank girdle are from a a company called plastruct. here is a shot of it in process.

here's a shot of the girdle on the block.

prime it, sand it and paint it. i used metalizer aluminum plate on the block.

i have built an 1:8 scale all aluminum hemi for another project but i haven't built a small scale running unit. for now i'll keep the running units at full scale. just for conversation, i have built a few cool 1:1 units that i have raced over the years. ranging from an all aluminum sbc to a 598 svo ford motor to some drce and drce ll units. full scale racing is the best but, in between i've found modelling is abunch of fun.